Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Special Care

Special Care Headlights, rubber and plastic trim, taillight lenses, glass, convertible tops -- all your special finish needs are discussed here.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 10-08-2010

Default External Trim Work Up With Back To Black

Some of you may wonder why the same people keep coming back here and saying almost the same things, and I’m one who is guilty of that, but over the years, things like this are worth repeating, if only to give insight to some of our more recent visitors to this Forum.

When working up external trims, Back To Black, (B2B for future reference) or Naturally Black as it’s called outside of the U.S. is one product in the whole Mothers range that is always worth revisiting, both for its use, and also in the information that can be imparted via this Forum.

Now, that’s not meant in any way to allude to a perception that there are sometimes difficulties with the use of this product, because, used correctly, that perception is easily overcome. In all the time I have used it, B2B has never been a problem, so it’s sometimes a little puzzling for me to hear that some do have minor problems with its use.

So that’s why I will always post about my experiences with it, and in that way, it might be of assistance to others.

To that end, Ill do this Thread and follow up Posts in the form of a tutorial, not to repeat myself, but to explain in some depth what can be achieved.

The main thing to keep in mind here is that not all the materials used for trims are equal. Some are textured, and with different variations of texture, and even though appearing similar, are in fact different. Some are smooth and shiny, while some appear matte, and for the purposes of this exercise, I’m only dealing here with external trim.

Also worth keeping in mind here is the fact that using B2B is not a ‘cure’ that will return faded trim to looking new and keeping it that way. Just like with the car’s painted surface, it requires regular upkeep.

The Sun will fade trim, and some will fade more visibly than others, so, again, regular maintenance is required and even though the appearance comes back to a ‘new’ look, that trim will again revert to the faded colour over time. I would think that regular maintenance, from the showroom, would keep that trim in a pristine condition, but if left to the point where it has started to fade, then you have left it too long.

Our car is a Holden Astra, and keep in mind here that this car is now 9 years old, and I have had it now for only half that time, so any fading on our car’s trim was already well underway.

On this car, there are numerous different trims, so this gives me some insight into how to ‘handle’ those different varieties of trim, and I will try and cover ‘all the bases’ with the next posts.

Tony.

"Old man look at my life, I'm a lot like you were."------Neil Young.
Old 10-08-2010

Default Re: External Trim Work Up With Back To Black

This work on the trims needs to be done at a specific point in time, of the full work up. Wash the car first, and then to get the paint back to ‘baseline’, run the clay bar over the painted surfaces.

We have had some fairly constant rain and shower events for the last few weeks, so this was the first time I could get to do the full work up. As I now only have a single garage, the room in there is not as much as I did have, The day was overcast and cool, so I moved the car onto the driveway, and did the work there.

Because all the trims are flush up against the paint, you are going to get the B2B on the painted surface around all those trims. Have no worries about this, because after completion, run over that painted surface around the trims with a MF cloth, and the smearing comes right off completely, keeping in mind that you are working up the paint next. This application of B2B at this stage then makes it easier to work up the paint, and even if you get the ‘white stuff on the black stuff’, have a damp terry cloth handy and the white stuff on the black stuff just wipes straight off.

Tony.

Old 10-08-2010

The main trim that needed work here was the trim down the length of the mid line of the doors. Over time it has gradually become faded. Even though it ‘looks’ similar to the textured trim at the bottom of the doors along the lower sill, the treatment was easier for that lower area.

This centre line trim took the longest to do.

For application purposes, I used just the one cloth. This was a terry cloth, in fact a retired face washer from the bathroom, folded in half and then into three, so I had a cloth area around 6 inches by three inches. I would apply the B2B directly to the cloth and then apply this to the trim. I would fold out the cloth every so often for a newer area to work with, and this one cloth lasted for all the trims all over the car.

Here, I applied the B2B quite liberally, and in fact, I found two applications of the B2B to the one area in work on this centre line trim was required.

Keep in mind that this product is not paint, so you cannot just apply it like just wiping it on. I applied the B2B along a section of the trim, and then thoroughly massaged it into the texture, and here I mean thoroughly. It took some work, and also some downward pressure, and over a period of time. Then I would move along to the next section and repeat the process. Once completed, I folded out the cloth to a ‘relatively’ drier area and again thoroughly massaged along the length of the trim.

The lower trim, even though looking similar was a lot easier to work with, but still required massaging, and it came up a lot quicker than did the centre line trim. I opened the doors and then worked along the same trim under the door area to get an even appearance all the way along this lower trim.

Then I moved around the car and did the same trims on the other side of the car.

Then, after finishing that side, I went back again to the first side, and massaged the length of those same trims again, this time with a dry section of the cloth.

Tony.

Old 10-08-2010

After doing these trims, I then moved along to the area at the base of the windscreen. This trim area was again different to the ones just completed, and there were a couple of differing trim materials here as well. It still required some massaging but this was a job more easy to do than those first areas. I also did the wiper blade supports as well.

Then I did the remaining trims, in the main, smooth and some even shiny trims. These required no further application of B2B, as the existing dampness in that terry cloth was sufficient for this. Some trims even smeared as that dampness was applied, but running over those trims with a dry terry removed those smears, and even though the perception is removing what has just been applied, it did come up darker than it was.

Now, just to make sure, I went over those side trims again with a dry terry cloth. The appearance on that cloth was that nothing much ‘looked’ to be happening, but even so, there was still something being removed.

Then, after doing all this I parked the car back in the garage and left it for the remainder of that day, and then overnight.

The next day was also overcast and cool, so I again put the car in the driveway, and went over those side trims only with Protectant. This was used in the same manner as the B2B, only did not need to be massaged in anywhere near as thoroughly as the original application of B2B.

Some may say that this would ‘seem’ to be overkill, but the trims came up a real treat all around.

Tony.

Old 10-08-2010

The following images show this work up of just the two major areas, the side and lower trims, and the area at the base of the windscreen.

Even though they seem to be out of sequence, I have placed the before and after images from the same relative aspect.

The centre image quite graphically shows the one piece of centre line trim with half the task completed.

Tony.
Attached Images

Closed Thread

Tags
back to black, external trim, naturally black, protectant, trim