Post Thanks / Like

new and need some advice

Hi. I`m a real rookie to detailing altogether, but I just got a new car (BMW M3) and I am wanting to keep this car looking good for a long time to come. I`ve quickly browsed through a few posts talking about what really makes all the dark colored cars shine, but I`m wondering if it`s all the same or some things work better with dark colors and some with light (my car is titanium silver). I`d appriciate any advice on what would make my light colored car shine, or any beginner tips at all. Good to be here!

What combo to use next? jeff2417's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Start by prepping your paint by removing old wax that the dealership may have put on. I use Detergent Soap like Dawn or Joy, and wash a couple times until the water doesn`t bead up anymore. Next, you want to prep that paint...P21S makes a great paintwork cleanser, and my favorite is HiTemp`s Light Cut. Other people swear by Klasse All-In-One. Next, you want to seal that nice gloss in with a sealant. Meguiars Polymer Sealant or Klasse Sealant Glaze should do the trick. At this point, you could stop. But most detail freaks (like me) decide to top that Sealant with a nice Carnauba wax. P21S/S100, Meguiars #26, One Grand Blitz Wax, and Top of the Line Trade Secret are all nice waxes. Some layer better than others. Get more opinions to see what would and should work best on your car! Let me know how it works out, and let`s see some before and after pics!

jeff.
    Sure, it`s shiny, but how smooth is it, and how does it look in direct sunlight?

Post Thanks / Like
    My opinion would be similar. Wash with gold class, Klass AIO, use Platinum according to instructions (do it on the weekend so you have the initial 24 hrs for set-up) then lay multiple Platinum coats and top with a carauba. I would suggest p21s or EX. Wash or Spray any Wipe with poorboys weekly or bi-weekly and enjoy the best maintained car on the block.

Aloha

John

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Howdy Zach, glad to have ya with us. Congrats on the awesome new ride! Now you MUST treat us to a pic or two!!!

As you`ve seen already, auto care products are a lot like anything else in that everyone has their favorites based on their experiences. Ask 10 people and you`re likely to get half a dozen different suggestions.

Now for mine .....it`s been my observation that the lighter colored paints benefit from the polymers or sealants more so than pure carnauba wax. Since your vehicle is brand new I would most likely try Klasse AIO or Platinum Paint Cleaner followed by Platinum UPP. Drop on about 3 coats of UPP spaced at least 24 hours apart and that Beemer silver will be like a mirror! If you wanted to add some depth to the finish top it off with something like Poorboy`s EX, Trade Secret or P21s. The only caviat here is once you`ve topped the UPP with any of those products you can`t just addd more UPP layers on top of the carnauba. You`ll need to start over again with the paint cleaner and UPP. But, 3 layers of UPP topped by any one of those I mentioned will look incredible and you can just apply your topper of choice every few weeks if you like and keep the UPP paint protection under the carnauba finish.

So there you have it...yet another suggestion. I`m sure more will follow!

Again, congrats on that GREAT ride!

Natty
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the help it looks like I came to the right place. I`ll get some pics up in the next couple of days.

Thread Information