Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 12-24-2012

Default Wax a New BMW with Innovection Body Coating?

Hello,

Happy Holidays.

I just received my new BMW and I see that the dealer included Innovection, BMW's original coating, on the car. I was planning to wash, clay, and wax the car but am now wondering if I should or not with that car coating on it. The manual says that the car can be taken back to the dealer for maintenance of the coating. So I am stuck as to what I should do. To detail it or not.

Any advice would be appreciated.

W
Old 12-24-2012
Administrator

Default Re: Wax a New BMW with Innovection Body Coating?

Welcome to Wax Forum!

Many people find that doing a job themselves they appreciate a job well done.

Really, the choice is up to you.

Look at the fine print and decide if there's any peace of mind you may gain if you let the dealer do it, and weigh that with enjoying the Zen of Detailing.

And be sure to "Like" us on Facebook for updates on what we're doing!
Old 12-24-2012

Hello,

Thanks for the prompt posting. The thing is that the coating is already on my car. So I am afraid if I wash, clay, and wax it, that that would strip the coating. Or would it be safe to do that? Am kind of confused.

W
Old 12-26-2012

welchanos.

I have a suggestion here.

Even with the protective coating on it, you're still looking to keep your car looking its best, so you'll probably still be doing the car washing process yourself.

If it has the protection, I suspect that the painted surface has been 'worked up', so the paint is probably smooth already, and that can be checked with the 'feel test'.

Wash the car properly, and dry it properly, as is probably suggested by the manufacturer who supplied the car with this protection.

Perhaps the, you could just use the Mothers California Gold Pure Brazilian Carnauba Wax, and here I would suggest the tub of the Paste Wax, as you can apply that more thinly, the preferred option here.

It has no cleaners, (
is non abrasive) so it will not strip away any of that protective coating, and in fact, it is just a further step of protection.

Apply it thinly, in those small sections, and then use a microfibre to remove it, leaving the thinnest layer of protection.

It will have no effect on the already applied coating.

It's just a suggestion here.

Either way, I have no idea how long any of these protective coatings last, and I would actually say that applying a layer of the Pure Wax over the top of this protection will in fact make that protection last even longer.

For further information about the Pure Wax, you could read the Sticky Post above in this same forum, the one that has the wording 'sacrificial layer', and that explains why you should use the Pure Wax.

For those of you looking for 'BMW Innovection' on the web, there are a few entries there, all of them in a foreign language, but there is a hint here. When the list comes up, then just under the title at right is a small blue coloured heading which says 'translate this page, and it converts that site to (a sort of form of) English. Nothing much in the way of information at those links though as to what this protection actually is.

Tony.

"Old man look at my life, I'm a lot like you were."------Neil Young.

Last edited by TonyfromOz; 12-26-2012 at 07:53 PM. Reason: to fix a spelling error
Old 12-28-2012

Tony,

Thank you so much for your advice. Words cannot express my appreciation. Can't wait to detail the car. Just hoping the next few days won't be freezing.

By the way, would you recommend claying the new car? Or would that strip away the coating?

W
Old 12-28-2012

(NOTE to our friend at Admin. Might you check this to see if I have been as diplomatically correct as I should be.)

I would be asking the dealer for information about this body coating.

Consider this.

When the auto manufacturer makes their cars on the production line, part of that process is the paint job itself.

Prepare the base metal, apply the different levels of paint, the base, the main colour, the fleck, or the opal (if that colour has either of those effects) and then the clear coat, which is that last layer, and in fact is mainly there to offer that level of protection for the paint.

Then the car goes back to the production line to finish the build process.

The manufacturer himself believes that is really all that is needed in the way of paint.

What happens after that seems to be to be an 'add on', possibly an extra that will obviously add extra to the cost of the car.

Without that protection, the car's paint is still something that the manufacturer thinks is enough.

Now, that dealer body coat protection is a further layer of protection for the paint.

You can either get the dealer to add that protection, or, and note here I said OR, you can decline the offer of that protection, and do it yourself, and here, that phrase 'do it yourself', is the process, or processes that we discuss here.

A new car, with just the original paint from the manufacturer is our baseline.

We would then advise a correct wash and dry procedure, clay the car, and then work up from there with whatever your product of choice might be.

Now, what you are doing, by using those processes, is either the same, or similar to the process of paint protection (body coating) that has been installed by the dealer.

