Post Thanks / Like

Scratch X and Color X

If you read my thread on when friends attack - you know I had a lil problem with the weed wacker car wash. I decided to give these two products a whirl.

Scratch X - Well by all accounts I was supposed to use it by hand - I didn`t - I used it via PC, Meg`s yellow polishing pad @ 5.5. I worked in small sections (I only did the hood, roof and trunk and they got the brunt). I didn`t have any of the gumming up issues other have reported on. It was really humid Sunday so it took a while to powder but it did. I did half the hood and removed and it came off quite easy and left the hood smooth. I did the other half of the hood and same thing. Then I did half the roof. I removed and again it was smooth so I did the other half. Well while doing the other half I could see splotchy marks on the half I just did. I could get them out with an MF but it seemed to take some effort. I left the other side of the roof to dry while I did the trunk. Again I saw the splotchy marks and on the trunk definate pattern lines of where I had applied the product. I took a little S&W and shot the roof and they all came right off. Same goes for the trunk and to be safe I did the hood too. I think I may have just used too much product or didn`t work it long enough. Either way it did the job and I had smooth as glass surfaces.

Color X - My reasoning for going this route was reading the label it looked like Color X was similar to Clean Dean`s favorite Speed Glaze (cleaned and removed fine scratches while leaving a polymer protection.)

I used a Meg`s yellow pad at 5 for all the horizontals and did the hood, roof and trunk. I did the whole car working each section until it was dry. I waited a good 15 minutes hoping it was not like the scratch X. It wasn`t. Color X came right off with a MF. It seemed to add a richness and depth to my color. There was not much of a slick feeling (nothing like a sealant). But is was smooth and glossy.

I followed up with UPPx1 which as usual glided on and off (I waited an hour due to the humidity). Came out grrrreat! Not a scratch left that I can see!! (pics will follow - but it rained last night right after I got done and has been raining on and off all day today!).

for off the shelf they did pretty decent jobs. I would be willing to bet if you topped the color Xwith Nxt you could do some pretty decent work with the three.
    You have activated my special ability....

Post Thanks / Like
    I have topped the colorX with NXT with nice results.

The colorX is closer to the #66. It is mainly a chemical cleaner as opposed to an abrasive/chemical cleaner like #80.

I totally agree with your thoughts on them. For the $ and availability factor, very nice products.

What did you tell your friend?
    Word of Mouth Detailing
    A man with experience is not at the mercy of a man with an opinion

Post Thanks / Like
    Does the Scratch X come close to any of the other swirl remover type products that you use in performance, or would you say just stick with something else?
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like
    groebuck,

Whats Color X ? Who makes it ? Also check your PM`s...
    No buff to tuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Clean Dean
    groebuck,

Whats Color X ? Who makes it ? Also check your PM`s...
    Color X is made by Meguiars, as is Scratch X. You can find it locally. Seems like a good alternative for retail stuff!

Post Thanks / Like
    CD - Color X is Gold Class Meg`s - as it Scratch X - Scratch is designed to work by hand (diminishing abrasives breaks down by hand) - seems to work really well with PC (afaik). I thought Color X had some abrasives as well - but looks like EB says no - leaves a polymer finish behind so probably more like AIO?

I didn`t say anything to my friend - I just thanked him when he gave me back the car - but dang if that BP wash did not do a number on the finish!!
    You have activated my special ability....

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by groebuck
    CD - Color X is Gold Class Meg`s - as it Scratch X - Scratch is designed to work by hand (diminishing abrasives breaks down by hand) - seems to work really well with PC (afaik). I thought Color X had some abrasives as well - but looks like EB says no - leaves a polymer finish behind so probably more like AIO?

I didn`t say anything to my friend - I just thanked him when he gave me back the car - but dang if that BP wash did not do a number on the finish!!
    Groebuck, as far as I know all of the cleaners in colorX are chemical therefore making any ability it has to remove swirls dependent upon application material/method. I could certainly be wrong though, maybe Mike Phillips could chime in on this one.

I guess I would have done the same thing with the friend. It could have been worse.
    Word of Mouth Detailing
    A man with experience is not at the mercy of a man with an opinion

Thread Information