Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

My take on EX-P (no 56k!)

My shipment from Steve arrived yesterday that I was anxious to try.

I ordered the Professional Polish, SSR1, and EX-P.

Prior to this combo I had PwC with EX and it gave it a nice wet look, but I`ve always prefered reflectivity over deep. That is why I decided to try this one.

I started off using the Pro polish on a Meg`s polishing pad set on 5.0 and worked it in.

Followed up with SSR1 with another Meg`s polishing pad.

Topped off with 2 coats of EX-P with a Meg`s finishing pad (about 24 hrs between each coat).

I`m impressed with all three products, each went on easy and came off even easier.

I was surprised that just a little of the Pro polish can go a long way. On the first panel I thought I wasn`t applying enough to the pad because it kinda soaks in, but when I started buffing it went everywhere! Way too much product on my part. Once I learned it, it was smooth sailing. It gave a nice clean and clear look. I am going to try this on my windows next.

SSR1 was like I expected, very easy to work with and wiped off effortlessly. It gave a nice glow! I would compare this to Meg`s #9, but with much nicer shine.

The moment I was waiting for, EX-P!!
    I opened the bottle and a nice strong bold scent of coconut emerged!! I love the smell, kudos to Steve on choosing it! I love it. I applied a few dabs to the pad and worked it in. It goes on very easy, practically glides across the paint. I did the entire truck, and waited about an hour before starting to remove it. I grabbed a MF towel, a Poorboy`s one that came in the order :-p and made my first swipe. WOW! If anyone has used PwC before, you know how easily it wipes off, well this puts everything to shame... it almost wants to come off by itself. SUPER EASY.

I did the entire truck in the hot humid LA sun and the job was effortless.

I still like the look of EX w/ Carnauba, and I`m glad I have it. But overall I prefer the new EX-P and it will be the one I used the most. I like the combo I used very much.

The only thing I can see that is more benefitial to EX is that it masks scratches a little better and if someone prefers a deep look I would recommend it.

Pics:

Boss_429
    It looks great! Nice review, and great job on the truck!

Post Thanks / Like
    :yeah

I was expecting to receive it today, sunshiny weekend ahead and nothing! No EX-P, no Wolfgang.... :nono

Guess I`ll go take a ride to the seaside with my kids then :dancin
    Portuguese details detalhe.net

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    :yeah

:eek your truck looks great... your description and use of Pro Polish is also right on the money
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for posting such a detailed review.

I was interested in hearing about how EX-P would perform in warm and humid climates. I`ve been using it in cold Northeastern US temperatures with the same results you described. I`m glad to know that I can look forward to a simple application and removal process even during the hot and muggy summer months.

Post Thanks / Like
    What do you guys think about EX-P topped with Original EX? On my black Benz, I was thinking EX-P for extra protection, and Orig. EX for the extra depth? Good idea, or not?

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chris it will be interesting to see....on black I might do it the other way and get the gloss from the EX and then seal over it with EX-P:dunno
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Steve...

I`m going to give it a shot and see... I was worried that EX topped with EX-P won`t bond as well as the other way around. But I haven`t seen any finicy characteristics with PB products...so I`m not worried either way!

thanks again and look forward to getting some EX-P from Ranney!

-Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Chris Y.
    What do you guys think about EX-P topped with Original EX? On my black Benz, I was thinking EX-P for extra protection, and Orig. EX for the extra depth? Good idea, or not?
    IMHO that may not be a great combo. While EX and EX-P are similar in many respects, they do result in somewhat different appearance characteristics. By using them together, you may wind up cancelling out their best qualities. :dunno

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d like to get this settled in my head.

Which is more abrasive Pro Polish or SSR1? If PP is less abrasive why would I want to use it prior to SSR1?
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

My L5-S1 is killing me! wifehatescar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`m confused too. If ssr1 is abrasive and pp is not, *I* would think the method ranch 4x4 used was backwards

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by awd330
    IMHO that may not be a great combo. While EX and EX-P are similar in many respects, they do result in somewhat different appearance characteristics. By using them together, you may wind up cancelling out their best qualities. :dunno
    Thanks awd330...

I`m going to try EX-P alone and see how I like it. If it lacks the depth I`m looking for, I`ll top with Pinnacle Souveran or Natty Wax.

I`m not sure if you notice this with your 330xi, but with my 745Li and my E55 (both black), I get terrible water spotting after a rain storm with the hot hood. I tried a coat on Collinite 915 on the 7 and it really helped to cut down on the water spots. Other areas of the car are ok...

But a quick spray down with S&W takes care of the spots...

Boss_429
    Originally posted by wifehatescar
    I`m confused too. If ssr1 is abrasive and pp is not, *I* would think the method ranch 4x4 used was backwards
    PP is abrasive................ just not as abrasive as SSR1.

Post Thanks / Like
    So would the corrrect order be, for example: SSR2, PP or PwC, SSR1, EX or EX-P? I`m just confused too...

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Boss_429
    PP is abrasive................ just not as abrasive as SSR1.
    BINGO!!!! That`s what I thought. I always assume that any polish is abrasive...at least micro-abrasive.

Chris Y....
    SSR then Pro Polish is the proper process.....always going from the most abrasive to the least to get the highest polish/luster to the surface. :beer

So, wash, clay, then maybe wash again, or do a Spray & Wipe, or move on to polishes...your choice. Then SSR 3,2,1, Polish with or without carnuba to get the final luster, then cover with a wax or sealant, i.e. EX or EX-P, or Nattys.

In most cases, unless there is significant marring to the surface the heavier cutting SSR`s (#3 and #2) won`t be needed. For instance, my truck is very smooth, very little swirling, so when the weather is ready I`ll be cranking up the PC and going with Pro Polish (no carnuba) then EX-P.

I`m skipping the SSR`s because I don`t have many swirls and the truck is white. If there is as little swirling after the PP (and I don`t think there will be) then it won`t show with the white finish anyway.

I don`t want the carnuba look on the white paint. I just want a fantastic clear shine and that`s what I get with work and Poorboys polished followed by his sealant. I`m sure that I`ll like the new EX-P even better than the EX and I loved the EX!

Chris Y...the process is always the same...clean the surface (wash), use the clay bar to pick up contaminates that might be stuck to the paint (the clay is sticky so it picks up the "stuff" rather than rubbing them off), then get rid of the heavier marks like scratches, then the swirls, (SSR 3 then 2, then 1) then bring it to a high luster with a final polish (PP or PwC) and then put a protective cover on the final luster with a wax or sealant (EX or EX-P).

It really helped me to see that process. It makes everthing else....like product selection and needs, much easier.

And, by the way, that`s why I like Poorboys stuff. You can get the whole process done with your buying done from one source and all those products are regarded by knowledgeable detailers as very high quality products... and you are buying from a guy...like you and me...as opposed to a big corporation...and the guy is very nice, very knowledgeable/experienced/helpful and has integrity. It`s simple, sweet and perfect.
    Last edited by JimS; 03-13-2004 at 01:13 PM.
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information