Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Special Care

Special Care Headlights, rubber and plastic trim, taillight lenses, glass, convertible tops -- all your special finish needs are discussed here.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 11-16-2004

Default Mazda OEM Aluminum Wheels need cleaning....

Hello,

Bought a set of used Miata rims that need some cleaning on the back side of the wheels....primarily brake dust I think, but pretty well worked in...I scrubbed with some Simple Green which took some off, but not all...any suggestions?

Thank you and take care!

Chris Stewart
Old 11-16-2004

Default Re: Mazda OEM Aluminum Wheels need cleaning....

Have you tried Mothers Wheel Mist Multi-purpose Wheel cleaner?

I've heard that Simple Green can pit/blacken aluminum. Haven't tried to find out myself, though.

Once you've got them clean, polishing may help retard the build up.
Old 11-16-2004
Mothers® Polish

I'd suggest using a proper wheel cleaner (one that's safe for coated wheels), and a soft scrub brush.

Standing the rim up, soak the bottom 1/3 of the rim and scrub away. Rotate the rim 1/3 of the way and repeat 2 times.

Rinse well, dry, then polish with an appropriate product like our Clear Coat Wheel Polish.

Folks think I'm nuts, but I pull the wheels every 3 months or so and clean the backside to prevent the dirt and brake dust from building up.

It's much easier than trying to clean 4 years worth off the rims at once. it's also a good time to rotate the tires.

Last edited by Forrest T.; 11-17-2004 at 09:49 AM.
Old 11-16-2004
Mothers® Polish

Wink Re: Mazda OEM Aluminum Wheels need cleaning....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest T.
Folks think I'm nuts, but I pull the wheels every 3 months or so and clean the backside to prevent the dirt annd brake dust from building up.
That's not true. We never, ever thought you were nuts. Until of course, you told us about the whole freaky "remove the wheels every three months" thing.
Old 11-16-2004

Hello All,

Meant to post this in the Wheel area, so thank you for your responses.....I'll try the "Mothers Wheel Mist Multi-purpose Wheel cleaner" and I would like to try the Clear Coat Wheel Polish but have had a hard time locating it....what national chain should carry it? Pep Boys, Wal-Mart, etc?

The Simple Green did a pretty good job, diluted it 50/50 with water....the guys over at Miata.net seem to use it on a regular basis with good results....I don't think you would want to leave it on the wheel for a long time though.

I'll try to pick up the two product mentioned this week and let you know how I make out....the rims are from a 1996 M edition miata, 5 spoke....front of the rim is clear coat, the back side is not, so it is rougher...more caked on grime if that makes sense...the front of the rims are in great shape, but like most on the forum would like the entire rim to be clean.

Thank you again and take care!

Chris
Old 11-16-2004
Mothers® Polish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H.
That's not true. We never, ever thought you were nuts. Until of course, you told us about the whole freaky "remove the wheels every three months" thing.
At least you no longer kid me about the database I maintain on all my microfiber towels, so I can tell what product has been used, and how many times they've been laundered, and the water temp, and the detergent lot number, and the.......
Old 11-16-2004

Quote:
At least you no longer kid me about the database I maintain on all my microfiber towels, so I can tell what product has been used, and how many times they've been laundered, and the water temp, and the detergent lot number, and the.......
Where can I get a program like that?
Old 11-18-2004
Mothers® Polish

Quote:
All thanks to my three new best friends: denial, suppression and repression.
Closed Thread