Post Thanks / Like

Advice needed from pros and semi pros

Greeting all - I am new to the forum and the owner of a new Acura TL-TypeS in antharsite Grey that I want to keep looking very very good -

I am not adverse to working 4 hours on a weekend to shine up my car (I have a wen 10" random orbital polisher/waxer)

I have always done the following - wash once a week (hand, except in winter then touchless)

Wax once a month (except in winter - since it seems to take for ever to haze)..

So I have all these various products but I would like advice on what aresenal I should have to keep it simple and keep it shiny -

so here goes -

what is a good vinyl protectant that doesn`t leave the dash shiny/greasy looking?

What is a good glass cleaner (I have invisible glass but it does not seem to do what it says it does) -

I know I am not supposed to use petrolium based dressings on my leather (right now I use Zymol Leather Cleaner) - what is a good leather conditioner that again will not leave the leather shiny and sticky and keep up the nice mat look of it?

(I am not going to start a what is the best wax war - I have read through enough posts to form opinions)..but

I will go through my current routine -

Wash with Dawn - (only on the waxing day)

Meg`s paint scurbber if needed (#1)
    Meg`s Polish (#2)
    and oddly enough I prefer Mother`s pure carnuba for # 3

my final question is should I mix in a sealent? If so what is easy to use (Klasse?) or other?

thanks in advance all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to DC Groebuck.....

I`m a fan of Poorboys Natural Look on the vinyl after it`s been cleaned. Natural Look can also be used on leather, but I don`t know if it has conditioners (it looks really nice on good leather). For the leather I would go with Platinum because it has conditioners and I use this in my own car. The Platinum has a nice leather scent that`s not overpowering.

For glass, I`m pretty basic and use Stoners or Sprayway glass cleaner.

I`m not a fan of the Dawn wash, especially if your going to be using a paint cleaner anyway. The Dawn is used to remove old wax and a paint cleaner will also remove the old wax as well. One of my favorite combinations is, wash, clay, Klasse AIO followed by Platinum sealant. Once the sealant has cured 1-2 days, top it off with a quality carnuba wax (eg. P21S, Trade Secret etc). There`s been some debate as to whether the wac will add additional depth to the shine but it definitely doesn`t hurt the shine or protection...so why not.

Others may be along to offer additional products but hopefully this is a start.
    Ringo

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Advice needed from pros and semi pros

Welcome to Detail City! Whew! Lots of questions. Others will have other products they like to use, so at the risk of offending many here are mine:

Originally posted by groebuck
    what is a good vinyl protectant that doesn`t leave the dash shiny/greasy looking?

I happen to like the Einszett line for my vinyl: Plastik-Reiniger (cleaner), Tiefenpfleger (protectant), and Cockpit Premium (quick detailer). Lots of solks swear by 303 and Lexol Vinylex.

What is a good glass cleaner (I have invisible glass but it does not seem to do what it says it does) -

Stoners IG all the way for my glass. Safe for tint. If you`re getting streaks, try using less.

I know I am not supposed to use petrolium based dressings on my leather (right now I use Zymol Leather Cleaner) - what is a good leather conditioner that again will not leave the leather shiny and sticky and keep up the nice mat look of it?

Platinum Ultimate Leather Conditioner. (I`m a convert from the Lexol line.)
    [/B]
    By the way.... Nice car, and beautiful color! I think for sealants, you might want to look into either Klasse or the Platinum Ultimate Paint Protection (UPP). Both result in great shine, but from my limited exposure to UPP, it is easier to work with.

Hope that helps!
    Dawn
    `01 Buick Regal GS - Charcoal grey - GONE
    `01 Ford Ranger XLT - Dark blue
    `05 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Stone White

Thread Information