Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mobile vs. Shop

Post Thanks / Like

Question Mobile vs. Shop

Which is the preferred method? I want to start in the business with a trailer from National Detail Systems (www.nationaldetail.com) any recommendations??

Wherever there is a mullet... I'll be there.
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you think they are cool then you should check out www.marsinternational.com Now there is a business I should invest in.

As a non-detailer I would think that being mobile is better. You can always open a garage somewhere but being mobile is way more versitile. You can work out of parking lots or in people`s driveways. You can go where the business is rather than relying on them coming to you. I think every successful shop I`ve ever seen has always had mobile detailing abilities. They just use the shop for people who want to leave their car or need special work done that the owner would rather be done there.

I'm just a man.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great point fuzz. It`s also easier to attracked clients for the most part when the don`t have to come to you. I do, however, far prefer detailing in a controlled environment. Things just go smother. There is no nasty neibor yelling at you, no problems finding water or electiral. It makes you`re life easier.
    The Koop Is BIZZZAAAK

Post Thanks / Like
    The trailer I was looking into getting is all self contained for the most part.....130 gal tank, generator, pressure washer, storage space, enough room for several application bottles....etc.

I was thinking of starting with contract work....i.e., PSE&G (Electric and Gas company), rental car agencies...etc. Within say 5 years, I would like to have at least 4 mobile units (2 contract work, 2 private vehicle work) and 1 standing shop with 4 or more bays.

Sound like a plan?? ??
    or wishfull thinking?

I'm just a man.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like wishfull thinking but i could be wrong. I don`t know enough about where you stand right now. Do you already have a customer base? Do you have the cash to put down for everything? Are you already very experienced? If not you may want to concider starting somewhat smaller.
    The Koop Is BIZZZAAAK

Post Thanks / Like
    TMiller,

Good choice going with National Detail Systems trailer. I bought their SpectraLite trailer over a year ago, and it`s been holding up very well.

I have tried both the fixed location and the mobile unit. I prefer being mobile.
    Advantages:
    -Different worksite everyday.
    -Not as closed in = don`t have to breath in as many fumes from chemicals.
    -Increased business since you go to the customer - they love the convenience.
    -Can offer pressure washing services in addition to detailing.
    -Highly visible to the public. Everyone can see you set up at a jobsite = additional appointments.

Disadvantages:
    -A lot of interruptions from people inquiring about prices, etc.
    -Weather - Rain cancellations, Working in 95 degree weather, Working in 35 degree weather, Strong winds trying to steal your canopy from you, etc.
    -Have to find water supplies to refill your water tank when you`re out in the "field".
    -EPA has begun cracking down on mobile detailers regarding waste water runoff - additional expense of reclamation system
    -Can only carry limited amount of supplies due to being mobile. If you run out of a specific product in the "field", you have to improvise a lot.

Anyhow, this has been my experience with it. Feel free to email me with any questions you may have regarding National Detail... and tell Nina and David at NDS that I said hello...

Regards,
    Onthespot
    On The Spot Mobile Detailing, (Western NC)

Boss_429
    Given the proper location, and the correct set-up, a fixed location beats a mobile one hands down................ for the detailer, not the clients!

Of course, this is just my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Koop
    Sounds like wishfull thinking but i could be wrong. I don`t know enough about where you stand right now. Do you already have a customer base? Do you have the cash to put down for everything? Are you already very experienced? If not you may want to concider starting somewhat smaller.
    My thinking is that it would be easier to grab a "contract account" to prove reliable weekly income. However, I was told that personal accounts may attract additional requests.

I would like to have "guaranteed" income.

Yes/No???

Wish I had a Mullet Johnny Cheesdog's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Fuzz, you are one sexy dude!! What is your phone number? I`m going to suck on this exhaust pipe untill you call me!

Post Thanks / Like
    I think both have their advantages and disadvantages. I`m mobile and I enjoy the work but there are days that I definitely wish I had a shop. One of the biggest advantages of being mobile is the low overhead costs as the insurance rates are lower and you have no rental or lease payments to make.

As On the Spot mentioned though, the weather is a huge factor. I`m in the Maryland/DC/Norther Virginia area and we had quite a bit of rain earlier this year and there is no guaranteed income for a mobile detailer when it rains everyday for a week at a time. Also being mobile, I find myself constantly watching the sky wondering if it`s going to rain while I`m on a job.

The other thing he mentioned, was the chemical runoff. I`m in an area where this has not been an issue yet, but I think at some point it`s going to be a problem for all mobile detailers as the EPA begins to crack down. I don`t know if your familiar with water reclamation, but it`s a pain and sometimes expensive to deal with especially if you get fined (I`ve never been fined but I`ve heard of fines as high as $3000).

With all this being said, I wish I had a shop and I could still operate the mobile side of the business when possible.

In terms of your plan to grow the business, we have quite a few detailers in this area, but none have grown that fast. But you have to have something to shoot for and anything`s possible - so go for it.

Good Luck......

Ringo
    Ringo

Post Thanks / Like
    Given the proper location, and the correct set-up, a fixed location beats a mobile one hands down................ for the detailer, not the clients!
    I agree with Boss, hands down!! Fixed location is better.

Also, I`m in a running battle with EPA compliance people for several little infractions that I`ve (in their eyes) been committing. Watchout for the EPA boys and girls cause once they`re on your tail they`re not gonna get off.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am currently working on a business plan and marketing strategy. I am working with the actual person responsible for bringing the Colgate (?) baking soda toothpaste to the mainstream. He is currently my boss now.

With additional wishfull thinking.....the president of the company I work for is also a finacier. If I can get together a great business plan....who knows, maybe he will help finance the deals. He (the president) is VERY good with business. I work in the healthcare industry now and even though this industry has seen many problems, he has increased profit EVERY YEAR for the past 25 years. It`s unheard of in this industry. He knows business!!

I WANT TO BE THE LARGEST DETAILING BUSINESS IN THE WORLD!!!!!.....or at least my street

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys, sorry to ask a question here but I need some clarification now. I`ve been reading this thread and got a little depressed. I was planning on doing some detailing for friends and coworkers, and maybe one day doing a little side business with it. But I see it might be harder than I thought. I`m wondering what exactly is needed to start a mobile business? I guess it`s more than just the bucket, wash, waxes, and PC that I was planning on carrying. So how much is needed to actually be successful in mobile detailing?
    VanGo

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it depends on what your goals are and what you consider successful. I was at a job site one day and a dirty Ford Taurus pulls up in the same office park. The guy gets out and starts cleaning a car, but he`s using the clients water, electricity etc. I wouldn`t consider this a successful detailing business, but the guy seemes to be making a honest living and I can`t knock what anyone else does.

If you plan on going outside of friends, family etc., you should probably be insured. Personally, I prefer having your my water supply, electricity, vacuum/extractor, buffers, towel, brushes and chemicals etc. You can start with minimal equipment and add on as you go.

Hope this helps some and I`m sure others will be along with more info.....
    Ringo

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, so what would I need to have my own water and electriticy? This is so new to me
    VanGo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information