Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 07-03-2008

Default can I clay painted bumpers

can i clay painted bumpers?

What about the plastic lenses for the lights?
Old 07-03-2008
Administrator

Default Re: can I clay painted bumpers

Welcome to Wax Forum!

Yes, you can clay any painted surface so long as it is smooth (not textured).

You can also clay plastic lenses as well as exterior glass and chrome.

Some like to clay their wheels, if they have a smooth surface -- that is, if it's not an intricate design -- though because of the amount of contaminants that are usually on wheels, it's better to use an old clay bar and then dedicate it only to wheels.
Old 07-03-2008

Thank you. OKay though I now have a few more questions. I went and just clayed the hood and trunk of my black car. For some reason I though the clay bar was going to be a little more abrasive and take out more imperfections I.E. Small scratches and what looks like some imperfections on the clear coat. It did not do this. I then proceeded to way the car using the powerball and the f/x wax.

Now what can I do about these little imperfections Do you make a polish? or a compound? Once I find a product to help with these imperfetions do I then have to re-clay and re-wax?

Also can I wax the headlights and lenses on the rear? What about windows?

Sorry for all of the questions. Just learning.
Old 07-03-2008
Administrator

Claying won't remove scratches -- you need a polish to remove scratches, and our Scratch Remover works excellent. But if you have our clay kit, you could try our Carnauba Cleaner Wax on those spots -- it does have some polishes in it as well. Work it lightly and repetitively by hand in varying directions for a minute or so. You do need to be sure the scratch isn't deep enough to require touch-up paint, and you don't want to introduce other problems by working it too hard. If the Carnauba Cleaner Wax doesn't take care of it, you'll need a scratch remover using the same process. Generally you'll at least be able to make it less noticeable, if not remove it altogether. Scratch Remover will remove wax, so re-wax the area to ensure protection. There is no reason to re-clay.

But if you're talking about spiderwebbing, where it looks like someone took steel wool over the entire surface -- and it shows especially badly in bright sun -- that's another problem.

You can wax the lenses, but we also make a Plastic Polish which aids in removing scratches and dullnes -- though waxing is fine and works in most cases if you lenses are in good shape.

We don't recommend waxing the windows, but some people do and it's generally fine. The problem arises with some windshield washer fluids and it seems sometimes depending on the condition of the wiper blades it can induce a chatter. Our Chrome Polish is a very mild non-grit formula and works great to clean and protect exterior windows.
Old 07-03-2008

beanlexe
If you look at the blue menu bar at left of the 'Home page' screen, you'll see one title there called 'reel world'.
If you're reading this, then when you finish, click on the red Mothers logo at top of screen here to get back to the home page and then take the link.
When you get to the next menu, scroll down the list and at the bottom you'll see a heading titled 'Products and "How To".'
In that box is one titled 'Clay Bar Paint Saving System'. Click on that and a small screen opens in the main window. Under that you'll see the text. Click on the service you have in blue, either dialup or DSL, and you'll get to watch a great short video about the clay bar.
What it basically says is that it lifts any impurities out of the clear coat top part of your car's paint.
It is not abrasive in any way at all. It will just lift them out.

For small scratches, then you'll need something like Mothers Scratch Remover, and before you use this, then navigate around this site here and you'll find some really helpful information about how to use it. Some of the other products have cleaners in them as well, and can be used to address 'some' minor swirls (or the many numerous other names they also go by) but if it's an actual scratch, then you will need to correctly address that.
Watch the clay bar movie, and cruise this site, because all the information you need about correct usage of all the products is here.
As you might imagine, packaging on the 'red bottles' themselves cannot contain all the nuances about the product, and that would apply with each and every product on the market, not just Mothers or even car care products, but every product.
For just that reason, this site just adds to the knowledge you need.
Mothers have the products that can address all the questions you might have about looking after your car care needs.

Tony.

"Old man look at my life, I'm a lot like you were."------Neil Young.
Closed Thread