The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Questions About Steps

For just a little over a year, I have been using AIO/UPP on my van. It has been a great combination. Hate to change what works, but.....
    It is time for some swirl removal. I use Meguiar`s #9 Swirl Remover 2.0. Also works good.
    Now the questions.
    1. After the #9, will using AIO remove whatever fillers that the #9 left?
    2. Will UPP bond to my finish if I apply it right after the #9?
    3. Should I use:
    (a) #9, AIO, UPP as in the past?
    (b) #9, UPP, leaving out the AIO step?

The fact that the AIO might remove the fillers left by #9, made me think I might be doing a step that detracts more than it adds.

Gotta start taking shorter showers! Too much time to think.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    I also use #9 as a prep for my UPP from time to time. However I use UPC after the #9. I think the UPP would have problems bonding correctly with the #9 because of all of the pure polishing oils.

I would go #9, AIO, UPP. The fact that it removes fillers for me has always been a good thing, though I can see where you may want to leave the fillers on the surface as long as possible. I guess it just comes down to preference.

ps. I pick my own brain in the shower as well.

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Long showers can be the devil when you are trying to figure out shortcuts.
    http://tassadar.ezekial.net

Post Thanks / Like
    when in doubt- I say pick a small area and test the different combos.
    Ask a question, be a fool for a minute. Don`t ask a question, be a fool forever.
    -Chinese Proverb

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by rhillstr
    when in doubt- I say pick a small area and test the different combos.
    That is what I usually do, but since the only way to find out if the UPP didn`t bond would be to wait until it no longer looked good, that didn`t seem like something I wanted to do.
    Given the doubts I had to start with, I went ahead and used my regular procedure. #9, AIO, UPP, all applied with the PC. #9 and AIO with polishing pads, and the UPP with a finishing pad. I did spray a mist of water on the pad used with the AIO. I also sprayed a very small amount of Platinum Gloss Enhancer on the pad used to apply the UPP. The UGE seemed to help a little in getting good thin coverage with the UPP.
    I even used the PC to remove the UPP. Something I picked up from another site. PC on 1 or 2, MF towel on surface the sealant is being removed from. Works great. I don`t run the PC unless it is in contact with the MF on the vehicle.The MF towel kind of sticks to the polishing pad so it doesn`t fly off into some corner of the garage.
    In looking at the results, I made the right choice.:p

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    The AIO is going to remove any fillers left by #9 as it has a fairly agressive cleaning action. It is my understanding that #9 partially fills and partially removes the swirls, so I think you are going to be doing some work for nothing. Personally, I would go with Poorboys SSR1 and actually remove the swirls rather than fill them if I were going with an acrylic product. I use #9 when i`m going with carnuba on top.

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ive been reading about using MF towls on PCs as well. Makes me wish I owned a PC!

BTW, Dwayne you need to make another special MF order, this time make if 5 & 6 inch MF bonnets for PCs!
    http://tassadar.ezekial.net

Boss_429
    Originally posted by CharlesW
    I even used the PC to remove the UPP. Something I picked up from another site. PC on 1 or 2, MF towel on surface the sealant is being removed from. Works great. I don`t run the PC unless it is in contact with the MF on the vehicle.The MF towel kind of sticks to the polishing pad so it doesn`t fly off into some corner of the garage.
    In looking at the results, I made the right choice.:p
    That`s a very interesting procedure Charles.............. do you think it might be worth getting a couple MF bonnets to do that?

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Boss_429

That`s a very interesting procedure Charles.............. do you think it might be worth getting a couple MF bonnets to do that?
    Just my opinion, but I think using the loose towel is easier. If you feel it needs a fresh side, turn it over. If you feel it`s loaded up with residue, throw another one on the car and have at it. The bonnets seem like they would be too much of a nuisance to me. Try it with just the MF towel, it works pretty good.

Charles

Thread Information