Thread: At what point>

Post Thanks / Like

At what point>

when you guys are detailing a car do you decide what products to use as the finishing step, (wax, or sealant? brand?) what factors are going through your head, and what criteria makes that final choice. Curious, with all the products around how you all go about determining what will finish your job. Thanks, Gary
    turbomangt
    www.perfectautofinish.com

Post Thanks / Like
    For me, it usually depends on the color and customer`s goals. If I know that I am not going to see the car for a while, and the customer wants to pay for the added cost of me applying platinum(or another sealant) then that is what I do. If I know that they are only interested in the best possible looks and I will be detailing the car again soon, I usually go with something carnauba based. As far as when I evaluate it, usually as soon as I see it. If I talk to them on the phone, I just find out the color, condition, and what their goals are for the car. The prep is a totally different story, usually decided on a case by case basis depending upon what the customer wants to pay.

Post Thanks / Like
    Color and condition of the car has a lot to do with it for me. Another factor is the price that the customer is willing to pay. If I`m getting top $$ I take no short cuts. If not then I use a AIO.

I only stock 4 different finishing waxes or sealants total so it really comes back to $$$ and condition of the car. I guess it also depends how the paint is reacting to the polishing and other prep that i am doing.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Detail City Fire Rescue Gonzo0903's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    For dark colored cars, I use Liquid Glass topped with S-100.

For light colored cars, I use either Liquid Glass of Mother`s California Gold with an S-100 topper, depending on customer preference.

I have one client who prefers me to do his cars with Meguiar`s 26 and 20.
    2007 Ford Edge, 2006 Mustang GT, 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2001 Ford F150 Supercrew, 2001 Ford Mustang... A clean car is a happy car!

Post Thanks / Like
    I used to use Liquid glass about 15 years ago. From what I remember it looked great after 5 coats or more. I used to top it with Carnuaba 501. The reason I stopped using it was I got in a fender bender (not my fault) and the paint shop was stressing about about the liquid glass. Saying it was impossible to paint over. I had 9 coats on at the time. Is this true?

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    I dont know why it would be such a problem. An decent compound should take the stuff off, or atleast you would hope so.
    http://tassadar.ezekial.net

I'm just a man.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by LandofAloha
    I used to use Liquid glass about 15 years ago. From what I remember it looked great after 5 coats or more. I used to top it with Carnuaba 501. The reason I stopped using it was I got in a fender bender (not my fault) and the paint shop was stressing about about the liquid glass. Saying it was impossible to paint over. I had 9 coats on at the time. Is this true?
    I`ve been working in a colision repair shop for a couple years and can tell you that it`s bogus. When you repaint a car the absolute minimum you do is scuff the surface with a scratchpad and a prep solution. This will remove ANYTHING on paint. Things in paint like scratches and what not are simply sanded out. Any wax or sealent will not keep you from painting a car. That`s just rediculous.
    The Koop Is BIZZZAAAK

Thread Information