Post Thanks / Like

How we all started....

So, in my decision on where I should locate my shop, I have a few questions for you all...

A little background, I live in an area with about 120,000 ppl. There are currently about 10 ok to good shops in that area. I can`t think of one of them that really does any advertising or marketing. So....

Should I look at working within that same area, knowing that I can put a lot more into the marketing with my background in marketing and sales?

If so, anyone partnering with another auto type shop, either a body shop, repair shop, etc...

Or, do I look at opening up in a smaller town close by and hope to take over that town from the one or two ppl that are there?

I know there are a lot of factors that could go into this decision, and I`m not giving you everything, ie. avg income, traffic patterns, etc. but what do you all think.

What did you look at when you strated your business? Did you get financing? What did you find that has worked? That hasn`t?

In Exile
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds Familiar

Wow!

I am in almost the same EXACT situation, except that I`m mobile.
    The population here is the same, about a dozen semi-legitimate shops and none of them do any marketing, nor do they seem to have a clue about marketing a detailing business.

I too have a marketing background and with a modest advertising budget, I`m sure I could create quite a buzz around here. BUT, I`m not sure I want to: any advertising I do will also create increased business potential for them, since nobody is promoting detailing in this town. I could be creating more business than I could handle (with my day job), and the overflow would go to them and probably stay with them.

Also my advertising will let the competition know that I`m here and what I`m doing. I don`t want this either. Since I`m the only mobile guy in town, I want to keep that small competitive advantage for as long as possible. (If the biggest shop in town saw that I making a few $$$ as a mobile detailer, they could go buy a truck tommorow and hire an 18 year old kid to go head to head with me.)

I think my plan will be to stay under-the-radar for now and build up my customer base and references by word of mouth. Once I feel that I am credible enough to compete with the established shops, should they choose to step into my sandbox, then maybe I`ll hit the city with my marketing blitz, and I`ll be better prepared to compete and hopefully quit my day job.

I don`t know if this approach would work for you, but its worth thinking about. Making a big noise might wake up those big dumb bears with the deep pockets.

You might want to open up in the smaller town and then once you`re established, think about moving into the bigger area, if you`re not getting enough business. You might not even want to move into town. Sometimes its better to have the whole "small pie" to yourself rather than going after the "big pie" and sharing it with 10 other shops.

Its hard to set aside the mentality of wanting to be the best and crush the competition etc., but I`d rather have my little niche and make a living rather than worring about a big competitive war. I`d also rather massage my wallet instead of my ego.

Best of luck to you.

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Hey Check this out...

I here that Biff but there is one way to beef up business I posted a reply to someone else who was looking into dealerships this is what I suggested... PS it`s stealth to

Ok Go to your local chamber of comerce Become a meber fo $25.00/yr and attend there monthly events in my area same situation about 20 shops half of them been here 20 plus years and good reps.. but back to my point I have attended some monthly micro brews and tech brews basically it is having a few beers with other business owners and more higher class business people which by the way have big wallets.. people approach you all the time so you don`t have to sell anything just be yourself they will ask what you do ( tell them ) most of the time they will ask for a card after talking to me becuase i build somewhat of a repore so insted of them opening the phone book and picking one they will remember me.. And one big advantage most detailers or owners of a detail shop don`t attend. And if you do half a job as I have seen on this site you will pick up many of word of mouth customers for the simple reason of these guys talk and love there luxury cars.. Take it for what it worth and at least try it it`s only gonna cost you a annual membership... AND HERES A BIG PLUS THE BEER IS USUALLY FREE ... let me know how it works out...

Jason
    DISTINGUISHED DETAILING

Work and hope, but don`t hope more than you work!

Post Thanks / Like
    PS

Jr this is the same advice I gave you in your dealership post...
    DISTINGUISHED DETAILING

Work and hope, but don`t hope more than you work!

Thread Information