Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Dealer Stories :(

Took my jeep in about a week ago for windshield replacement and glove compartment latch fix. They fixed the windshield the seals wernt all the way down it made noise at higher speeds. Took it back they glued it and epoxyed did a half ass job to say at best. Took it back today they re did the windshield completly it still isnt perfect but better I think I can live with it. Until I got home and lifted my rubber winter mats from the floor because I just shampooed and extracted the interior from the last visit which they got the mats pretty filthy. Anyways I look at the carpet it looks wet I mean soaked like a sponge. I take the extractor out and suck up all the water. Appreantly the glass guys took the car from the dealer to there shop and left the window down while it rained they also washed the car swirling it up good. Dealer offerd a free full detail I denied that. Think that was my last dealer visit for a long time. I think the reason the window is the way it is, is because it isnt a OEM Mopar windshield like the previous original but its some kind of generic brand and doesnt exactly fit 100% they asked me if my car was ever in a body shop or anything for accident damage because the glass guys said it was hard to put it. Dont understand how a window made to match the car doesnt fit correctly. Its also crazy how they drive these cars left the car computer read 18.2mpg average came back said 16.9 you really gotta drive hard to get the V8 down to that kind of mileage.

This weekend its a full detail wheels taken off, DACP,SSR1, full interior shampoo, engine Pictures to follow.

:band
    Last edited by Ferrarislave; 06-14-2004 at 05:58 PM.
    www.exotiXboard.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Some pictures...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.exotiXboard.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.exotiXboard.com

Post Thanks / Like
    More:

www.exotiXboard.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I hate that man. I took my truck in for some radiator repair under warranty at the local Ford Dealer. It was super clean when it went in. They ended up getting water, left out of the radiator, all down the front fenders. The Service Manager called the mechanic out there when I was picking it up and chewed his a$$ because he knew I kept my ride clean. The mechanic comes out with a dirty shop rag to wipe off the fenders..I said never mind dude, i`ll take care of it. I just finished buffing out swirls, I don`t need anymore.
    "I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." - Sir Winston Churchill

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you still going to take your car to the dealer in the future? Hopefully there is a competent private mechanic in your area who understands the importance of treating any and all vehicles with respect.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    probley not, it needs a tun up like radiator flush and also needs differentials drained and trans and transfercase flushed and refilled. I wish I knew someone with a decent garage most of the small places are even worse then the dealer.

Its sad how others dont respect others property if its not there. No matter how inexpensive or Expensive it is. Valets,Dealers anything its always miss treated I try to avoid these types of places but sometimes u just gotta go.
    www.exotiXboard.com

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thats where I am lucky, my mechanic loves me for taking such great care of the car. Anytime he does anything, he treats the paint with the upmost respect. Last time I was in for transmission work I was painting the wheelwells while they were in easy reach up on the rack. Hes nice about letting me use his shop to get some of my grunge work done.
    http://tassadar.ezekial.net

Post Thanks / Like
    A radiator flush is fairly easy to do, I see the Jeep is a Grand Cherokee, opening the drain spigot should be much easier than a Wrangler, I hear you need needle nose pliers to open it through the grille on those :eek
    If you do the flush yourself, you`ll probably do the job more throughly than the dealwer anyway and not pay $100+. I drain my radiator once a year. The diffeenential fluids might be a little more tricky and may need certain filling tool but at least thecar is higher and you can get under it easier.

Investing in a good hand pump type extractor is an excellent tool for other fluid changes like oil and trans fluid
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry about what they did to your WJ. Not very many competent Jeep dealers anywhere. I usually do all maintenance on my ZJ & WJ.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I would be happy if the windshield was done perfect and it would look like the factory one was installed. This one is ok but its not perfect as you can see in the pictures it sticks out in spots. I will follow those up with some clear silicone to keep the seal down.

Anyways its back to fully tapeing up the car newspapers on the window and some good old rotary work. Going to take the wheels off to the inside and seal with UPP wheel wells engine bay etc..

