rebmeM roinuJ
    Post Thanks / Like

Will a toothbrush scratch?

I need to do some engine detailing. This thing is a mess. I think it would look really good if I were able to get in there with the right brushes. My question is if using a toothbrush or a wheel brush is going to leave the painted surfaces like the wheel wells looking all scuffed up or anything? The paint is still in pretty good condition under the hood and I don`t want to make it look worse by cleaning it. What would you use to get around the painted areas under the hood?
    If you would just listen to me, other people won`t think you are as stupid as you really are.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Blinded:
    Glad to see you posting again.
    1" , 1.5", 2" paint brushes work pretty good for me under the hood. I tape the metal sleeve that holds the bristles so it doesn`t scratch things. I just buy a cheap assortment at a discount store. Here again, since I am mostly taking care of my own vehicles, it is not that difficult to clean things up. I try to do it often enough that I don`t have to deal with any caked or baked on oily dirt.
    I don`t think a toothbrush is going to do much damage in the engine compartment, though.

Charles

rebmeM roinuJ
    Post Thanks / Like
    How long would those spongey brushes last doing engine detail work? I worry that they would get snagged and fall apart before very long. Sometimes I wish I could just create the tools I need on the spot. When you spend all day doing computer graphics you get used to just creating the brush shape you need for a particluar job. I wish I could do that wile cleaning to. hahaha
    If you would just listen to me, other people won`t think you are as stupid as you really are.

Wherever there is a mullet... I'll be there.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve used a tooth bursh before. As long as you are careful that you don`t whack the plastic head around while you are brushing then it should be fine. Don`t scrub too hard either. Use lots of whatever you are using to clean with so you can loosen up the crap and make it easier to brush off. Don`t use a brush you wouldn`t use on your wheels is my motto.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    The sponge brushes are not what I use, so I have no idea how they stand up. The bristle brushes will get messed up, but they do last quite a long time and they can be purchased pretty cheap.

Charles

Wherever there is a mullet... I'll be there.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Charles, do you have problems loosing bristles and messing things up with those brushes? That would look bad if there were stray bristles stuck in different parts of the engine bay if you were doing your car for a show or for something like that.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by The Fuzz
    Hey Charles, do you have problems loosing bristles and messing things up with those brushes? That would look bad if there were stray bristles stuck in different parts of the engine bay if you were doing your car for a show or for something like that.
    Nope. The bristles will get all bent out of shape, but they don`t seem to shed. Don`t do shows, but it would still look bad, even though I might be the only one to see it.

Charles

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like the foam ones for applying and spreading dressing in the engine compartment as well as the outside trim...better ones can be found at arts and crafts supply stores..as far as tooth brushes go...i use either very soft adult ones or children`s brushes which are much more gentle... and Blinded...no bleach..lol
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am going to try using a brush from Grip Tech for wheels in my engine compartment next. I really need to take off my intake manifold and just take a wire wheel to it.
    http://tassadar.ezekial.net

Thread Information