Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 06-16-2008

Default Replacement for California Gold Pure Carnauba Wax–Step 3

I have been using the 3 step Ultimate Wax System for a number of years. I was wondering if there was a longer lasting product than the California Gold Pure Carnauba Wax–Step 3. Is FX SynWax a cleaner wax? It is not particularly clear from the description. If it is I am afraid that it would remove the benefit of the Step 2 Sealer & Glaze which fills and hides minor swirls and defects. Perhaps Reflections® Advanced Top Coat would be a longer lasting solution then California Gold Pure Carnauba Wax–Step 3. Although I have not been able to locate Top Coat in local auto stores. I have been considering NXT GENERATION TECH WAX 2.0 even though it is a competitor’s product and I have been using Mothers product for the last 15 years. Thank you for your thoughts!
Old 06-16-2008
Administrator

Default Re: Replacement for California Gold Pure Carnauba Wax–Step 3

The longest-lasting product of those you mention would be the California Gold Pure Carnauba Wax in paste form.

FX SynWax, as well as the competitor's brand, are both synthetic cleaner waxes.

You can use FX SynWax over Sealer & Glaze -- and it gives a nice look -- but Pure Carnauba Wax would provide more longevity.
Old 06-17-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
The longest-lasting product of those you mention would be the California Gold Pure Carnauba Wax in paste form.

FX SynWax, as well as the competitor's brand, are both synthetic cleaner waxes.

You can use FX SynWax over Sealer & Glaze -- and it gives a nice look -- but Pure Carnauba Wax would provide more longevity.
Really? I always thought FX synwax had the best durability out of all the waxes by Mothers.

Grabby

I wish I could just detail everyday.

Old 06-17-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabby View Post
Really? I always thought FX synwax had the best durability out of all the waxes by Mothers.

Grabby
Grabby, don't know why but I thought so too.

kbshadow
stockton ca.
Old 09-18-2008

I know carnauba products tend to set the standard for show quality finishes and hold up relatively well from garage to trailer to lawn to trailer to garage, but what about daily drivers in extreme climates for somewhat extreme vehicles? I can't imagine that a carnauba product would outlast a quality synthetic that is part of a staged application process on the hood of a turbocharged car (high heat) at high altitude (5000' plus) in the Southwest (Albuquerque) in the Summer. I am relatively new to Mothers products and am just trying to understand Admin's explanation. Additional insight would be helpful. Thank you.
Old 09-18-2008

I don't know, that carnauba is some tough stuff. But a chemically engineered nanorobitic wax that automatically repaint your car when you get a chip would be really tough. Hey now that's an idea. Remember who said it first Mother's I want some royalties.
Old 09-18-2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoX View Post
I know carnauba products tend to set the standard for show quality finishes and hold up relatively well from garage to trailer to lawn to trailer to garage, but what about daily drivers in extreme climates for somewhat extreme vehicles? I can't imagine that a carnauba product would outlast a quality synthetic that is part of a staged application process on the hood of a turbocharged car (high heat) at high altitude (5000' plus) in the Southwest (Albuquerque) in the Summer. I am relatively new to Mothers products and am just trying to understand Admin's explanation. Additional insight would be helpful. Thank you.
Under most conditions, our Pure Carnauba Wax has great durability, especially for a product that is so reasonably priced and easy to use. One reason there may be confusion about its longevity compared to our synthetic waxes is the mis-association of our easy-to-use synthetic cleaner wax (FX SynWax, for example) to some expensive boutique-brand synthetic sealants that usually require a specific process and a very long cure time.

We don't talk specifics about other brands here.

But in our lineup, and when applied properly, our Pure Carnauba Wax will generally outlast any other product we offer in automotive care products. Two thin coats can help longevity.
Old 09-19-2008

Thank you for the quick replies.

CowboyTruckn: No doubt carnauba as applied from a low solvent paste is tough stuff. The Step 3 Mothers product is top notch and a great value. I will check with some friends at Sandia National Labs and Los Alamos and see where they are with the chemically engineered nanorobitic wax. Word through the top-secret grapevine suggests that a public announcement about the breakthrough is a few years away because they are still testing it on stealth fighters.

All is fair in love and boards, but where I come from, if you do not have anything constructive to say... I suppose humor can be construed as constructive, especially if it is insightful. Thus it appears that your point, delivered with a hearty Oklahoma chuckle, is that I do not understand the protective properties of carnauba because my username implies that I drive one of those rice rockets coveted by the young and naive. I am not young. I wish I was more naive. Incidentally, I don't intend to chip this car because it is the MR version which has a twin clutch automated manual transmission that is not rated to handle more than about 350 lb/ft of torque. Doing so would be a risk typically taken by someone younger and less experienced. Maybe I should have added the model information to my username to help those inclined to profiling and cleverness recognize that I might have cross shopped BMW and Porsche before purchasing my current car. Water under the bridge. Fortunately, Admin figured out that I might be one of those people who had experience with multi-stage boutique synthetics that take a long time to cure. I am guessing that he/she probably peeked at my public profile which shows that I drive an MR version of the Evolution and have 24 years of detailing experience.

