Post Thanks / Like

Advice on final plan

I have finally ordered some foam pads (two white-polish, one yellow-cut) for my new PC. I have some pre-cleaner and UPP, and a clay bar. I sam till unclear/undecided about the polish. I have light pewter paint in very good condition with some swirls. I`ve read about all the different polishes and SMRs that folks on the board here use and ended up ordering some Hi-Temp light cut (#62?) for a one step polish. I don`t know whether to use just a polish or an SMR or both or even which brand/s. I`m not too keen on the fillers is some of the products. Seems like it would interfere with the UPP, but I don`t know. Since this is my first use of a PC and an involved detail, I want to keep my steps to a fair minimum (as I don`t fully understand the combination of products and pads and layering of this and that). So, here is my detail:

1. Wash and clay bar
    2. polish with HT light cut
    3. UPP pre cleaner
    4. UPP
    wheel, tires, etc.

I`d like to have recommendations on the plan, but the polishing/SMR in particular. Some of you guys love the 100 step process and some don`t. Right now, I don`t want to get myself that wound up (and screw it up!).
    2000 Silverado Ext Cab Z71
    Lt Pewter

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like a good plan to me. I would suggest going to the spot on your ride where the swirls/marring is the worst. THen try the Hi-Temp with the polish pad and PC then check the results. If you still see swirls and marring repeat but using the yellow cutting pad.

If you do end up using the yellow cutting pad I personally would follow up with the Hi-Temp and the polishing pad to take care of any haze or fine marks left over by the cutting pad. THen the Platinum Cleaner with polishing pad/pc then UPP by hand.

When you apply UPP I like a yellow foam applicator dampened. I find a damp applicator really makes it easy to apply paper thin coats of UPP. Just be careful not to wet it too much or the dry/cure time will be lengthened. I can vouch for that through first hand experience.

I think you`ll be very happy with the UPP finish. It is extremely slick to the touch. Did you get any of the Platinum Gloss Enhancing Spray? Very nice to use after a wash. It brings the surface slickness right back to new again.

Natty
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with what natty said, but I do the opposite when it comes to the UPC and UPP. I apply the UPC by hand and the UPP with a finishing pad on the PC. I first cut in the tight areas by hand with a meguiar`s yellow pad. Then use the finishing pad and pc for the rest of the car. I find that by applying with the PC I get a much thinner and more uniform coat, plus it speeds things up for me. When I applied it by hand I just could not get the coats thin enough. This is just my prefence, either way you go by hand or pc, you will love the results of UPP. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use the M/F & sponge applicator that CMA sent me with my order of Klasse to apply the UPP. Dampen the applicator, apply a nickle/dime sized blob of UPP and off you go. The coats I get are so thin, you can barely see them once they`ve hazed.

BTW, the coat of UPP I applied yesterday and let set up over night practically fell off the finish on it`s own this morning. It was like dusting the finish with the M/F instead of trying to remove hazed wax.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like
    one quick thing remember that the UPC will remove any fillers so don`t worry about what you are doing for swirl removal.

Post Thanks / Like
    So, more or less, a seperate SMR is not exactly necessay? After I posted this thread, I read another recent thread and those folks said they polished then SMR`d. I guess I just need to try it both ways.
    2000 Silverado Ext Cab Z71
    Lt Pewter

Thread Information