Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 08-06-2016

Default Do Mothers Car Care products and waxes expire?

Hello Friends:

I live in Inland Southern California and I am absolutely certain that none of my products have ever frozen. However, the air temperature in my garage is easily 100º several dozen times a year.

I see manufacturing lot numbers on most the product containers, but no expiration dates.

Some items such as polishes seem to have separated, but look OK with a good shake.

However, the Mag and Aluminum polish has clearly separated into white chunky stuff and brown liquid. I mixed it up and it's still a little brown.

Some of my items are about 10 years old, should I toss them?
Old 08-06-2016
Mothers® Polish

Default Re: Do Mothers Car Care products and waxes expire?

Our products don't have expiration dates, but they are affected, as you saw, by large temperature swings.

Mag Polish will separate with a tan film on top. Stirring it up (Popsicle stick or a screwdriver work well) and then cooling it for 10 minutes or so in the refrigerator works well. It may have a tan tint to it, but it should work fine.

10 years is a long time to keep a product around, especially with big temperature swings. If they still shake up and dispense well, use them, but keep in mind technology has changed, and the formulae today might be superior to what you have there.
Old 08-07-2016

Default Re: Do Mothers Car Care products and waxes expire?

I reached for a bottle of vintage Reflections Leather Cleaner/Conditioner this weekend and realized that it was easily 9 or 10 years old. It sounded much more "liquid" than I remembered.

So .... I grabbed the nearly new bottle of VLR instead.

'15 Dodge Challenger SRT - B5 Blue
'17 Dodge Durango R/T - Granite Crystal
Closed Thread