Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Interior Detailing

I am doing a full detail on this 2001 BMW M3 and I finished the interior today and will start on the exterior tomorrow, I hope.

I don`t believe the car has ever been detailed, cept for an occasional drive thru car wash. This is a new client who loves to drive with the top down and the interior really shows it. Dirt, grime, lots of dust in the vents and nooks and crannies plus grass and leaves. The leather was dry and the dash was also.

I started with lowering the top and cleaning from the conv. top cover first. You really need to clean well in this area because so much grime gets collected in this area. It is best to lower the top and just as the back cover area opens up stop it and then clean the area where the top goes into. Lots of crud gets in this area.

Remove the mats, vacuum very well and begin cleaning the back seats first, top to bottom. I used on this interior Platinums Leather Gel Cleaner http://www.premiumautocare.com/plulleclgel.html which works very well but the awesome scent is what really makes it a pleasure to work with:headbang I would recommend that you use a sprayer with the stuff though.

I also use this pad for my leather and vinyl cleaning. These pads were designed for hand polishing but I really didn`t care for how they worked and by accident I found out that they rock:mohawk for cleaning interior seats, door panels and dashes, both leather and vinyl. http://www.topoftheline.com/microfiberhandbuffer.html

This pad in conjunction with the Gel Cleaner produces tons of suds so you actually use less product, which is always cool

Make sure you clean all the crevices very well, especially the stitching of the seats. I shampooed the mats using my extractor and 303`s Fabric and Upholstrey cleaner http://www.topoftheline.com/303spotremover.html

Plexus was used on all plastics and I will most likely wax the wod trim as a final touch. The leather was very dry so I already put one coat of Platinums Leather Cond. and will tomorrow apply a second coat. I will again announce that if you are not using the Platinum Leather Cond. then you are missing out on one awesome product. I swore by Pinnacles Leather Conditioner for years but the Platinum beats it hands down. The smell is better, the sheen is richer and it does not smear on black leather. http://www.premiumautocare.com/platulleatco.html

I have taken various pictures of this interior and the first up is a shot of the floor mat and the pedals. Some people apply a dressing to their pedals but I don`t because of the danger of slipping on the pedal while driving:eek

I will post a thread on the exterior tomorrow if all goes as planned.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Post Thanks / Like
    After:

Post Thanks / Like
    Foot rest area with a shot of the messy carpet BEFORE:

Post Thanks / Like
    After:

Post Thanks / Like
    Interior shot:

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great! How do you get into all those nooks `n cranny`s? Air hose? Q-tips & toothpicks? Learn me please! :wait

I'm just a man.
    Post Thanks / Like
    So tell me. Was i wrong in the belief that you could only use 3M products on an M3? Wow i had no idea! One question i have is. On the brushed aluminum foot rest. It had some scratches in it. Would you remove those with a regular metal polish? If so is there a special way to do it? I was always under the asumption that you can`t really pollish brused al sinse it would remove the nice brushed look.
    The Koop Is BIZZZAAAK

Post Thanks / Like
    TMiller,

Thanks. The nooks and crannies get done, at times with compressed air, with a selection of cleaning brushes and knowing how and when to apply the cleaners. At times it needs to be sprayed, applied to the towel or applied to the brush. My wet/dry vac is so important during these steps that it is always by my side ready to run. I`ll try to post pictures of my process in the future regarding these steps.

Koop,

For the foot rest I sprayed the cleaner onto the pad FIRST and with a small headed brush cleaned the rubber dimpled area. I dried it with a MF then used my wet/dry vac to get up the last bit of moisture. I then used Rolite FINE aluminum polish on the brushed aluminum. I use fine because, as you said, using a harsher or more abrasive cleaner can scratch and mess up the finish. Also, ALWAYS polish in the direction of the brush marks!!

Thanks again,
    Anthony

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just tell me one thing, you did get to take it for a spin didn`t you?

Nice work as always Anthony. If I go to Baylor, I will definately have to scrounge up some money for you to ATLEAST do my interior.
    http://tassadar.ezekial.net

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks soooo clean. Nice work!

Cant wait to see exterior pics. What color is it?
    Elite Mobile Detailing - Formally SacMotorsports
    www.elitedetails.com

Post Thanks / Like

Outstanding!

You wouldn`t be a perfectionist Anthony would you

As always great job, the leather and dash looks great !!!
    No buff to tuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Really nice work, very close attention to DETAIL(as always). I have found that though I once dreaded cleaning the interiors of cars, with the right tools and knowledge, I almost enjoy it now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks all:beer

The BMW is black:bigscream So I have it in for me on the exterior also, big time scratches.

I`ll be able to finish it tomorrow but I am not sure if I can take any AFTER pics out in the sun because it is suppossed to rain all day:angry I am :kneel for sunshine though.

I`ll post the exterior pics in a seperate thread when I am done.

Anthony

Post Thanks / Like
    SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPREME Job
    Dont forget to post those pics man!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Koop
    So tell me. Was i wrong in the belief that you could only use 3M products on an M3? Wow i had no idea! One question i have is. On the brushed aluminum foot rest. It had some scratches in it. Would you remove those with a regular metal polish? If so is there a special way to do it? I was always under the asumption that you can`t really pollish brused al sinse it would remove the nice brushed look.
    Duh! :beat
    You use a brush...

Just kidding Koop.
    That`s an awesome, AWESOME question and the subject of metal polish, despite being huge and nebulous, is a great adjunct discussion! In fact, you have just inspired me to start a new thread on metal polishing! I`d like to see what everyone is doing to clean, polish, and protect their various metal surfaces.

Thanks for the info Anthony. As always, you work is "top drawer"!
    Ask a question, be a fool for a minute. Don`t ask a question, be a fool forever.
    -Chinese Proverb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information