Post Thanks / Like

Arrow ZAINO after winter and 3M combo.

Heres a pic with the truck Zaino-ed llast year.
    After this winter I decided to clean it up and start over.

I washed with Dawn then Clay Bar.

Wash with Dawn again.

I used some 3M compound from buddy`s detail shop with an orbiter foam pad unit. (I don`t remember what no. 3M product, sorry)

Did a great job if I may add. But I was still able to see some swirls etc.

Now should I have used the 3M swirl mark remover for dark colours before starting Zaino?

I started with the Zaino right after compounding.
    Z1 and then 4 coats of Z5.
    And now onto Z2 coats with Z6 in bewteen.

Is this OK?
    Or did i do the compound for nothing if I didn`t use the 3M swirl mark remover.

I figured the Z5 would replace the 3M swirl mark remover. Is this fair to say???
    The gas pedal always listens..
    The brake pedal doesn`t...
    Drive`em safe.

Boss_429
    Tarios,

First, the vehicle sure looks nice!

Secondly, I wouldn`t say that you did the compounding for nothing. However, if you still had swirls after the compounding, you probably should have done what you could to get them out with additional compounding, or an SMR, as the Z5 is not a good swirl remover/filler. However, on its own, it is a very nice sealant.

If you`re going to continue to use the "Z" system, keep in mind a couple of things. The Z1 is a very mild cleaner (at best), and it`s "iffy" that it will remove all the oils and fillers left behind by some compounds and SMR`s, so choose the compounds and SMR`s carefully. You may want to consider water based polishes (wax/silicone free) prior to the "Z" system to insure proper bonding. Also, if you ever try the ZFX, make sure that you still use the Z1 the first time around to try to remove anything on the surface.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Boss,
    I did same and regret`d not going after swirls enough..I had read z5 would get hide them after a few layers....If possible make paint look as perfect as possible..

It looks real good....
    jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    K..that`s what I thought..
    Thanks guys..I ll do that next spring again..
    I don`t want to restart this year. It took a week plus to do the process without having drive the truck around and to wash the truck over again..so I drove the mustang...in the rain and all..and I never did that before..just so the truck would be clean thorughout the process..
    So..I ll just do it next year with the SMR.
    Drive`em safe.

Post Thanks / Like

Back on this topic for a sec.

Ok..I didn`t want to do start a new thread..
    But I have one question..
    I just did a 3M compound #5983
    And I just finished the 3M SMR Dark Color. #5996
    Now Before Zaino..Do I HAVE to wash with Dawn..Or do I go ahead with Z1 on top of the SMR. and ten Z2 etc etc.
    Drive`em safe.

Boss_429
    Tarios,

I`ve lost touch with the 3M products........... as they have about a "bazillion" of them. If that product has oil, waxes, silicones, etc., you`ll need to do something before the "Z". If it`s water based, and doesn`t have any of that stuff, you might be OK. To be on the safe side, you can give it a wash with the Z7. Just use a little more Z7 than usual. The Z7 is a strong wash, and will strip most carnaubas in the blink of an eye, so I doubt it will have any problems with what the 3M leaves behind. Plus, the Z7 will be better for the "Z" to bond too.

Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Boss_429
    Tarios,

I`ve lost touch with the 3M products........... as they have about a "bazillion" of them. If that product has oil, waxes, silicones, etc., you`ll need to do something before the "Z". If it`s water based, and doesn`t have any of that stuff, you might be OK. To be on the safe side, you can give it a wash with the Z7. Just use a little more Z7 than usual. The Z7 is a strong wash, and will strip most carnaubas in the blink of an eye, so I doubt it will have any problems with what the 3M leaves behind. Plus, the Z7 will be better for the "Z" to bond too.

Hope this helps.
    OK..I used a 3M compound I believe it was PI II..and then I used teh 3< SMR..The #m SMR says it has no silicones or petroleums in it..If I remember correctly..so I guess it ay just indeed be a Z7 wash.
    I ll see..
    But knowing me I`ll be safer and do a Dawn wash.
    LOL..Oh man..u hit the nail on the head big time.. 3M too many products? Tell me about it!
    ..I`m new at this level of polishing ..and I`m so confused..I mean it`s getting better as I read more and moe each day...especially figuring out foam pad, wool pad and cutting pad details..
    3M compounds though..there`s so many.. but what exactly is the difference between Perfect It II and Perect It III...-
    They really do have a LOT of stuff on their line.
    Well today I purchased my first real orbital buffer a Porter Cable 7424..It worked great..
    Didn`t give me the results I wanted with the 3M SMR but that`s on another post, and guys are helping me out there just fine

Thanks for your help buddy.
    Drive`em safe.

Thread Information