Andriver have you detailed your WJ`s engine before. ? What things should I cover before tackling the engine bay.
    www.exotiXboard.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Frozen, I have detailed my engine. I covered all electrical with either plastic bags and/or foil paper. I sprayed orange blast on dirty areas and agitated with a long handle brush. I rinsed with a trickle of water and dryed with a towel. I dressed the rubber with Bold and Bright. I would also add that areas I could not get to or were too close to electricals I used Spray and Wipe.

I think the trick is to let water trickle instead of spraying. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    The worst thiong I ever had happen to me at a dealer was when my GP was getting a new transmission. I swear they parked it next to a metal grinder. When I was washing it at home after I got it back, the hood felt like it was covered with tiniy little spikes. I ended up claying the whole car and then doing a full detail to remove everything.
    "The trouble is that you think you have time." - Jack Kornfeld

Post Thanks / Like
    I have read this post and have been reading all of the responses. And it seems as though everyone here dreads bringing their car in for service. Weather it be an oil change or somthing as extream as engine replacement. Everyone has horror story about the dealership! Well Im thankfull to say I don`t. There are a few reasons as to why and I will fill you in on how you to can be treated like royality at your dealer. (for 3 easy payments of $19.95) ok just sounded funny!

It all starts from the purchase of the vehical. We all know the typical BS the car sales people try and throw at us.. now its our turn. Tell the sales rep..."I can buy this car at this price anywhere (which is true) what does (insert dealer name) have to offer to me that(insert compeating dealer here) doesn`t? Also I would like to take a tour of the facilitys. (Body shop,Prep shop,and the Tech shop) They won`t say no to you. If they look at you strange tell them that the only selling poiint to buy it from here is the services you have to offer. Now you get to see the guys in action. How they treat other peoples car. Stop and talk with the Service manager/sales ppl for a few mins asking questions about schedualing and things of that nature. Now that you have taken the tour you should feel ether better or worse about the dealership. (hopefully better) When I bought my car and asked the sales rep for a tour he laughed at me and asked are you serious. I responded with Serious enought that I have a cashiers check for $17,000.00 in my pocket do you want to take me on a tour or do you want me to leave with the the 17k. Ive never seen someone stand up so fast.

So you took your tour you bought your car and 3 months later its time for some kind or work to be done! On your way down to the shop stop at your local bagel shop(trust me on this) and spend the best $10.00-15.00 you will ever spend! Buy a dozzen or 2 bagels and some cream cheese and butter! When you walk in to the Service dept talk with the service writer ect tell him you brought bagels for the guys! Ask if you can speak with the tech that will be working on the car! Sometimes they may say well we will not know until....You now have the choice of 2 things...1 slip the writer a few bucks. But I recomend saying would you mind if you could put on the repair order for the tech to call me before working on my car. Garunteed they will do that!

Now when you talk to the tech weather it be on the phone or in person. Talk to the guy and tell him your concerns. Tell him you apprciate him taking the extra time to take care of your concerns and it won`t go un-noticed. When you pick up the car.... look over the car make sure that everything is in place...when you go to get your keys ask the service writer if you may speak with the tech. When the tech comes in tell him you really appreciate it and slip him a tip!

Trust me on all of this! IT WORKS. I know I know I know...I payed xyz for the work they already did on the car I shouldn`t have to do this. Well we all know how it goes...You scratch my back ill scratch yours! Something to think about next time you bring your car in for work!

You don`t have to do this "everytime" But everyonce and a while droping in with the bagles isn`t a bad idea!

I am on a first name basis with my mechanic! I have gotten to the point where when there is a small job that needs to be done he stops by my house and does the job right then and there! Sometimes he will even pick up my car and leave me his truck for the day! And I drive a Ford mustang! nothing exteamly fancy that would require this kind of special treatment. I just know if I want my car taken care of I need to take care of my mechanic!

Its easier to make friends than it is to deal with having to clean up after a sloppy tech!

Once again sorry for the long winded post but perhaps it will help yall out in the long run!

Post Thanks / Like
    Great story Focus.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information