Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Community - Off Topic

Community - Off Topic Something to talk about besides car care? Please discuss it here in this family-friendly forum.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 06-06-2012

Default The Power Tour and Groucho Marx

I hope you are all following the Power Tour, and checking out each days notes and images from John Naderi. The coverage is on that second menu bar under the main menu bar at the top of this page.

Hmm! No images of Forrest yet!

So then, what links Groucho to the Power Tour?

I'm a fan of oddball humour, Monty Python from the UK, and The Three Stooges from the U.S. among a few of them. I was also a huge fan of the Marx Brothers. I loved their slapstick movies, and in the early days of TV, we would get Groucho's show here in Oz. He would occasionally mention a small town in Texas with an odd sounding name, and as much as we have towns here in Oz with odd sounding names, the same applies also in the U.S. One particular name stood out, the town of Nacogdoches in Texas, which Groucho would occasionally use if he had a visitor from Texas on his show..

So, when I saw the following two images from the recent Tour notes, I immediately thought of Groucho. (Well, after a small 'senior moment' I guess, wondering why that name seemed so familiar.) The two owners are on the Tour, and they come from Nacogdoches in Texas.

In the early days, the Marx Brothers started out as a singing group, but Nacogdoches Texas changed all that, as the following shows.
Quote:
In 1912, the Marx Brothers came to Nacogdoches Texas to perform their singing act at the old Opera House. Their performance was interrupted by a man who came inside shouting, "Runaway mule!" Most of the audience left the building, apparently thinking a runaway mule would provide better entertainment. When they filed back in, Julius (later known as Groucho) began insulting them, saying "Nacogdoches is full of roaches!" and "The jackass is the flower of Texass!" Instead of becoming angry, audience members laughed. Soon afterward, Julius and his brothers decided to try their hand at comedy instead of singing, at which they had barely managed to scrape together a living.
The two images are from the Power Tour, so I hope the people at Mothers don't mind if I add them here.

The innocuous looking car is a well worn '51 Buick Riviera Special, but don't let the, er, paint job fool you. This car has
a Fatman front end, Air Ride suspension, Coys Wheels, Wilwood brakes and a Viper V10 engine, and yes, that is a mop holding up the side lifting bonnet.

Tony.
Attached Images

"Old man look at my life, I'm a lot like you were."------Neil Young.
Old 06-08-2012

Default Toll Fees Versus Number Of Axles

I saw this first image from Thursday's Power Tour, and immediately wondered what the costs might relate back to here in Oz.

Every State in Australia has legislation approving what we refer to as 'B Double' road freight haulers, and that's the Prime Mover and two trailers.

Some States have legislation approving 'B Triples', and that's the Prime Mover and three trailers.

The second image shows a B Double, and these days, every second rig on the roads and highways is a B Double. They have 9 axles and 34 wheels.

The third image shows a B Triple, which has 12 axles and 46 wheels.

Tony.

Attached Images

Old 06-09-2012

Default Re: The Power Tour and Groucho Marx

These multi-axle rides are pretty tough on the roads.
Old 06-09-2012
Mothers® Polish

You know, I thought the Groucho reference was directed towards me......
Old 06-09-2012

Forrest,

I wouldn't be that impolite.

Umm, maybe your persona might be more like Groucho's benevolent older brother Chico.

On second thoughts, maybe not, because Chico's persona was that of a crafty con artist who wore shabby clothes, a curly wig, and a funny hat.

Hey ..... wait a minute. That IS you. (nyuk nyuk nyuk)

Tony.

Old 06-09-2012

And yes Al, those rigs are hard on the roads, especially the Interstates.

A lot of the major highways here in Oz are only two lanes, and with so many rigs these days, they are hard on those highways.

Man, you ought to try overtaking one of those B Doubles on the open road at the highway speed they cruise on. As soon as a hilly stretch comes in view and you're stuck behind one, they slow down, and you're stuck. Then as soon as it levels or falls, they're straight back up to highway speed. Find a stretch where you can overtake, and they just go on forever, and they carry their own shock wave with them, so you get buffeted as well.

Tony.

Closed Thread