Post Thanks / Like

Question A questions about PC use:

I`ve just tested the PC and it`s so soft! takes a life to break in anything! (comparing to the rotary) So easy to use, but at speeds above 4 it started rotating, isn`t that normal? Is it something to avoid?
    It`s just that with the rotary, when the product start to break, I usually reduce the pressure and let it spin faster, isn`t this the case with the DA?
    Portuguese details detalhe.net

Post Thanks / Like
    The PC rotating like a rotary is an optical illusion as it oscillates.

The higher the spped the more it looks like it is rotating in a circular fashion. At a speed of 4 with very little pressure it spins at a fast speed but put some pressure on it and it will slow down and tend to vibrate in a back and forth motion more so than spin.

Some buffers do this to prevent damage to the tool. The PC is not a tool made to be used under laod but rather as a polisher/finisher. A rotary is designed to work under load.

Anthony
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Anthony

One thing is the optical illusion, but what happens is, while using even pressure, it starts spinning as if it was free, at speeds above 4. I tried to apply a little more pressure when that happens but as it continuous to rotate I just lift it and stop it.
    Strange

In Exile
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Anthony Orosco
    The PC rotating like a rotary is an optical illusion as it oscillates.

The higher the spped the more it looks like it is rotating in a circular fashion. At a speed of 4 with very little pressure it spins at a fast speed but put some pressure on it and it will slow down and tend to vibrate in a back and forth motion more so than spin.

Some buffers do this to prevent damage to the tool. The PC is not a tool made to be used under laod but rather as a polisher/finisher. A rotary is designed to work under load.

Anthony
    So is it a mistake to use a PC with the "Tuffy" brush as a carpet agitator? I always thought that it would put a big load on the PC.

Post Thanks / Like

Update:

Today I used it in a car, it only happened at speeds from 4 - 4 1/2, at 5 it was ok.

But it does ROTATE at those speeds, with the polishing pad. It starts normal (vibrating) but after a while it starts spinning and I have to lift it.

Any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like
    jgv,

You may have a defected PC because mine does not do that. My PC vibrates under load but when I ease up on the pressure it goes back to the random ovations. Now the ovations are still there under load but they are far less noticable and it looks like it is vibrating in a side to side motion.

Biff,

The carpet scrub brushes work just fine for the PC and do a good job of agitating. No need to worry about using it.

Anthony
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Looking for 22% Discount TheCompleteLook's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`m a little confused about this thread, but I like to stick my nose in sometimes.
    The PC oscalates (spell?) and it is true that at the higher settings the pad will spin, even under SOME load. This spin will not affect the paint as it isn`t moving fast enough to swirl. Anthony is right, alot of it is optical illusion, but it does spin.
    As far as a defective PC - I highly doubt that they accidently attached the pad directly to the motor like a rotary, so I wouldn`t worry.
    Just another note if it makes you feel better - I found that if I don`t center my J hook pad well enough, it will spin more. Also if you have too much product absorbed into half the pad, it`s just like your clothes washer, it needs a balanced load.

Sorry if I am way off in understanding this thread.
    Rob
    www.thecompletelook.net

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine is doing the same thing. After a while it WILL spin, but at something UNDER a few hundred rpms 99 .9 % of the motion is still oscillation, but there is a bit of a spin to it.

I`m not going to worry too much about it.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like
    Of course it doesn`t stop oscillating. the best example of what happens I can give is, as I said before, switch it not on the air, not in touch with the surface, that is what happens at speed around 4.
    Maybe I just need practice

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not being much of one to worry about how something works, just that it does work, I wonder, does the PC not apply product or polish correctly? If it works, that would be enough for me. Right now, I have no idea if my PC rotates, oscillates, (it does vibrate), whatever, but I do know it will polish out swirls. :p

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh yes it applies fine, and almost no splatter, wen comparing to the rotary.
    I just asked cause I wasn`t sure I was doing things right.

Thanks

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by jgv

Thanks
    Don`t be so hard on yourself. Based on what you have done in the past, I`m sure you will do fine with the PC, as well.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by jgv

Thanks
    Like I mentioned, I woldn`t worry about it. What little spinning the pad is doing has almost no torque (power) to it. I think it`as just the `nature of the beast` especially if the pad is even slightly off center (no big deal) or for some reason more product is absorbed into one side or another of the pad, making it heavier, again no big deal.

I`e really only used my PC once (about to make it twice in a few minutes) and right now at least while I`m still `learning` I think my old GEM has a slight advantage on large horizontal surfaces (hood, roof) the large size and heavy weight make these bigger surfaces easier to handle, however from the first moment I switched on the PC, I knew that the GEM could not compare on vertical surfaces. The size and weight that are appreciated on the bigger horizontal areas are not a handicap.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

Update:

So there was a problem after all, not with the PC though.

It was that little electronic transformer, after it warmed, the pc increased it`s speed.
    I`m now using a regular transformer and the problem is gone.

Thread Information