Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Inventors wanted !!!

Any engineering guru out there looking to make a buck ???

I would love to see a company that specializes in re-cycling used claybars !!! I currently have about 2-3 pounds of used claybars, that I refuse to throw out. I still use these bars for heavy tar removal on the lower fenders of older daily drivers and construction vehicles. Imagine how much money I would save if there was a process to remove the impurities from the bar and make them "like new" again.

Where have I heard that term before ???

:-p
    Last edited by Clean Dean; 07-22-2004 at 01:44 AM.
    No buff to tuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe you should try a chemist? We are talking about clay. Consult a chemist and ask em if its possible, then ask for engineers to build machinery. :dunno

Proud Resident Of Detail City
    Post Thanks / Like
    Detailing Clay is really a plastic resin of some type. It is petroleum based, so it would probably have to be melted down and the dirt filtered out of the goo. No idea how to accomplish this though. Pretty good idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    It is a polymer and cannot be melted or dissolved in to a liquid. I am working on something right now. I can get it clean but it loses it`s texture a little. I`ll keep ya posted.
    Ask a question, be a fool for a minute. Don`t ask a question, be a fool forever.
    -Chinese Proverb

Post Thanks / Like
    My guess is it would need to me liquified to the point where the contaminations would float or sink out and then resolidified. You could not heat it as it would "fire" the clay and ruin it - worth a look see to see if someone knows how (I am checking L ).
    You have activated my special ability....

Obsessive Compulsive Detailer Jngrbrdman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I dunno about that... there are some serious wars over clay technology. If you were to recylcle a patented product, then I think you can expect a law suit to come your way.
    ~ ~ www.OCDetails.com ~ ~
    Faster isn`t better. BETTER is better no matter how long it takes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Jngrbrdman
    I dunno about that... there are some serious wars over clay technology. If you were to recylcle a patented product, then I think you can expect a law suit to come your way.
    Thats when you start selling the "Recyclable Clay Bar" Buy it once for $30.00 with the directions on how to clean it and bam your done!

Obsessive Compulsive Detailer Jngrbrdman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Once again, you have that pesky patent thing to contend with. Clay can`t just be made. There have been pretty big lawsuits about this in recent past. If I remember right, then there are only two compaines that can make clay right now. All the clay you buy is made by one of those two companies and is marketed through different outlets. I guess one company makes the plastic clay and the other one makes the elastic clay.
    ~ ~ www.OCDetails.com ~ ~
    Faster isn`t better. BETTER is better no matter how long it takes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Jngrbrdman
    Once again, you have that pesky patent thing to contend with. Clay can`t just be made. There have been pretty big lawsuits about this in recent past. If I remember right, then there are only two compaines that can make clay right now. All the clay you buy is made by one of those two companies and is marketed through different outlets. I guess one company makes the plastic clay and the other one makes the elastic clay.
    who are these two companies? Im just curious!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Focusedonsound
    who are these two companies? Im just curious!
    Auto Wax (Clay Magic) and Kucala (Erazer).

Post Thanks / Like
    that`s funny I thought it was just a poly clay?
    You have activated my special ability....

Post Thanks / Like
    That`s a great idea Dean!!

I think I am going to start making pottery out of mine, or figurines like Gumby and stuff.
    Nick Carberry
    ~Detailing high-end cars with quality products~

Post Thanks / Like
    While still on the topic of clay and the cleaning of it I have some other questions about clay!

What makes these 2 types of clay so special?

Why can`t I go to my local Pearl Paint(art supply store) and buy some clay there? If not has anyone tried using some of the different types of clay available.

Last thing.

Earlier while I had this thread in mind I took an older clay bar I had and decided to see exactly how dirty it was!

I don`t remember what brand it was!

I brought out some wax paper and took out the rolling pin and rolled out my piece of clay (while it took a while due to it being elasticy) I finally got it to the point and at this point you really could see more of the dirt that was in the clay. I then decided to see if I could get it to melt (even though I read here that it wouldn`t) so I thought if I just put it in a pot it would burn ect. So I have a double boiler (you fill the bottom pot with watter and the top pot sits in the water) with no direct flame it did in fact eventually melt (I timed it to being apporx 20 min) at this point I really could see more of the contaminets. Now I thought I would see if I would try and remove these particals but couldn`t find anything thin enough to strain through (mind you when it liquified it still kept quite a think consistancy) So I decided well If it melts I can do this again once I find a new very fine strainer!

So I moved this liquid into a plastic zip lock bag and stuck it in the freezer and left it for about an hr .... but it did not harden ....and it still hasn`t hardend its now the consistancy of like silly puddy.. and when i took it out of the bag ... it just falls apart...so I guess this is why you can`t "melt" Clay bars down

Post Thanks / Like
    focusedondemand, nice experiment, very thorough!!! It would be nice to have an alternative to discarding clay since it is one of the more expensive detailing products out there! But according to your experiment, melting isn`t it :dunno
    2003 Nissan 350Z Touring - Super Black - 6MT
    "Most legit people I know, they`d go a hundred miles out of their way not to make eye contact with me" - Tony Soprano

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not going to give up on this just yet .... I have 3 more clay bars that Im going to try a few things with only this time I am going to cut them up so that I have more experimental units to try!

I was thinking of trying of just allowing one to sit suspended in water to see if any contaminets worked their way out and what kind of sediment ended up on the bottom of the container. Perhaps even putting a magnet in the bottom of one of them.

If anyone has any suggestions as to what they may think might work let me know .....Ill give it a try.

I don`t detail enough cars that I go through a lot of clay however if it was something that I didn`t have to buy every so often I think that would be great! Even if there was a way to extend the use of your typical Clay bar that would be great. This way your not buying them as often as we curently have to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information