Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Special Care

Special Care Headlights, rubber and plastic trim, taillight lenses, glass, convertible tops -- all your special finish needs are discussed here.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 05-19-2010

Thumbs up Used the wrong products to restore headlights - do I need the PowerBall 4Lights kit?

I was advised by AutoZone in Bradenton FL to use Mothers Mag & Aluminum polish to restore my headlight covers. I used it after buffing with VERY FINE WET Sanpaper, (1500). Washed them thoroughly and then applied the Mothers polish. Well afterwards my lights were MORE FOGGY, went from bad to worse. Now, please help and tell me how do I REMOVE the Mag & Aluminum Polish from my headlights. I tried resanding. YUCK it didn't work. I tried removing it with a straight edge razor, THat removed a lot of it, but still there is alot left behind. I tried buffing. That didn't work. Strange thing is when I scrape with my fingernail it appears to remove. BUT I don't have that much of fingernails to do TWO Headlights with. PLEASE HELP Me remove this crap from my headlights. I will be returning the product to Auto Zone where I bought it from due to them advising me to use a product causing my headlights to go from bad to worse. If I can't find anything to remove the polish then I have to take my car to professionals to have them remove it and it will cost me A LOT Of money. Money I shouldn't be spending in the first place. Please, my headlights truely went from bad to worse with this product. Why would an auto part store with such a big name of Auto Zone advise incorrectly? I thought they'd have knowledge of the products they sell. Obvoiusly not.
Thank you and I pray that someone can come up with a solution to remove this polish from my headlight covers.
Nancy
Old 05-19-2010
Administrator

Default Re: Used the wrong products to restore headlights - do I need the PowerBall 4Lights k

While we are also communicating by email, I did want to address your question here.

Unfortunately the process they recommended was not ideal, but should have worked to an extent. It can be a bit of effort to polish by hand to get clarity on the lens after sanding it -- assuming you are sanding it properly.

It sounds like you are letting the Mag & Aluminum Polish dry -- do not let it dry. Apply a little more to dissolve it and wipe it off if this is the case. If you have severe oxidation, you may just be struggling with the rough surface of the oxidation, and the polish has gotten into the cracks and crevices of the oxidation. Without a photo it's tough to tell.

One problem with what the person at the store told you is that 1500 is not coarse enough to remove the oxidation, assuming it is bad oxidation. You would need to start with a coarser grit, such as 600, then 800, then 1000 -- before the 1500. The coarser grits will remove the oxidation, and the finer grits will remove the sanding scratches from the coarser grits. Then you would polish, but our Plastic Polish would be the preferred product over Mag & Aluminum Polish.

Ideally, you would use a kit, like our PowerBall 4Lights -- it would include everything you need to restore your headlights, including the sanding pads. They are available at O'Reilly Auto Parts and online for about $25 plus shipping, but it will last for many applications and you could use it on several vehicles. You would, however, need to have access to a drill.
Old 05-19-2010
Mothers® Polish

Default Re: Used the wrong products to restore headlights - do I need the PowerBall 4Lights k

Another source for the kit, if you choose to go that route, is www.autogeek.net

http://www.autogeek.net/mothers-powe...eadlights.html

They're across the state from you, (north of Palm Beach, in Stuart) which would mean next day delivery.
Old 05-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
While we are also communicating by email, I did want to address your question here.

Unfortunately the process they recommended was not ideal, but should have worked to an extent. It can be a bit of effort to polish by hand to get clarity on the lens after sanding it -- assuming you are sanding it properly.

It sounds like you are letting the Mag & Aluminum Polish dry -- do not let it dry. Apply a little more to dissolve it and wipe it off if this is the case. If you have severe oxidation, you may just be struggling with the rough surface of the oxidation, and the polish has gotten into the cracks and crevices of the oxidation. Without a photo it's tough to tell.

One problem with what the person at the store told you is that 1500 is not coarse enough to remove the oxidation, assuming it is bad oxidation. You would need to start with a coarser grit, such as 600, then 800, then 1000 -- before the 1500. The coarser grits will remove the oxidation, and the finer grits will remove the sanding scratches from the coarser grits. Then you would polish, but our Plastic Polish would be the preferred product over Mag & Aluminum Polish.

Ideally, you would use a kit, like our PowerBall 4Lights -- it would include everything you need to restore your headlights, including the sanding pads. They are available at O'Reilly Auto Parts and online for about $25 plus shipping, but it will last for many applications and you could use it on several vehicles. You would, however, need to have access to a drill.
I'm sorry, I should've been more specific. I did use the 800 then the 1000 then the 1500 sandpaper. When I put that mag & aluminum polish on I tried rubbing it with LOTS of elbow grease. It's very difficult NOT to allow the polish to dry. I did small areas at a time. Gosh it did dry almost as fast as I put it on the headlight. The oxidation had been removed from the headlights. They were better before applying the product than after. That's why I said they went from bad to worse. I asked in this email how to remove the mag and alumimun polish from the headlights.
Today I am taking the car to a professional to clean the headlights up. Will be costing me $80.00 to do it. I hope it's not beyond repair.
Old 05-21-2010
Administrator

As mentioned before, we do sell a kit with the proper products to remove the oxidation and restore the headlights with the appropriate polish, but unfortunately the store you went to does not carry it at this time. The kit does require the use of a drill.

But sometimes things are best left to a professional, and they should be able to clear them up for you with no problem, as the Mag & Aluminum Polish would do no permanent harm to the lenses.
Closed Thread