Death to white cars!
    Post Thanks / Like

Ever had this happen? Read...

Thought I`d share this with you all and let you have a laugh at my expense...

The other day, I had agreed to do what was supposed to be a `simple` detail job on a white Olds Alero for a friend. Well, I picked it up tonight, and unbeknownst to me, the thing had the lower section covered in tar and the door jambs looked like they haven`t been cleaned in a year! I clayed as much of the crud as I could after washing, but it took FOREVER to get that tar and other crap off!

I now know the value of viewing a car before quoting the price! I have long since passed the point of diminishing returns on this job.... Oh, one more thing - white cars SUCK! LOL

Ahh, the lessons we learn.....
    "The 83-88 Monte SS - they just don`t make `em like that anymore...."

Post Thanks / Like
    I have had a similar experience. I detailed a black 96 twin turbo toyota supra a few weeks ago that really tested my patience and my detailing skills. I met the guy in a parking lot and started talking about the swirls that were in his paint, we talked and exchanged information. The car only has 47,000 miles on it so it looked pretty good, it had sopme pretty bad swirls but, nothing too bad. So a few weeks later the guy calls me to set up a detail, I quote him a price based on the condition of the car that I saw in the parking lot. When I got there he starts asking me if I need to borrow his "buffer" I look in the corner and there is a HUGE rotary with a filthy wool cutting pad on it sitting on top of a saw dust covered 2X4(pad side DOWN). I pull the car into the sunlight and what I saw made me want to cry! This guy decided that he would use his "buffer" to "bring out the wax" The swirls were the worst I have ever seen! I got there at 7:45 a.m. and left around 5:15 p.m. that guy has no idea what a good deal he got!

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    It`s a hard lesson to learn and yes white can be as bad as black to make look really good and clean...you see all the dirt...

Always tell the customer it`s an estimate and give yourself some room for the unexpected..
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like
    The problem I run into with white, is that after the first few passes with the buffer (especially if it`s a bright day) the d@mn thing reflects so much light back into my eyes it hurts PLUS with the buffer spreading everything on so thin (and the haze being white or clear) it`s hard to tell where you have & haven`t been.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like
    Is it only me, but do not white cars show dirt as "black" in color and black cars have dirt show up as "white(light)" in color? LOL .
    2001 Volvo S80 Black
    2002 Volvo C70 Silver

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by EBPcivicsi
    to borrow his "buffer" I look in the corner and there is a HUGE rotary with a filthy wool cutting pad on it sitting on top of a saw dust covered 2X4(pad side DOWN). I pull the car into the sunlight and what I saw made me want to cry! This guy decided that he would use his "buffer" to "bring out the wax" The swirls were the worst I have ever seen! I got there at 7:45 a.m. and left around 5:15 p.m. that guy has no idea what a good deal he got!

I had a guy "do me a favor" and wash his car before bringing it to me. When I opened the door, I saw a muddy rag on the floor (picture dropping a wet rag into a sand box, kicking more sand over it, then pulling it out). THAT`S what he "washed" his car with...he "wiped it down" before bringing it over...never did get all of the scratches out...
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Don

I had a guy "do me a favor" and wash his car before bringing it to me. When I opened the door, I saw a muddy rag on the floor (picture dropping a wet rag into a sand box, kicking more sand over it, then pulling it out). THAT`S what he "washed" his car with...he "wiped it down" before bringing it over...never did get all of the scratches out...
    There is a guy on my street that uses a push broom to wash his T100!!!! I just don`t understand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by EBPcivicsi

I just don`t understand.
    perhaps it`s best that you don`t

"When you understand the crazies, it means you`ve become one." -Me
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Death to white cars!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don -

You`re right about not being able to see where you`ve been. In fact, last night I was doing the car in my front lawn and when the sun began to set, I could barely see anything because of the glare. Then, after the sun went down, it began getting dark and I couldn`t see, so it was just as bad. You just can`t win with white cars. If I had the luxury, I would turn away any new clients with white cars. LOL!
    "The 83-88 Monte SS - they just don`t make `em like that anymore...."

Post Thanks / Like
    I would have requoted the job had it changed from the first viewing. I have learned this money looseing lesson as well. I guess my take on it is why wasit my time to loose monay on what will be a one hit wonder. Sure word of mouth is a great way to pickup biz but not at your pocket book!

Thread Information