Post Thanks / Like

Pads and Mixing Products

I`m a newbie here and I`ve read on these forums not to mix different products on my pads. My question is, is it ok to mix different polishes on one pad, and different waxs on another pad, or should I have a different pad for each polish and each wax? For example, If I`m using SSR2.5 and SSR1 should they each have their own pad or is it ok to share one pad?

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pads and Mixing Products

I wouldn`t share the pads with different products. Or at least if you do, rinse them off thoroughly before using another product. Different products have different uses, abrasiveness, etc., so to mix them would not be wise in my opinion.

Livin' the good life
    Post Thanks / Like

each product should be used on a separate pad, do not intermingle products on one pad or you can expect weird results.

If you only have one pad, then wash it between products but be aware that some products should be applied with a dry pad & some products can be applied with a damp pad.
    There`s a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by firefli
    I`m a newbie here and I`ve read on these forums not to mix different products on my pads. My question is, is it ok to mix different polishes on one pad, and different waxs on another pad, or should I have a different pad for each polish and each wax? For example, If I`m using SSR2.5 and SSR1 should they each have their own pad or is it ok to share one pad?

Thanks in advance.
    IMO, mixing products on the same pad is asking for trouble. Your SSR2.5/SSR1 is a good example. Will you have a mixture that would be SSR1.75 for a while before it works its way down to SSR1?
    Also, many of the products may not be compatible with each other and pad caking or even diminished performance of the products being used might result.
    Yes, it is going to require more cash outlay, but one messed up vehicle wiould make up for a lot of pads. I just do my own vehicles and I think I have at least 8 PC pads and about 40 hand applicator pads.

Charles

My L5-S1 is killing me! wifehatescar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The only time I might mix is if I go FROM SSR1 to 2.5 if SSR1 wasn`t agressive enough. The extra SSR1 during the 2.5 polishing will not hurt anything.
    We can rebuild him. We have the capability to make the world’s first bionic man. Better than he was before. Better Stronger Faster

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I mix SSR`s on pads, except when doing testing. They completely break down and I usually feel them to see if there are any residual abrasive product left. As for LSP`s I usually don`t mix them as they come with different chemical properties.
    I have recently tried using Mike Phillips technque of just brushing them out after use and not washing them to see how it works, and so far no problems as long as you don`t switch products on the pads. Yes if you have the funds to get a large selection of pads then by all means go get them, but if you are limited to a few pads, go ahead and experiment and the worstthat could happen is you`ll have to redo a section or two
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: Pads and Mixing Products

Thanks for all the responses so far. I would like to ask one more question though, if the pads are cleaned after use, then would it be ok to use with another product or should it just be one pad one product for life? I`m sorry if the question sounds redundant :brick , I just want to be sure. Also, I was thinking about trying the Edge 2K DA pads but now it seems it might be to hard to keep track of which product is used on each side of each pad unless you just use both sides for one product. Any comments on that? It seems maybe the regular Edge DA pads might be easier to keep straight. Thanks again for your advice!

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

after a thorough cleaning , you should have no problem switching products on the same pad
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Livin' the good life
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I don`t dedicate a pad to a product for life.

When the pad is caked with product or when you`re through using that particular product, clean the pad thoroughly & you should be good-to-go next time with any product you choose to use on that pad.

If I`m wrong, someone please correct me so my suggestions/beliefs do not lead me to screw-up my car and, more importantly, someone else`s.

Only exception to that rule, so far, is FMJ which has stained the pad with red/pink color. If I can`t remove 100% of the dye, I`m not confident that I`m washing out 100% of the product so that pad is dedicated to FMJ.
    There`s a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

My L5-S1 is killing me! wifehatescar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy
    after a thorough cleaning , you should have no problem switching products on the same pad
    I`ll second that :yeah
    We can rebuild him. We have the capability to make the world’s first bionic man. Better than he was before. Better Stronger Faster

Post Thanks / Like

If you don`t wash pads, stick to the same product. Once washed however, I would not hesitate to switch them up.
    "The trouble is that you think you have time." - Jack Kornfeld

Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: Pads and Mixing Products

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy
    Well that`s a relief! Since I`m new to all this I want to try a few different products but it was looking excesively expensive to have to buy a pad for each product especially if I go with the Edge 2k DA pads.

Is it a thorough enough cleaning to use just soap and water and let dry? Should I use my car wash soap or would something like Dawn be better to use?

One more time,
    Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

I pre-soak mine in Murphy`s oil soap, then use Micro-Restoe in the sink to finish them off. I squeeze the water out and let them air dry. You can also dry them on your rotary at low speed.
    "The trouble is that you think you have time." - Jack Kornfeld

Thread Information