Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Special Care

Special Care Headlights, rubber and plastic trim, taillight lenses, glass, convertible tops -- all your special finish needs are discussed here.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 07-20-2007

Default Motorcycle windshield

I have a 2004 Honda and the windshield has some clear coat over spray on it from work. I can't see it but I can feel it.

I also notice it's on my tank and guess I will try the Clay system on the tank but I am not sure of the best product to remove the overspry from the plastic windshield.

I am new to Mothers products and appreciate any help anyone can give me.

Fritz
Old 07-20-2007

Default Re: Motorcycle windshield

Fritz.
I rang a Honda Motor Bike Dealer, and he had someone look it up, and he informs me that most motorbike windshields are made of plexiglass, which is ideal for motorbikes as it is shatterproof. That being said it is also quite soft in nature.
He had no idea on how to clean it with regard to your problem, so I used a search engine to try and find a result.

The advice with regard to 'What not to do' I'll deal with first.
Do not use paper towels with the cleaning product as this will most likely scratch the plexiglass.
Do not use ordinary glass cleaning products as these will contain ammonia, again harmful for your plexiglass.

Now that's out of the way, automotive glass cleaning products in the main do not contain ammonia, and Mothers is one of these that does not have ammonia in its makeup. Having said that, a glass cleaner will most probably not solve your dilemma.
To work the product, the advice I found was to use a soft terry cloth, but a microfibre polishing cloth was what was best recommended.

There are three products that are specifically designed to clean plexiglass and they are Plexus, Plexan, and the relatively new Plexiclear, which is used on aircraft windscreens. These products are exclusively used for plexiglass, so they would have a fairly narrow use, and also might be difficult to obtain.
I might offer the suggestion that you try using Mothers Plastic Polish, which could then be further used for you headlights, tail lights etc.

I'd first test its use in an area of the windshield that is not in your direct line of vision, and if the product indicates that it seems okay, then proceed slowly to use the product on your problem areas.

Remember though, no paper towels or household glass cleaners.

Also, keep in mind that I've mentioned this problem to the people from Mothers, and if what we have suggested here does not help, they may, (or may not for that fact) have a further solution, so just keep checking back over the next couple of days to see if we have anything further to add.

I hope this is of some assistance.

Tony.

"Old man look at my life, I'm a lot like you were."------Neil Young.
Old 07-21-2007
Mothers® Polish

If the windshield is plexiglass, it will mar easily.
I'd suggest finding away to remove the overspray, then polish away the marring.

Clay should work (use plenty of lubricant), followed by Plastic Polish and a PowerBall to remove any marring that may occur.

Light pressure with the ball, and keep the speed moderate to low.
Old 07-21-2007

Thanks, guys. I will keep a watch on this post for the next week or so to see if anyone has any iother deas.

If I can't find a solution I may just leave it alone. As I said, I can't see it only feel it when I clean the windshield.

One thing for sure I won't be riding my bike to work anymore.

Fred
Old 07-21-2007

Fred.
While you're there, have a look at this short video.
See the blue menu tab at left of screen. Click on 'reel world' and when you get there, you'll see the menu at the centre left of screen. Scroll down to the bottom and click on 'Clay Bar Paint Saving System.
This will explain how the clay bar works, and in it, it specifically mentions overspray.
What Forrest says is to use the clay bar to get rid of the overspray, and then the Plastic Polish to polish the screen back to its original clarity.
Like Forrest says, use plenty of the lubricating Showtime. The clay bar will just slide across this but it's lifting the contaminants as it does this.
Tony.

"Old man look at my life, I'm a lot like you were."------Neil Young.
Closed Thread