Either they do it, and add that price on to your sticker price for the car, or you do it yourself, and here, keep in mind that if you do it yourself, then it is you who has control over the process, and you who then knows what to do to keep it in that pristine condition, and that is something that can be seen by perusing the sometimes neglected Detail Guide here at the Mothers Forum Board. This guide is just the one page, but down the left side are links to each area of work for your car.

If this extra body coating was an essential part of the paint protection, then the manufacturer himself would be applying it to every car at the construction phase of the car, not offering it as a dealer add on. Ask the dealer for all the information about the body coating, because after all, the manufacturer himself includes a drivers manual for the car so you know the important stuff that you need to know about your car, and this is just one of things that you need to know.

Now, as to using clay on your car with this body coating.

I might think here that using clay in this situation would in effect remove that layer of protection, the body coating, and that's why I suggested using only the Pure Wax, as it is just an added layer on top of your existing coating, and has no 'cleaners' that will remove anything it goes over.

First, ask the dealer what it is, and then proceed from there. Either leave it in place and just 'Wax' over the top, or start the whole process yourself, and if you proceed down that path, while it sounds like a lot of work, it really isn't once you get used to doing it, over time, and in that manner, it is you then who has control over the paint protection for your car, not the dealer who will (maybe) tell you that the body coating needs a 'top up'.

I hope this is of some help. I'm not cautioning against new car buyers taking up the dealer offer of paint protection, just saying that, as an owner of a new car, we ourselves have access to products here that can do the same thing.

My car is now almost 12 years old, and I have had it for almost 8 of those years, and the painted surface is as good now, if not better, than what it was on the original showroom floor.

I know I sometimes go on at length, but once all the facts are in place, then your decision becomes a little easier.

Tony.

Old 12-30-2012

Is Innovection a BMW Factory protectant or a BMW Dealer protectant?

Either way, I think I'd start with the baggie test. Put your hand in a plastic sandwich bag and feel the car's paint. If there's any roughness, then I'd clay bar the car to get to a perfectly smooth baseline and then add your own choice of protectant. If it's perfectly smooth, then you'll need to decide whether to stay with what the dealer (or factory) put on the car or take it off and apply your own protection.

Don't be surprised if you find a new car a little rough to the touch. After cars leave the assembly line they spend a lot of time in parking lots or holding pens in areas prone to industrial fallout. After my GTO made it's trip from Oz (Australia) to the West coast of the USA on a ship, then across the USA on a train and finally to the dealership on a car hauler; I certainly wasn't surprised that it needed a clay bar treatment.

'15 Dodge Challenger SRT - B5 Blue
'17 Dodge Durango R/T - Granite Crystal
Old 12-30-2012
Mothers® Polish

Innovection appears to be a dealer installed product. It's not supplied by BMW AG.

You mentioned the dealer needing to maintain the coating- if they do it at no charge, go for it.

If they're going to charge you a considerable sum (more than the cost of buying products and doing it yourself) I think I'd rather buy the products I want and do it myself.

The choice is yours.
Old 12-30-2012

I have some further thoughts with respect to what Rollin says above.

He mentions the 'baggie test', and if you feel anything in the painted surface, then that's an indicator it needs claying.

I might suggest that if this is a dealer installed system, and you feel anything in the paint, indicating that clay is needed, then I would be asking some pretty stern questions of the dealer, because any dealer installed system 'worth its salt' should be leaving that painted surface pristine.

For those who may be puzzled by the 'baggie test' that Rollin explained effectively, the bag is just an added extra safety step. I don't carry a baggie around with me, so whenever I am with family or friends who have a new car, the first thing I do (and in fact it's an automatic thing now) is feel the painted surface and this can be done with a very light, deft touch of just all the fingertips of one hand, and you can 'feel' anything straight away, in much the same manner as Craig shows in the Clay Video (at this link) at the 23 second mark of that video.

Again, just like the sometimes not remembered Detail Guide, these 'how to videos' are also a worthwhile first point of call for new guys seeking to know what to do.

Tony.

Last edited by TonyfromOz; 12-30-2012 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Removed text not relevant to the subject at hand to the Off Topic Forum.
Old 12-31-2012

Happy New Year everyone.

Thank you so much for your input.

I was going to follow Tony's advice and put a thin layer of wax on my car. But someone recommended that I put a sealant before the wax to give it a better shine and protection. Do you think that would be overkill?

As for claying, I haven't checked it thoroughly yet, but it seems pretty smooth from where I touched it. The hood and some doors seem pretty slick.

