Thread: using foam pads

97 bonneville/98 Z71
    Post Thanks / Like

using foam pads

I bought 4 meguiar`s foam pads and I was wondering if after washing the pads with soap/water if I can re-use them with a different product. Here`s what I mean: 2 of the pads I strictly used with a cleaner, then one pad with a polish/glaze, then another with a carnuba wax product. If I wash all the pads can I use the 2 pads that had the cleaner on them, or the polishing pad (the pads are kind of dark brown now instead of yellow) with a carnuba or polymer product, or should I just delegate them to my cleaner/polishing products only?
    "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again." John 3:3

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally I keep my pads separate for each product even after washing. I will use the same pad for say Meg`s SFP and Poorboys SSR1 or the same pad to apply NXT or UPP. I might be anal but I can almost see having somthing left in the pad that is more abrasive than I want. I wonder how much stuff gets trapped in the foam that does not come out. I even keep my Polishing MF`s separate from my wax removal MF`s when washing them.
    It`s what you learn after you know it all that counts ... John Wooden

Post Thanks / Like
    I too make my pads product specific. I honestly don`t know that it makes much difference it`s just the way I`ve always done it.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like
    I do the same thing. I had a problem when I first started detailing cars I was leaving a oily residue behind A factory rep asked me if I was using the same pads with specific products. I had said no and he explained to me that even after washing them it still leaves some residue in the pad. So I started using pads one for polishing, One for glazes etc. And have never had that problem since. So I am guessing that he was right and I have never used one pad for all since...
    DISTINGUISHED DETAILING

Work and hope, but don`t hope more than you work!

97 bonneville/98 Z71
    Post Thanks / Like
    I kind of figured that even after washing I should keep them separate. Thanks people for the replies.
    "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again." John 3:3

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Using a felt tip marker on the velcro backing works good for me.
    You don`t need to get all carried away with what you put on them either. Since it is for your use, a pretty crude system will work.
    Crude like mine. It`s not for show, just to identify the pads
    Meguiar`s #9 Swirl Remover 2.0 = #9
    Klasse AIO = AIO
    4 Star Ultimate Paint Protection = UPP
    Poorboy`s Polish With Carnauba = PwC
    Poorboy`s Professional Polish = PP
    Meguiar`s NXT = NXT

I use the same shorthand for the 3 oz. bottles of product that I use during the polish/wax process.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by CharlesW
    Using a felt tip marker on the velcro backing works good for me.
    You don`t need to get all carried away with what you put on them either. Since it is for your use, a pretty crude system will work.
    Crude like mine. It`s not for show, just to identify the pads
    Meguiar`s #9 Swirl Remover 2.0 = #9
    Klasse AIO = AIO
    4 Star Ultimate Paint Protection = UPP
    Poorboy`s Polish With Carnauba = PwC
    Poorboy`s Professional Polish = PP
    Meguiar`s NXT = NXT

I use the same shorthand for the 3 oz. bottles of product that I use during the polish/wax process.

Charles
    :yeah I follow the same procedure that Charles described. All the pads get labeled (the plastic baggies get labeled too) with abbreviations. I also transfer a lot of my products to smaller generic dispenser bottles labeled with abbreviations.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by awd330
    I also transfer a lot of my products to smaller generic dispenser bottles labeled with abbreviations.
    This was something I started with Klasse AIO after I read about someone dropping a bottle that shattered and AIO`d a garage floor with 20+ bucks worth of the stuff. The small bottle worked so well that I now keep all my liquid polishes, waxes, sealants in them. They also fit quite well in the pockets of the carpenters nail apron I use when polishing/waxing.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    I soak mine in hot water. I wash them carefull and thoroughly with Dawn in hot water, rinse extremely well with hot water,and use them for whatever job comes up. I don`t worry about what they were last used for.
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Thread Information