Thread: Matte or Glossy

Post Thanks / Like

Question Matte or Glossy

I cleaned a car this weekend (it was a mess...sorry no photos to prove it...just trust me), I cleaned the interior with toothpicks, q-tips, and "armor-all." The owner told me today that I never did the inside because he could not see the shine. I did it lightly so as to NOT produce a shine. He said "you should always make it shine." I said "the shine can produce a glare if driving into the sun." We debated for a few minutes. I told him that 1/2 the people in the world like matte finish...and the other 1/2 like the shine. Basically, I would like to know...

How do most of your customers prefer it?....Matte or Shine

Post Thanks / Like
    Most of the people I detail for only notice that it`s clean, they don`t care if it`s matte or shiny. However, the ones who think they know detailing usually like it shining...you know, the guys washing their cars with brooms at the carwash :beat

Post Thanks / Like
    damned if you do....damned if you don`t

I think this guy wanted a "showcar" type detail done to a car that didn`t look like it knew what a carwash was! Then, gave me about 4 hours to do it!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I offer both finishes and most don`t care much what I do. ON the lighter colors I use the shinny finish. I tell most customers that you will see the results a bit more. On the darker colors I use the matted finish but again the custmoer is what determines that.

For myself I like shinny but not over the top. I have been using Lexol vinylex and tehn buff off after applpication to reduce the real high gloss.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    Same here - I like a little shine but not much. I would prefer a clean, dark look. I`ve got a dark colored dash that reflects way too much light in the right sun if it`s too shiny, making it very distracting. Some of the owners who I have detailed for want the glossiest look I can give them, and others want a very matte look.

-Cleancar

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi TMiller -

I must admit, as an end user (far from detailer) I would expect to see some shine. Maybe not super shinny, but something noticible. Again, that`s coming from the eyes of someone who just realized there was more to cleaning then Turtle Wax & Armor All.

In the future, you may want to consider informing your customers up front, "Look I got 2 kinds of clean . . . one with Shine, and one without. The choice is yours." That may help avoid the situation you just had. Good Luck.
    [ 2001 Cobra ]

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone. It looks like a 50/50 split. Live and learn I say. "note to self.....Mr. so-and-so likes it to shine"

Post Thanks / Like
    If this helps I like my wifes to be really shinny and mine matted that way she can`t see how bad she THINKS I`m driving:wait
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like a bit of a shine. I have found that PB`s Natural Look is the best product for my desires. It goes on VERY shiny, letting you know very quickly where you have applied, and where you have not. Then after about a day it seems to lower to just the right perfect level, and without a smidgen of buffing I might add.
    http://tassadar.ezekial.net

Post Thanks / Like
    As an end-user, I like the matte finish. After having experience as the "silent partner" in a detailing operation, I can echo the 50-50 split and the recommendation of finding out what the customer wants upfront. Without determining what they want upfront, it is inevitable that you`ll have some guy debating with you that a clean dash has to shine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally, I prefer a low shine. I`m currently a big fan of PB Natural Look but I allow my customers to make the choice. Most of them don`t seem to care as long as it`s clean.
    Ringo

Your Canadian Connection sean connors's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    my customers don`t really care just as long as it is CLEAN!
    WHADDYA MEAN YOUR CIGARETTE LIGHTER DOESN`T WORK AFTER WE WASHED THE CAR!!

Thread Information