And speaking of claying, I was going to put a window/glass sealant and read that some people clay the glass before applying it. The car is brand new. Do you think that I need to clay the windows? Or just wash it well before applying the window sealant?

Thanks again.
Old 12-31-2012

I have a bit of a confession to make here.

I'm basically a lazy sort of guy.

When I first started doing work on my car, I came here to the Mothers site for 'beginners' information, and the friends here gently directed me to places at this site where I could find all the information I needed. When I started, it was all new, and I had no idea what to expect, other than what I had read here.

To say I was stoked with the results would be an understatement. I learned more here at this site, and became proficient at what I was doing, learning as I went. The time commitment became less as I became 'better at it', and then I wanted to know more.

After a while I visited two or three other sites, and the information started to head in the direction of overload as new sites brought up new things to do. I had already found products that I knew did good work, so there was no intent (ever) to change the products I was using, because they provided everything I needed to make our car look pristine all the time.

I read about different procedures, different things to do, and more directions to move in.

Then, this little voice inside my head gently reminded me that ..... "Hey, hang on, this an awful lot of work for basically not much extra, and remember, you're still basically that same lazy guy you always were. Have a little think about this first."

So, I stepped back and had that 'little think'.

What I had here with my range of Mothers products was basically all I needed for all the work I really needed to do. After a while, I knew (instinctively) everything that needed to be done, when it needed to be done, and how to do it, and the products were always available in my Mothers arsenal to do (literally) everything I wanted to do.

On top of that, being the basically lazy guy I really am, I even tried to find ways to make the tasks even that little bit easier. What proved to be the biggest time saver was the Mothers PowerBall4Paint, and the tubs of wax. I found a quality battery drill, and the ball, (hey, how neat is this) fits neatly into each of the Mothers tubs of wax, so now there's no fiddling around with liquids. Spray in a shot of Showtime, place the ball into the tub, press the drill on the lowest rotation possible to take up some of the wax, and then apply to the section in work on your paint surface. Applies in a flash, at the required very thin application, and literally fractionalises the application time compared with those round yellow foam applicators or the MF ones.

Then, it's just wipe off with a quality MF and proceed to the next section, or, in my case have 2 sections in work. Apply one, apply the second, wipe off the first, apply the third, wipe off the second, etc, and just work your way around the car. easy peasy!

Application time is so much less, and the car is done in a flash.

So, after thinking about what I already had, and what I wanted, I dumped all those other sites, except for this one here at the Mothers Forum, and I had no need for other products as the Mothers ones I had were so consumer user friendly anyway, and provided all I needed.

So then, where does all this fit in with the one question asked above on whether or not to clay the glass.

I have never clayed my glass, and I see no reason to.

I use the Mothers Glass Cleaner with every wash on all the glass. Now, the glass that most needs to be looked at on a more regular basis is the windscreen, because of wiper use during rain, and that wiper use of itself offers you information on when the glass need more than just the spray cleaner.

When the blades start to chatter their way across the glass, that is my clue.

I then clean the windscreen with Mothers Chrome Polish, and while the labelling says Chrome Polish, the information at the Product site says that it is the 'go to' product for glass cleaning.

Every major work up, say at the one year mark, I do all the glass with the Chrome Polish, and when the wipers chatter on the windscreen.

So, that's why I have never felt the need to clay my glass.

Others might advise to clay glass, and I have seen that at those other sites I used to visit, but after 7 years now with Mothers products, I have all I will ever need to do any task I feel the need to do with what I have right now.

As to using a sealant, (for the paint, or the glass) I would just go with the wax for now on the paint, as (supposedly) that dealer installed process should be sealant enough. The wax just adds to the shine, and more importantly, provides that extra layer of protection. I see no need for a sealant on glass.

There's only one thing missing in all this, well, for me here in Australia that is.

I have no access to the wonderful Mothers microfibre range, so finding good (quality Mothers class MF) is a task for me, but as with everything, there's always a way to find something.

So, my adage is that once you understand what it is you are doing, and importantly, why it needs to be done at all, then everything you need is at your disposal.

Just don't be tempted to go overboard.

Tony.

Old 12-31-2012

Tony,

Thanks so much for your invaluable knowledge. I really appreciate it. I'm on my way to detail my car and will try to keep it simple. Hopefully things will go smoothly. No pun intended.

Thanks again.

Warren
Old 01-01-2013

I would really like to see a photo of it when you finish.

Kbshadow
Stockton ca.
Closed Thread

Tags
bmw, coating, innovection