Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

EX v. UPP - 4 weeks

It`s been 4 weeks since I did half the hood of my Galactic Blue Jetta (dark blue) with UPP over AIO and the other half with EX over Pro Polish. After 2 weeks, EX was really sheeting water while UPP was beading like crazy. After 4 brutal weeks in the NY summer, the EX has now started beading more and the UPP beading somewhat less to the point where both products are looking and reacting to water in a virtually identical way. They both are equally smooth and glossy and I don`t think I can tell the difference. An interesting note though - about a week before trying this test, I did the entire roof with UPP over AIO and it is still beading like new with beautiful little pearls of water lined up like soldiers - completely different from the way the water is beading on the hood, which leads me to believe that engine heat is a major factor in the longevity of the products. It could also be that the roof is flatter than the hood so it holds the water more. Both products still looking great.

Just an aside - I used PB Polish with Carnuba today on the hood of my neighbors neglected red Taurus. The humidity must have been 100% and the stuff came off totally streak free. I have never seen products that were less critical of the temperature and humidity than PBs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ace

Nice review on the products, how long are you going to test them?

I was wondering the same thing about how long a product lasts when you compare the hood and roof. I have noticed the same, I would have to agree that it seems the heat from the engine is causing the product to break down faster.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t know how long i`m going to hold out before redoing the hood. Probably a couple of weeks. Next I have to do a polymer product against a good carnuba in my own AB test. Should be interesting.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think a polymer against PB`s Polish w/Carnuba would be a fine test to conduct.

Hearing lots of good reviews about that stuff

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ace ..very interesting and that is why most products give estimates on longevity....there are so many variable from parts of the vehicle ..ie hood vs roof vs door

the engine heat is a definite killer of longevity...combine that with summer heat and a black vehicle and you are seeing first hand what will happen....

if you had garaged it and had a light color you may have seen different results...

as we earlier discussed ..maintenence, technique and products used for upkeep will all change the variables...

keep us informed and hold out as long as you can..lol
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like
    How would a product go from beading right after application, to sheeting after two weeks, then back to beading after 4 weeks? That baffles me.
    2000 Silverado Ext Cab Z71
    Lt Pewter

Boss_429
    Originally posted by rtbrick
    How would a product go from beading right after application, to sheeting after two weeks, then back to beading after 4 weeks? That baffles me.
    I would agree, and ask the same question? Is it something to do with the maintenance, or wash?

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe the Guru Reports noted a similar result with Klasse - Beaded water one week and sheeted the next, so my result is not unique. But hey- let`s not forget that my test is absolutely, totally and unequivocally unscientific. As far as wash and maintenance, the car is washed weekly with 2 oz. of car wash soap in a 2 gal. bucket and plenty of water. Car washes are Coats Hawaiian, Griots or Platinum. Wash mitt is either a black sheepskin or a chenille and drying is done with a Big Blue - placed on the surface and gently pulled. The car is kept outdoors in the hot NY sun, but it is driven very little weekly. Just so happens I drove to Atlantic City this weekend, so I put about 275 miles on it.

Boss_429
    ACE,

Don`t get me wrong........... I like your test........ it`s a "real world" test!

Interesting, so your not using a QD. I`ll have to pay a little more attention to the beading on my vehicles and see if I notice anything. I usually don`t pay too much attention to it for the reasoned you mentioned............ there are a lot of variables that can have an effect on beading.

Post Thanks / Like
    Boss- I forgot about the QD. After the wash, i`ll give the car a final going over with Platinum, Z6 or Griots, but my beading evaluations are done after the wash, so I assume the QD will be gone between the week of wear and the wash. After the wash I will spray the hood with various patterns from my hoze nozzle and judge the beading or sheeting. I am careful to spray the hood from different directions so I get a fair view of both products. QD definitely increases beading during those weekly NY rainshowers.

Leader of the Banned windsor the troll's Avatar
    I would have gotten away with it again if it wasn't for you meddling kids! ;)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by rtbrick
    Dirt on the finish will cause that effect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Windsor - I agree that dirt can cause various things to happen, however, my observations are based on how water behaves on the hood after a careful washing so dirt is not a factor. I carefully prepared the surface prior to application of the products by washing and polishing with Poorboys Pro polish, which has no silicones or fillers, so I know that my results are due solely to the characteristics of the products and not something that might have been on the surface prior to application.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by ACE
    Windsor - I agree that dirt can cause various things to happen, however, my observations are based on how water behaves on the hood after a careful washing so dirt is not a factor. I carefully prepared the surface prior to application of the products by washing and polishing with Poorboys Pro polish, which has no silicones or fillers, so I know that my results are due solely to the characteristics of the products and not something that might have been on the surface prior to application.
    I think he meant that once the car was dirty, upon the first initial rinse during washing that the surface may not bead as well because of the dirt. Once the dirt was washed away, the beading returned. I have noticed this myself, if I misrepresented your thoughts windsor, I apologize.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also notice that the car has trouble beading when its dity due to all of the greasy Gasoline and Diesel Depots as soon as Im done washing it beads really well. Thanks for the test
    www.exotiXboard.com

Post Thanks / Like
    OK- I must not be explaining myself clearly. I noticed that after I washed the car, EX beaded at first, then sheeted, then beaded again. This was noticed after the wash so dirt or oil was not a factor. In most cases, I think we don`t really take notice of what a wax does, but when you have 2 different products on the hood, the differences become more noticible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information