Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Getting in with Dealerships

As I have mentioned in another post, I am looking at opening my own shop. I would like to get a dealership or two so that I have a somewhat consistent base of business.

Does anyone work a lot with dealerships?

If so, who did you talk with to get in with them? Did you do a contract with them?

Any help would be appreciated!

Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    JR

The dealers are cheap details, you have allot of cars but really make very little. The ones here in my area that do this get about 75 a car maybe a bit more on vans, SUV, etc.
    The way that I have built my biz is looking for industries that are making money. I`ve had good luck at private golf & CC, real-estate brokers. mortgage brokers, lawyers, doctors, you get the idea. Also offer on your full details a fre car wash if they get a referal to someone else, this has worked well for me
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info. How did you get in with those other people, leaving flyers, talking to the office manager and giving them a deal?

Post Thanks / Like
    Cold calling on the offices. I`d ask to speak with the owners and take it from there. The first job I would give them a bit of a break on the price.
    Its worked well in most cases

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Shine? That's not a shine Cujo31's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can also check into the Paint and Body shops. Yes they have someone at times or call in a detailer but if you go in and talk to them Im sure you could get in. Once done leave your card inside so they can call you back to take care of it.
    John ( aka Cujo31 )
    Custom Car Care LLC

Detail City Fire Rescue Gonzo0903's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

getting business

Stay away from dealers! They expect way too much and pay way too little!

If you have a country club or health club in the area, ask if you can put a flier on the bulletin board, or you can let your work speak for itself!
    2007 Ford Edge, 2006 Mustang GT, 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2001 Ford F150 Supercrew, 2001 Ford Mustang... A clean car is a happy car!

Post Thanks / Like
    Something that I have tried and foung relatively inexpensive is go to your local chamber of commerse.. they usually have some type of marketing that can help... BUT even better become a member and attend local event put on usually 1 or 2 a month I know here they have micro brews you have a couple of drinks and mingle with some other business owners and other business people... AND MAKE SURE TO BRING LOTS OF BUSINESS CARDS!!!! .. most of these events put on are casual and you can also get good ideas from other business owners.... try it and let me know how it works out....
    DISTINGUISHED DETAILING

Work and hope, but don`t hope more than you work!

Your Canadian Connection sean connors's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dealers are a real pain in the butt...they want it all for nothing and you are only as good as your last car. You could do a great job for them but they arn`t interested in loyalty...if they can find it cheaper they will leave you in the dust!!
    I have great success with insurance companies, concrete and painting companies...If I can help keep premiums down we all win!
    WHADDYA MEAN YOUR CIGARETTE LIGHTER DOESN`T WORK AFTER WE WASHED THE CAR!!

Post Thanks / Like
    What are you doing with the concrete and painting companies. Do you mean just going after different industries that my have some fleet vehicles?

Post Thanks / Like
    I just did a over spray truck and the paint compaines is a great idea, for those who paint house, offices, etc. They have to have some somer over spray work now and then.

Thanks

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Your Canadian Connection sean connors's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Concret companies and the such work in public areas and occasionally slop stuff all over cars in parking lots and constructions areas...If you can offer them a service instead of going through their insurance they will choose you to keep the premiums down. Same with painting companies...a 5 km wind can carry paint overspray approx 2km.
    WHADDYA MEAN YOUR CIGARETTE LIGHTER DOESN`T WORK AFTER WE WASHED THE CAR!!

Looking for 22% Discount TheCompleteLook's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have been hooking up with a local auto body shop and it`s working out well. I am getting all the high-cars when they have body work and/or repainting. The owner wants the cars to go back looking better than new. And I do the same thing, leave a business card in the car for the client.
    Rob
    www.thecompletelook.net

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve not done any detailing for dealerships and that is just fine by me. Years ago, while still in electronics school, I worked for a few dealerships installing aftermarket alarms, stereos and various other accessories (you know the "dealer installed options"). Without exception the dealers were;

1. slow to pay
    2. always shorting me when they did pay
    3. never made good on the shortages

One even paid me with a $65.00 rubber check and took weeks to replace it. Partly my fault for allowing them to continue to screw me but I was a kid (19 y/o ) and figured any business was good business and money in my pocket. Needless to say my opinion of dealership business is less than favorable.

If I were to consider cracking a dealership or two it would have to be nothing but high end vehicles like a Porsche dealer, Benz, etc etc.

Natty
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

Post Thanks / Like

Dealers

First off let me say. That I am not trying to flame or upset anyone.
    But there seems to be a few bad feelings in this thread towards dealers. So I will come clean now and say. That I am a DEALER.
    And while I don`t doubt that everyone probally had these experiences. In my travels they are not the norm. Myself and some of the dealers I know. Treat are detailers very well. You have to remember that a bad looking car wont sell. So are detailers are very important to us. So while I am sure there are some bad Dealers. Here are a few of are gripes:

1 Vehicle not ready on time.
    I know things can come up. But promising a time you knew you couldn`t keep. Just so I wouldn`t take it some where else. Is bad for everyone.

2 Stealing the spare tires.

3 Loosing the keys

4 Using a spray on wax that lasts 3 days. And charging for a full detail.

5 Taking the car for joy rides. Just recently one shop used my Z06 for the daily lunch run.

6 Having my car become the shop sound system. I have had to jump several cars to pick them up.

7 Taking gas out of my car to fill the shop pressure washer.

8 Burning the paint. Then denying it.

9 Detail prices that go up towards the end of the month. You Know the drill. Its been a little slow so the rents due and then all of a sudden all the cars needed a little extra something. Usually about 20 dollars extra.

10 etc. etc. etc.
    So as you can see. There are bad pepole on both sides. I say find a delaler you can trust. If you do good work, you will stay real busy. Several of the shops I use, cater just to dealers. And they love it. One thing to remember is. dealers don`t care about the weather,economy,holidays etc. We always need are cars clean. So we can provide a good detailer with steady work all year long.

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    The only one on there I can relate to is the stereo system. If someone brings me a car with a nice system, I will most likely use it. Thing is, I also have a battery charger handy. That means when I am doing nooky and cranny work, I just hook it up and leave it on the 10 amp charge setting. Then when im done, I switch it to the 30 amp setting to really juice up the battery.

No problems what-so-ever

Ive only done this on occasion, mainly when I am unable to bring out another stereo.
    http://tassadar.ezekial.net

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information