Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chrome Wheels

Post Thanks / Like

Chrome Wheels

I just detailed a 2000 Grand Caravan and couldn`t get the brake dust off. The owner said that the wheels have been warrantied once already for pitting and not to use an acid based cleaner to clean them or they wouldn`t warranty them again. Anyway, the only other thing I have is P21S`s wheel cleaner and the gel version. It didn`t even phase the dust. The only thing that seemed to remove it was my fingernail. It had been on there a long, long time. She said that the dealership used a chemical one other time that they couldn`t sell her because they buy it by the drum. Does anyone know what dealerships use or do they use their own chemicals like detailers use?

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dang, for dust to stand up to P21S Gel, that has to be REALLY on there.

Try Eagle One A2Z, they reformualted it in 2002, so its Acid-Free now. A2Z has proven to be some great stuff. If that doesnt work, go up in the chain. You could try Eimann Fabrik Hi-Intensity cleaner which has a very base pH, or 303 Cleaner which has a pH of 9, so its still safe.
    http://tassadar.ezekial.net

Post Thanks / Like
    I used to work at a Dodge dealer and we used acid on rims unless it was chrome... I`m willing to bet money on it that they use wheel acid.. And thats why it was in a 55 gal drum... Good luck...
    DISTINGUISHED DETAILING

Work and hope, but don`t hope more than you work!

Post Thanks / Like
    You know you got me thinking of this so I called a Budy of mine that still works for Dodge... He told me they used acid on every wheel even Chrome if it`s bad. He said they Spray it on a wax applicator and scrubb small sections at a time and rinse frequently. I`v never had the guts to try on Chrome... I use mothers chrome polish and that seems to work with lots of elbow grease.. Good luck hope this helps...
    DISTINGUISHED DETAILING

Work and hope, but don`t hope more than you work!

Looking for 22% Discount TheCompleteLook's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are you using a brush?
    Acid should be fine with chrome, any cleaner should work without problem, I`ve never heard of such a thing.
    Rob
    www.thecompletelook.net

Post Thanks / Like
    My wife has Chrysler factory chrome rims on our Town and Country and I`ve used wheel acid on those rims 20 times or more and it`s never been a problem. I use the acid from 3D diluted about 10:1.

I spray it on the rim, let it sit 15-25 seconds and rinse completely.
    Ringo

Post Thanks / Like
    You could try AIO.

I use AIO on chrome followed by SG or UPP. Of course this after washing. This produces the best results IMO.

Eric

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have never waxed wheels before, I am definately going to try this the next time around. Does it make a difference appearence wise?

Post Thanks / Like
    Tassadar
    I think protecting the wheels makes the wheels look better.

For the caravan wheels, you could also try clay.

Eric

Post Thanks / Like
    I use HF Acid (diluted of course) on almost all wheels. Highly polished aluminum is tricky, but it can be done if you dilute your mix enough. I`ve never heard of a warranty being voided due to the use of acid. I`d be lost without the stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    I highly recommend that you never use HF (hydrofluoric) acid again.

This is the worst acid you could possibly use in regards to the effect it can have on your health.
    HF acid absorbs quickly through the skin, into the bloodstream and literally sucks the calcium out of your bones. It doesn`t take more than a few drops on your skin to do this and this can be deadly.

We understand that professional detailers often insist on using an acid based wheel cleaner because there is no doubt that it makes cleaning wheels fast and easy but in no circumstances should HF acid ever be used.

What company is selling HF as a wheel cleaner? They should stop immediately.

Professional wheel cleaners using sulphuric acid are a safer alternative, but still not to be taken lightly.

Post Thanks / Like

Admin

Your point is well taken and I would never argue with anyone about the potential hazards of using HF.

However, I`ve been using it for 27 years, take all the precautions when using it, and haven`t had a problem.

Again, not to diminish the danger, I`ve heard all the stories. I just haven`t had nor have I ever seen a problem with the stuff.

I use 27% HF with good surfactants & inhibitors in it, and dilute it 10 to 1.

I also use it as a first step in a 2 step pressure washing operation. Eliminates the brush!!

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can get HF acid from my school if I really wanted to clean some. I can get HC too.

Post Thanks / Like

HF acid cleaner

I used Auto Magic`s Spoke (HF) today on a set of brake dust laden chrome Lexus wheels and its hard not to use it when its saves so much time and the results are almost guaranteed. I agree the health risk should take presidence over time saving, however I use heavy rubber gloves and I use it sparingly and with caution. I must admit I will continue to keep this stuff in my aresenal for the really tough jobs. Unfortunately I have found no other wheel cleaner that even comes close to the cleaning power of (HF).

Admin: What do suggest as a alternative wheel cleaner that can be purchased by the gallon containing sulphuric acid ???
    No buff to tuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Enough about HF. I don`t want to make a bad impression on what I think is a great bunch of (Professional) people who all get along on a very interesting bulletin board.

So the bottom line is I`m really not here to convert anybody into doing things like I do them. Except for Scooter, cause he`s easy!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information