Post Thanks / Like

Question Rotary Buffer for a Beginner

Even though I have only two vehicles and both are in near perfect condition, I still have the urge to buy and use a rotary buffer. Maybe not a wise decsion because there haven`t been many scrathes or swirls that I haven`t been able to remove with my pc.

If I do buy a rotarty buffer, I think that I would prefer a Makita 9227 because I like the 6.6 pound weight and I have other Makita products that I have been very satisfied with. However, Classic Motoring Accessories has a very good price on a Porter Cable 7428 rotary buffer (8 pounds). The buffer is $174.95, a six inch backing plate is $16.95, and shipping is $17.95, minus a $25 rebate from Porter Cable for a total cost of $184.95. I have dealt with CMA before and am very satisfied with the service I have received. I can buy a Makita 9227 from Coastal Tool for about $185 including shipping. Then I`d have to buy a 6 inch pad from someone else.

Cost is not a major factor at all. (The joy of having a grown child.) I just don`t like to waste dollars.

How does the Porter Cable buffer compare with the Makita buffer? I have been very satisfied with my Porter Cable dual action polisher.

If I do buy a rotary, I`m not heading to the junkyard for an old car hood. My wife already thinks that I am nuts. I`ll start right in polishing her silver Tacoma, not my black Hemi. But still I had better not mess up.

According the folks at CMA, if you have had experience with a pc and if you start using the rotary at slow speeds (1000 rpm`s) you should be OK. I know about the edge precautions and taping. I also know that the 6.5 inch foam pads are easier to control for a beginner.

I`d probably start using a rotary with Meguiar`s #82, a 6.5 inch polishing pad and the speed limited to 1000 rpm`s. As I gain experience I would go to a more aggressive pad, DACP and higher speeds when needed.

Does this make sense?

Tom :cool
    2 white Tacomas and 2 black Harleys. I got half-way smart.

Post Thanks / Like
    You might want ot look at the Edge pad system its a bit better for the rotary. I use a mine all the time almost prefer over the PC. Start out at low speeds to get the feel and after an hour you`ll feel like a champ!
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been thinking about buying a rotary too but like Tom I have no experience. Other than start with slow speeds are there any other suggestions you can offer to beginners?
    Hogan

Post Thanks / Like
    Your choice! It depends on your ability and confidence. Not all polishers are the same nor is the strength in one`s arms...I`ll leave it to you to decide which polisher/buffer to use. Everyone out there has their own preference of buffer and polisher. Roles differ as do your own techniques, compounds and pads used. Only you can determine what is best suited for you. I have my own preferences and will stick to them until I decide to try another product out. As far as the Porter Cable. Check out the web site www.coastaltools.com and there you`ll find it for $119. This includes the pad and the 5inch weight. Shipping is $7.50. If you ask me, I`d rather pay this than the price you quoted. If you want to get the rebate, you`ll have to buy 2. Either way you look at it, it`s less to go with coastaltools. Good luck! autocosmetologist.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by ACosmetologist
    Your choice! It depends on your ability and confidence. Not all polishers are the same nor is the strength in one`s arms...I`ll leave it to you to decide which polisher/buffer to use. Everyone out there has their own preference of buffer and polisher. Roles differ as do your own techniques, compounds and pads used. Only you can determine what is best suited for you. I have my own preferences and will stick to them until I decide to try another product out. As far as the Porter Cable. Check out the web site www.coastaltools.com and there you`ll find it for $119. This includes the pad and the 5inch weight. Shipping is $7.50. If you ask me, I`d rather pay this than the price you quoted. If you want to get the rebate, you`ll have to buy 2. Either way you look at it, it`s less to go with coastaltools. Good luck! autocosmetologist.com
    The fact that you are mentioning a 5" counter weight makes me suspect you are talking about an orbital as opposed to the rotary being discussed. I think that this is the web-site you are directing them to (no "s" after tool)

http://www.coastaltool.com/

Here`s a nice little promo kit with the Makita for about the same money you are talking.

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/MAK-9227CX.html
    Last edited by GearHead_1; 04-10-2004 at 12:58 PM.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like
    GearHead:
    Is that refurbished or display item? Price seems to low.
    "A Auto Detailing"
    Charlotte, NC

Post Thanks / Like
    I assume you are asking about Harbor Freight`s price. New unless advertised otherwise. They have some very attractive prices from time to time. I know that this isn`t a high quality name brand tool but take a look at their Chicago Electric buffer. I`ve seen this buffer for $25. In fact I bought one at that price. Before someone flames me I`m not recommending or even comparing the Makita and the Chicago Electric. They are not the same caliber tool.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...105&pricetype=

I have heard that some people aren`t fond of Harbor Freight`s shipping. I`ve never mail ordered from them. I`ve purchased from them locally and haven`t got any complaints. I have one of the Makita`s, I think it`s a great product. Some feel that the loop handle is hard to get used to, I didn`t think it was any big deal. I picked up the Chicago Electric for a back up. For that price what the heck. Got to have a back up right? I have a back up PC 7424 for my PC7424. I`ve also got one of the Chicago Electric 1/2" electric impact guns and a Craftsman equivilant.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...108&pricetype=

I looked at both owner manuals and the replacement parts schematics are identical, I mean identical. The Craftsman was $169 and the Chicago Electric was $49. Who knows?
    Last edited by GearHead_1; 04-10-2004 at 07:30 PM.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve pretty much decided on the Makita 9227 if I buy a rotary. When I look at both of my trucks, I wonder if I should even mess with rotary buffer. Both trucks are in excellent shape and I find it easy to keep them that way with a pc. I have found that using a cutting pad and 3m Perfect-II compound followed by DACP and a polishing pad will remove most micro and not so micro scratches and swirls.

Is there a problem with purchasing from Harbor Freight. Their prices are unbelievable.

How about the slow and easy way that I was going to start with a rotary buffer? Does it sound safe?

Boss_429
    Originally posted by tguil

How about the slow and easy way that I was going to start with a rotary buffer? Does it sound safe?

Slow and easy is a good start. Practicing on the wife`s car is also a good idea!

Seriously, practice on something to at least get the feel of the machine.

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven`t had any problems buying from Harbor Freight of course I have one 5 minutes from my home. I`m sure there are those who have. This will be true regardless of who you buy from.

Safe is a relative term. With practice a rotary is a great tool. They definitely aren`t as "safe" as your Porter Cable.

If your paint doesn`t need it and you don`t think you`ll run into paint defects that would require a rotary (a friends or customers), save your money. PC`s are the next best thing to sliced bread. Having said that most likely sooner or later you`ll see paint that could use the help of a rotary and it would be nice to be up to speed when the time comes. I learned to use a rotary on a John Deere lawn tractor 20 some years ago. It was a great place to get the feel of it.
    Last edited by GearHead_1; 04-10-2004 at 08:16 PM.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like
    I live on a large acreage (40 acres) and have a John Deere 40 hp-4wd tractor. I just put some scratches in its finish trimming weeds and brush around some trees. Where do I start with my new rotary? It is single stage GREEN implement paint.

Tom :cool p.s. Add 1 Green John Deere to my signature

Thread Information