Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Tire & Wheel Care

Tire & Wheel Care Whether you have hubcaps, clearcoated factory alloy, or custom wheels worth thousands, you'll want them to look their best. Metal polishing is also discussed here.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 09-17-2005

Default i want to polish my wheels on my 85 rx7... I need some advise, would powerball help?

hello
this is my first post
i really like your forum
i have a question i have a 1985 Rx7 the car is in mint condtion except for the aluminum wheels
the wheels have clear-coat on them., and they are chipped. they dont look really bad they just dont look all that great and i doubt thay have had much care. but then again the car is also 20 years old.

i sprayed aircraft paint remover on one wheel and have been wet sanding it. i'm down to 800 grit.. it's a lot of elbow grease let me tell you
my question is would a Mothers Powerball and
metal polisher help speed up this process?
i'm getting to old to do all this sanding hahahaha
also could you use the same powerball on the paint?
after you cleaned it of course. or should I have a different one for the paint
i look forward to your reply
thank you
Don
Old 09-17-2005
Administrator

Default Re: i want to polish my wheels on my 85 rx7... I need some advise, would powerball he

Somebody recently told me that there are lots of different roads to the same destination.

While generally a chemical stripper is what is recommended for your application, your logic of using a PowerBall should also work. This is a case that will require some experimentation... it may work better for you than the chemical stripper (which doesn't seem to be working at all), and then again it may not.

I know a guy who has removed his wheel's clearcoat by hand with Mag & Aluminum Polish, and he got to the destination he wanted.

So yes, you could probably use the PowerBall and polish.

One caveat: you're likely going to wear the PowerBall a fair bit, but its real purpose is to save you effort, whatever the task. Chemical stripper and sandpaper aren't cheap, either. (Not sure, but it sounds like you got the wrong chemical for your clearcoat).

Read through this thread for some advice and how this forum member got to his destination:

http://www.waxforum.com/showthread.php?t=651

You don't have anything to lose buy trying the PowerBall on a different wheel and see how it works for you. You are likely going to use a fair amount of product, and you'll likely need an electric drill since it will probably take a while to get through all the wheels. But it might be more appealing route than the one you're on.

Either way, this is just a lot of work.

Worthy of note: if you decide to go back to your first wheel, be sure you remove any trace of chemical stripper before you use the PowerBall on that wheel, or it may have a negative effect on the PowerBall.
Old 09-17-2005

Default Re: i want to polish my wheels on my 85 rx7... I need some advise, would powerball help?

hi
thank you for the quick responce
my wheels look about like those in that previous link.
i'm going to take your advise and try to see if i can get that busch clear coat remover here locallly first.
i cant seem to find there a web site for it.
if not i will call Busch direct and see if i can order a quart or can whatever.
so this product doesnt remove paint it just removes clear coat huh
becasue my wheels also have a dark gray inlets that i would like to keep.
As of now i have only stripped one wheel
so just to be sure i have this right are these the steps i should use?
1 Busch clear coat remover
2 then wet sand down to 3000 grit
3 then use a power ball along with Mothers mag and aluminum polish and then Mothers billet metal polish

thanks
Don
Old 09-17-2005
Administrator

Default Re: i want to polish my wheels on my 85 rx7... I need some advise, would powerball he

That you've got paint that you want to preserve throws some more factors into the equation.

Unless you can totally control the stripper product and control possible leeching to the painted area (which will happen -- ask me how I know this), you'd likely be best off with a physical stripping method (i.e., sandpaper or PowerBall or both).

Hopefully others can offer some advice, but you're seemingly willing to experiment and that's about the best you can ask for.

You might check at a Mazda forum and see if someone has advice for your specific wheel and what worked (or didn't) for them.
Old 09-17-2005
Mothers® Polish

When you call Busch to order the product, ask them about the paint on the rim, under the clear coat.

I have no idea if their Clear Coat Remover will also remove the paint. Talk to Ted, he's the owner and a nice guy who's quite knowledgeable.
Closed Thread