Seeking the perfect shine C_Rock77's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Detail Critique *Please advise on sequence and products

I`ve got a detail soon. I`m learning about the PC...I just got it and a bunch of pads. The detail is on a blue accord with quite a few swirls. I hoped you guys could advise me on this.

1. Wash with NXT Wash
    2. Clay with blue Clay Magic Clay Bar (Using Soapy water as Lube)
    3. Re-Wash to remove clay residue
    4. DACP with PC 7424 (Megs Red pad?)
    3. Megs #9 Swirl Remover (Pad?)
    4. Klasse AIO applied with PC (Megs Red pad?)
    5. Megs NXT applied with PC (Megs Red Pad?)

Thanks Guys and Gals

I`ve heard that the #9 is not really that crucial in this sequence. Any ideas?

Proud Resident Of Detail City scottabi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    megs #9 yellow megs polishing pad
    do you really need the AIO step? Im not sure if NXT will bond to oils or not but I think you will be ok by skipping the AIO if your worried about it you can use a 50/50 mix of isp. alcohol and water mixture to get rid of the oils...which will be tons faster than going around the car again with AIO.
    The NXT use the tan finishing pad from megs.
    I would use the #9 after the DACP because you might notice some hazing from the abrasives, #9 should take care of those quickly leaving really nice shiny paint for the NXT.
    Hope this helps out a little bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I`d probably skip the AIO step, OR use Klasse SG as a follow up to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Skip the red pad unless you really need to use it - the DACP with the Yellow should get most of the swirls - why would you guys tell him to skip the AIO? The AIO will clean the finish and add a small layer of acrylic that the nxt should have problem bonding to
    You have activated my special ability....

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah....

Quite a few people have suggested skipping the #9. I`ve even had some say that I could go from DACP directly to the NXT. I just really think the cleaning and other properties of the AIO will be great for the detail.

What do you guys think about skipping the #9?

The use of the red pad with DACP, AIO, and NXT was a suggestion of Jngrbrdman. I was just asking other people`s opinions of that. Think that pad is too aggressive?

Post Thanks / Like
    If I didn`t know the paint, I would wash, and hit it with #9 first and see what happens. Then I would clay and if the finish looked good enough I would go to the sealant. I have seen absolutely no problems with starting with a cleaner/polish and then claying later. It sure saves your clay bars. Most of the Japanese cars have small trunks so I usually start there and see how the paint reacts to the steps. A good pass with #9 can cure a lot of evils.

Post Thanks / Like
    Groebuck,
    Personally I`d use AIO as a cleaner BEFORE DACP and #9. I`m a rookie, but it seems to me if you want AIO`s CLEANING properties then you don`t want to use it following DACP and #9. So I suggested losing the AIO because if you`re using it as a POLISH, isn`t that excessive? Since DACP and #9 will do that for you?

Would AIO create that much better of a surface for NXT to bond to?

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m with Groebuck, I would keep the AIO as it`s a good prep for any seealant. Also, if you plan to polish the car after claying, then there`s no need to wash to remove the clay residue because the polish will do this for you. If your getting a lot of clay residue then you may be rubbing too hard or not using enough lube/soapy water.
    Ringo

Post Thanks / Like
    Immaculate - AIO is a chemical cleaner where as DACP and #9 are abrasive - IMHO I would use the AIO as the final step - cleaning the polished finish and laying down a bit of acrylic protection, then finish with the NxT. If you used it before DACP and #9 you would lose pretty much any benefit you get from AIO as a pre polisih for the sealant. AIO adds a level of clarity and shine I don`t think you would get going from DACP to NxT. Just my 2cents
    You have activated my special ability....

Post Thanks / Like
    That makes sense, thanks groebuck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well....

My partner and I did the detail today. It turned out GREAT! The client was VERY satisfied. She kept saying how the car had never looked better.

The one problem I ran into was time.....the detail took WAY too long. I`m attributing that to Jason and I not really having a set rhythm and the learning curve of the PC. Due to time constraints, I went straight from the DACP to NXT. It was an experience....and it was nice to see someone`s reactions to our work. We need to establish a better plan of action when taclking a detail. There was the two of us, and it took WAY too long. We did a good, thorough job, but it still took too long.

We followed the procedure
    interior (vinyl cleaned and protected and leather cleaned and protected--carpets vacuumed & shampooed)
    wash
    clay
    wash (even more thorough)
    DACP (PC Red pad)
    NXT (PC Yellow pad)

Thread Information