Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Interior Care

Interior Care Fabric? Vinyl? Leather? Alcantara? Wood? Plastic? Discuss how to identify your interior surfaces and use the right product and technique for the best results.

Closed Thread
 Page 1 of 2   1   2 >

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 02-27-2011

Default Mothers VLR Review

I had a chance to try out some Mothers VLR this weekend so here is a quick review.

Mothers describes this product as a cleaner, conditioner, and protectant for vinyl, leather, and rubber surfaces.

Product specifics:
1. Size: 24 oz. with sprayer
2. Direction = spray surface then wipe with a microfiber or terry cloth towel. Wipe. Shake well during use.
3. Consistency - liquid (not quite as thick as Protectant)
4. Scent - mild leather like

Test Section
I taped off the upper part of the door to try a side by side comparison of an untreated section and treated section. I also did the center console and the front seats (protected leather in seating areas, vinyl elsewhere).

Usage notes
I sprayed VLR on an terry cloth applicator for the door panels since I always get whatever it is on glass so I did not follow the directions. It is quite wet after application (runnier than Mothers Protectant) and spreads evenly.

Left alone, it will dry a lot (evaporate) on its own without buffing. I buffed the surface down after letting it sit for a 10 to 15 seconds.

As shown in pictures, it darkens the surface. It will look darker initially but lightens as it dries. Interestingly, it does not seem to add more gloss. I should have done a side by side with Mothers Protectant but I think it has less gloss.

I did not really have anything dirty so I really did not test its cleaning ability to any extent.

I also applied it to my protected leather seats. Given the consistency, it is not like a traditional leather conditioner or even some protectants. It did not really seem to change the color like it did on the darker surfaces or add any significant slickness that some leather care products do. This slickness increase is on the low end of the scale.

Summary
My initial thought was this is a product you would use like every few months but it seems to be more a cleaner/detailer for more regular use. I think of this product as Mothers version of a quick interior detailer -- something that cleans with some basic protection. I doubt there is a "buildup" issue due to regular use.

The side by side difference on the center console seems more distinct but it does depend on how the light reflects. I saw no difference on the the lighter surfaces including not much change in surface gloss.

This shows the initial untreated door panel surface:

DSC_2542-1

After application:

DSC_2545-1

This shows the consistency. I was expecting something thicker but it is quite liquid.

DSC_2555-1

Without tape

DSC_2548-1

Center console (the tape was there to serve as a focus point for the camera

DSC_2551-1

Note: Pics shot all pics at ISO1600 to keep from having to use the flash.

Last edited by abnot; 02-27-2011 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-27-2011
Administrator

Default Re: Mothers VLR Review

Really appreciate the nice write-up!

For those who haven't seen our VLR, here are the highlights:

VLR Vinyl-Leather-Rubber Care
Mothers® VLR quickly and easily cleans, conditions and protects a wide variety of vinyl, leather and rubber surfaces. This pro-strength, pH balanced formula safely cleans even the most stubborn ground-in dirt, soil and stains. Infused with neat’s-foot oil and lanolin, this all-in-one blend conditions and protects against drying, fading and cracking, in one simple step.

#06524, 24 oz.

Available now at AutoZone, select independent auto parts stores and online.

And be sure to "Like" us on Facebook for updates on what we're doing!
Old 03-12-2011

Here is a follow up report. I got the car back from the dealership and noticed that I had picked up some greasy hand prints on the door arm rest. Since I had not had anything really dirty in my initial review, I decided to see what VLR would do.

Method: VLR applied to terry cloth applicator.

Notes: The before and after shows it does clean. I did not detect any darkening effect.

Before

DSC_2565-1

Control section marked to highlight any difference. Interestingly, the grime showed up better when the light was slightly different.

DSC_2566-1

After tape removed

DSC_2567-1

Done

DSC_2568-1
Old 03-12-2011
Administrator

Thank you for the follow-up!

You might also notice that you can use VLR on adjacent hard plastics. And if you do happen to get overspray on the glass, it is easy to wipe off and does not leave any greasy streaks.

VLR is a really nice, friendly product that is pleasant to use!

Old 05-18-2011

OK, just got myself this new VLR and tried it on a variety of materials inside our cars (yep, on leather, vinyl, and a few rubber pieces) and even my shoes. It almost smells like reflections leather care, but this VLR has a slightly sweeter smell to it.

