Post Thanks / Like

Arrow body shop guys please chime in on this reconditioning paint query

Here`s the deal : i have a repair to be done on my car and went to couple bodyshops in my area, and since i`m curious and like to learn, i asked couple of question to those shop owners.

One told me that automakers paint is just not the same stuff as reconditioning paint used in bodyshops..................then i asked that to another, and he said : *the guy who told you that sure doesnt know what he s talking about !* Now, i wonder who`s telling the truth ??

The guy who told me that automakers paint is just not the same as reconditioning paint said he inquired into it, where ? i dont know but he says he did.

take care :duel

Right Wing Conservative NozeBleedSpeed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Many body shops use high grade paints like Dupont,PPG,House of Color even for smaller repairs.Some use Factory paint codes and get the paint from the dealer.Most are very high grade.Manufacturers have started using high grade paints on the assembly line because the results are much better and they have less customer complaints.This saves the maker money in the long run.
    Bring it to a good shop and you should get a great product.Whoever sprays your car probably has a personal preference as to brand that he feels comfortable shooting and knows the results he will get.Youre better off letting a good painter make that decision.
    The only advice I will give you is choose a shop that does at least some custom work since they are more likely to have a very experienced spray man. Avoid any very high production shops that are recommended by insurance carriers. Insurance companies love cheap butcher shops that use generic crap because they save them money.Pay more if necessary,without hesitation, and get it done right or it will haunt you in your sleep and awake!
    BTW,I dont work in a body shop.Im just carrying an ass load of hard earned experience around.Good luck to you bro.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink NozeBleedSpeed

Very interesting reply that is yours bro.........thanks for the good tips........much like you im not hunting for prices, but for a job well done.......i just phoned a guy who did a great deal of museum cars, and his job is just awesome, i might go with him, and what s more his shop only has medium traffic, as he once told me : if you re hunting for price, im not the right shop.

i`ll get going now but thanks again.....bye:beer

I'm just a man.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice experience NBS! I`ve really been likeing your posts lately I`ll completelyl concur with everything he said and just add a few things. Many auto manufacures actualy use the EXACT same paint as us aftermarket guys. Dupont and Glassurit are used by the big boys (VW, GM, Dimler Chrisler etc...) and most shops in the us who are up to date use these two paints! But honestly as Nozebleed said if it`s a good painter just let him use what he like`s to use. If you wanna be super picky ask what they use for clears. Some companys (even Dupont) have there mid grade clear that isn`t acutaly clear. That`s why they have a diffrent clear used for white cars. It will actualy yellow the collor a little. So you may want to stay away from those types of clear. If the shop owner doesn`t mind chat with the painter.
    The Koop Is BIZZZAAAK

Right Wing Conservative NozeBleedSpeed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Koop.Im just an old dude(41) that has screwed up,made terrible decisions,been ripped off and pissed away lots of jack. After awhile,even an idiot earns the right to act like a know it all.

Thread Information