Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Interior Care

Interior Care Fabric? Vinyl? Leather? Alcantara? Wood? Plastic? Discuss how to identify your interior surfaces and use the right product and technique for the best results.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 11-04-2006

Default Non-Reflective Dash

What do you recommend to keep the dash from being shiny? I've been using Meguiar's "Quik Interior Detailer" sparingly on my '95 Integra and even that's a bit too shiny. My wife just got an '07 MDX and we want to keep that beautiful flat finish on the dash but still protect it?!
Old 11-04-2006

Default Re: Non-Reflective Dash

JonD

I recalled seeing something about this in my travels through the archives, so, when I read your starter Thread, I went looking, and found this from November of two years ago.
I have some 303 that came highly recommended to me, but after I read this post, I used the Mothers Protectant, and found that the reflected glare of the dash in the windshield was lessened, something I also prefer. The Mothers product actually seemed to smell nicer also, but 'nicer' is a subjective word and I suppose I'm a little biassed.

Part of Jim D's long reply in the use of Mothers Protectant for a variety of applications is as follows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D
Mothers Protectant seems to be the "right" formula for a wide variety of applications. Its viscosity allows it to be sprayed thinner over a larger area (if desired) and it gives a satiny non greasy finish that I like. When buffed with a dry towel it gives a rich "new" look where you want it, like on your dashboard where you don't want reflective glare. It seems to last longer on anything and yes, it smells good too.
I hope that this helps.

Tony.

"Old man look at my life, I'm a lot like you were."------Neil Young.
Old 11-04-2006

Tony,
Thank you for going back and finding this! I recently bought a pretty comprehensive "kit" of Mother's products from Costco - but didn't include their Protectant. I'll follow up and look into it. Thanks again,
JonD
Old 11-04-2006

JonD
That's the odd thing with Mothers guys.
It starts something like this.
(2 guys chatting)

Gee, that looks good. What did you use?
Mothers.
Nice.

(Second guy, not ready to buy the whole suite of products, buys one product, likes that, buys another, likes that too)

Honey, I think we need a larger cupboard for the garage.

Yuk yuk yuk!

Tony.

"Old man look at my life, I'm a lot like you were."------Neil Young.
Old 11-04-2006

Oh ,yes - maybe even a whole wall in the garage!
Old 11-04-2006
Administrator

You can try buffing lightly with a plush cotton terry towel to help pull the shine down a notch.
Old 11-04-2006

The buffing to be immediately after the application, or should I let it "dry" for a time?
Old 11-04-2006
Administrator

The timing you choose is more a matter of personal preference, application method and the condition of the dash.

For your newer dash, probably by the time you finish applying product on one side of the dash, the area where you began would be ready for a light buffing.

It's not really an exact science. Try different approaches and see how it works with the particular product.

But generally, if you want a "less wet look" on any leather or vinyl treatment products, buff lightly afterwards with a plush cotton terry towel.
Old 11-04-2006
Moderated User

Make sure you are shaking the Quik Interior Detailer really well. Like most detailing products it seperates when you don't shake it for a long time. Also don't really let it set, it is more of a spray and wipe product. Also Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer or QID for short, does not have much UV protection. If you want more protection you will want to use a protectant like Meguiar's Natural Shine, Meguiar's #40, 303, Mother's Preserves, Eagle One Nano Protectant... list goes on. You QID is supposed to be used every few days or inbetween applications of a protectant

:P I have tried way to many of them.
Old 11-05-2006

Thank you. Being a novice member of this site, I'm really impressed with folks' willingness to help and their experience!

I will follow up with the great suggestions and will probably first try the suggestion to buff the QID - since I already have some - and then purchase the 303 once the QID is used up to add some needed UV protection.

One last question: Is there a process to "take down" the current reflection on the dash, or will buffing a new application of the QID or switching to 303 gradually remove the undesirable shine?
Old 11-05-2006
Moderated User

I am not sure about QID, but you are able to remove most protectants with warm water and a towel. Make sure you wring out the towel good first... TRUST ME
Old 11-06-2006

Jon D, I have tried a lot of interior protectants. Of all of them, the QID from Meguiar's has virtually no sheen - unless they have changed the formula in the last few months. The rest all have some gloss. Mother's Protectant is good for those who like a low sheen protectant, but it too is shinier than the QID. If you think the QID is glossy, then you will probably not be crazy about the rest of the products mentioned even if you buff the area as described above. Even after buffing, there will be some gloss with virtually any product.

My wife hates anything that looks wet, feels greasy, or that is glossy on the interior of her ride. The ONLY thing that she has not complained about is the QID.
Old 11-06-2006
Moderated User

QID is not really a product that you want to let sit. They actually say on the bottle to make sure it doesn't dry. You are supposed to wipe one section at a time and then give the microfibre a flip and buff it with the dry side. There is really no gloss to it!
Closed Thread