I like the look it gives, not glossy at all but rich and "detailed" look. On our e39 bmw (black interior) i'd use this on a regular basis. Reflections leather care ultimately is my number 1 leather care product, but this VLR is a very close 2nd.

VLR for me seems to be primarily made for leather with a few ingredients adjusted to also suit vinyl and rubber surfaces. Leather in my experience is a lot more sensitive than synthetic surfaces.
Old 10-15-2011

...just a side note: for shooting with an ASA of 1600 those pics came out exceptionally well with no grain.
Old 02-14-2012

In the warnings section on the bottle it says not to use on hard plastic, but admin says it is safe...
Quote:
You might also notice that you can use VLR on adjacent hard plastics
I'm confused.

My dash and door panels are made from plastic, (i think... new VW Polo)so, is it safe to use VLR on it? or its better to use the Protectant...?
Old 02-14-2012
Administrator

Door panels tend to have harder plastics, especially in the lower sections, that may see abuse from the simple task of entering and exiting the vehicle.

So you'll see both harder plastics and vinyls and other finishes on door panels, and often even fabrics.

VLR cleans and protects these plastic and vinyl surfaces, but avoid any fabrics.

Protectant protects these same surfaces, and likewise, avoid any fabrics.

What you use would be a personal choice, and neither one would be wrong.

Spray either on a towel and apply to the finish.

Old 02-14-2012

thanks a lot!

In other words, everything (inside the car) except transparent plastics and fabric. right?
Old 02-14-2012
Administrator

Pretty much, yes.

You can use Showtime Instant Detailer on bright surfaces and clear, transparent or high-gloss plastics such as lenses, environmental and audio/visual systems.

Old 05-09-2012

ive been using VLR ever since it was released here in Australia & i swear by it. another top quality product from mothers that actually works!!

cheers mike
Old 05-10-2012

VLR is a good product for most interiors of today's cars. Since many if not all cars today have a mix of vinyl and leather, this VLR fits in very nicely. Leaves a natural, deep, satin look on dark/black interiors, cleans well too. But for cars with mostly leather interior, my pick is still the reflections advanced leather care, and it smell a bit better. Both are good products, VLR does have an advantage in that it can be applied to a bit more surfaces than reflections.

However, I may be wrong here, i find that reflections seem to be better in cleaning, while VLR has a bit more sheen to it.

Last edited by ffboy; 05-10-2012 at 06:37 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 05-11-2012

i havent tried reflections yet, but will do soon to see how it goes against the VLR in the cleaning aspect.
Old 05-11-2012

Reflections Leather Care is nice, but I hope i haven't given you reason to get reflections, especially if you're happy with VLR and if your car has Vinyl and other materials for the interior, VLR may be all you need for your interior. The reason i like reflections is its the first cleaner/conditioner from mothers that i used, and i was pleasantly surprised at how effectively it cleans. The VLR came a bit later, and i used in on our e39 which had black interiors, so i never really had to "clean" it since the dark interior doesn't show as much dirt accumulation as light colored ones, plus it was sort of assigned to that car already.
Old 06-05-2013

How often should Mothers VLR be reapplied for protection/conditioning?
Old 06-05-2013

It depends on how the car is used. For me, I apply 2x a month (meaning I deep clean with it 2x a month), but for simple wipe down, I use it a bit more frequently.
Old 06-06-2013

I would think once per month is sufficient but could be used as of often as you like.
Old 07-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Pretty much, yes.

You can use Showtime Instant Detailer on bright surfaces and clear, transparent or high-gloss plastics such as lenses, environmental and audio/visual systems.
Hello,

The matte finish is achieved with both products (VLR and Protectant)?

BR
Old 07-14-2013

VLR, Protectant does give a matte finish

But I think admin was saying is that cars' interiors have a variety of surface and materials. From glossy (or glossy-clear) hard surfaces, to hard textured matte surfaces, to soft supple matte vinyl or leather or a combination of the two, it is recommended (better) to use showtime since it will behave in much the same way as when used on paint. Using VLR or Protectant really won't ruin the finish, but it won't be as easy to use or get the ideal results.

For the low gloss plastics or surfaces (like dashboards, door panels, seats, center console), VLR, Protectant will give matte finish when used as directed.
Old 07-15-2013

If I ranked them. Protectant leaves a shinier surface than VLR which is almost natural after it sits for a while. You can control this somewhat by how you apply it such as applying an applicator then wiping rather than spraying the surface.