It is encouraging that a committed truck owner in Tulsa seems confident in the protective properties of carnauba. Your vehicles probably do not see the EGT/under-hood heat extremes that my car does, but your environment is similar to mine. That is useful. Thank you.

Admin: Thank you for the additional information. I now better understand how your synthetic products are engineered and positioned in your product line. If I stick with Mothers, which is likely given my circumstances, I will layer Stage 3, plan on detailing a little more frequently during the warmer months and use the new California Gold Spray Wax to add a bit of extra protection between polishing/sealing sessions.
Old 09-19-2008

From what I read elsewhere, except for specialty sealants with the conditions that admin note, for simple products, Carnaubas tend to be the longer lasting.
Old 09-19-2008

(sigh) Never click a send /submit button before breakfast. Clearly I have not fully internalized that lesson.

I apologize for the overly reactive reply. CowboyTruckn meant no harm. Admin did not use a crystal ball or a profile analyzer to divine anything special about me or my post. He/she simply did a good job interpreting my jumbled question and provided a clear, honest answer.

The moderators of this forum consistently provide level-headed and informative responses. That is why I took the time to register and post my question. I now have a helpful answer and will proceed accordingly.

It should be noted that the question that started this thread, as well as my confused derivative is asked in several different ways across a number of threads.

Admin: it might be useful to post this information in a sticky FAQ about durability or, over the long term, tweak Mother’s marketing materials to clearly state that when properly applied with time and care, Mothers carnauba paste is your most durable product and that Mothers synthetics are designed to offer a great balance between durability and ease of use. Mothers is not the only company to position their carnauba and synthetic products in this way and many will understand and respect this strategy.

Again, thank you for the information.
Old 09-19-2008

Myself I have used both. The Cleaner Wax and Step 3 are both carnauba based and it does a great job on my white Silverado and it gives it a really nice wet look. It really looks amazing when used in conjunction with Step 1 and 2 along with a good claying.

I hate to say it but my wife's car has taken over as the baby of family. On it I use the FX Synwax because of the paint being a metallic flake khaki. It gives it that extra little POP or shine I am looking for. As for the longevity I can't truthfully answer because of the way I take care of my cars they usually don't make it long enough to start to wear off.

Hey no harm no foul EvoX. I am just a young 23 almost 24 year old country boy and I promise I don't know what an Evox is. I know of "Ricers" but I couldn't give you specifics. Fast and the Furious was a cool movie though, any movie about racing and cars is gonna be a good one.

By the way there was an interesting documentary on the History Channel discussing paint or properly termed coatings. The one that caught my eye was a car paint they were working on that actually contains tiny capsules that when impacted will break and fill in a chip or scratch. Like an automatic touch up paint. No nanorobots though.
Old 09-19-2008

Location: Vancouver, Washington (Across the Columbia River from Portland Oregon)

I have to honestly tell you I'm a long time and loyal Mothers guy. So will that said here's my humble thoughts.

My years of rubbing car paint has formed several beliefs.

One. Carnuba is the best for long lasting shine and protection....and user friendly to automotive paint. There are a couple tricks to improve the shine and length of protection. Carnuba will give longer protection when done in layers. If you're getting ready for wet winter season......2 to 3 coats should last most of the winter. If you should get a dry winter weekend.....another coat sure helps......and I suggest Mothers Liquid for that Mid Winter Boost.

Here's a little trick a very old Paint and Detail guy showed me years ago. "After waxing with Carnuba, Spritz the surface with "Distilled Water" and buff with a "clean" cotton towel(one section at a time). That already shined and protected surface really "Pops" to the next level. The old paint guy describe this technique and great result somewhat scientifically. The water activates the natural Carnuba,,,,,,,smooths the carbnuba layer to an even thickness and sets the wax to it's most durable level. Doing this in-between layers is also a good trick.

That's my 2 cents for now.......

There's no question........Mothers is the Best

MoparGar
Old 09-27-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoX View Post
No doubt carnauba as applied from a low solvent paste is tough stuff.
Just for general consumption...paste waxes are high solvent products. Liquid waxes have a lower petroleum solvent content. The main ingredient in liquid waxes is water. That's why pastes are better value and go further.

"The trouble with the world is that everyone's about three drinks behind" - Humphrey Bogart
Old 09-27-2008

Dont they say that a cananuba will last 1 to 3 months, and a synthetic will last 2 to 6 months?
Closed Thread