Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Interior Care

Interior Care Fabric? Vinyl? Leather? Alcantara? Wood? Plastic? Discuss how to identify your interior surfaces and use the right product and technique for the best results.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 12-25-2015

Default Anyone ever tried using natural stuff like Coconut oil or Body lotion for leather?

So trying to reduce my daily contact with chemicals and petroleum based products. I've been thinking about using coconut oil or body lotion for my leather seats and interior trims.

Anyone else tried this?

I'll give it a shot on Saturday and post some pics. Like half a seat with coconut oil and the other half with nothing to show the difference.

And the other seat, I'll try body lotion. It mean, if it's good for our skin, it should be good for leather?
Old 12-25-2015

Default Re: Anyone ever tried using natural stuff like Coconut oil or Body lotion for leather

From my experience most leather care products for auto interiors are water based. They have oils including lanolin, etc. to improve spreading and protection but it i s not usually significant part of the formula. Many can be animal fats (lanolin, etc) not petroleum oil.

The problem with raw oils is it could be the wrong product and can leave the seats very slippery. Coconut oil hardens at room temperature so maybe not be right for a surface.

You can use something like Mothers VLR and not worry about it.
Old 12-30-2015

Default Re: Anyone ever tried using natural stuff like Coconut oil or Body lotion for leather

Wearing nitrile gloves during applications can help minimize your contact with chemicals.
Old 01-04-2016

Update!

Coconut oil is a no go! Especially when it's this cold. It looked great when I applied it. BUT, as the oil started to cool. It turned white and solid. And I saw a few areas where it didn't look too pretty. (such as where the stitches are and the perforated leather.

Had to grab a warm rag to go over the area and melt the coconut oil again and rub it in.

I'll try lotion next. This time, I'll make sure the lotion is soaked into the applicator before applying it so it doesn't clog or build-up in the holes of the leather.
Old 01-04-2016
Mothers® Polish

I really think the best product is one made for the task at hand.

Abnot mentions several good points for doing so.
Closed Thread