Post Thanks / Like

Question Please critique my detail plan.

Thanks to all that posted in reply to my "Carnauba Melted" thread a few days back.

Until I get better supplies I am planning on detailing my 87 `Stang tomorrow... but as a true beginner I am looking for a little advice.

1. Wash - Maybe Gold Class, but since I want to strip existing wax and polish, may just Dawn it.

2. Meg`s Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner

3. Meg`s #9 Swirl Remover (until swirls are gone)

4. Meg`s #7 Show Car Glaze (1 coat or should I do an extra?)

5. MAYBE STEP - Meg`s #20 Sealant (if I can locate it by tomorrow morning)

6. Meg`s Gold Class Wax (1 coat, maybe 2).

With this plan, what would be the best means of applying and removing at each step? And what duration would you recommend leaving these products on for?

I do have access to an orbital buffer (not a PC though) and some foam pads (don`t know what type), some terrycloth bonnets and a couple soft "waxing bonnets".

While I wish my supplies and tools were better, products and supplies are hard to come by here in the north... no Pep Boys, no Autozone, etc. Just "Canadian Tire". Even Walmart has next to nothing for supplies. Time to hit mail-order I think.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    This brings back memories...

1. Wash - Maybe Gold Class, but since I want to strip existing wax and polish, may just Dawn it.

Dawn doesn`t strip 100 percent the topper....but your #2 should do the trick....

2. Meg`s Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner
    Should get the paint clean for ya...

3. Meg`s #9 Swirl Remover (until swirls are gone)
    Depends...might take awhile if your don`t have a PC and Rotary..and depends on your swirls and how bad...

4. Meg`s #7 Show Car Glaze (1 coat or should I do an extra?)
    I have this and the Machine Glaze, if you have the time put 2 coats..i think i did the whole vehicle then took it off with a Mico fiber towel..

5. MAYBE STEP - Meg`s #20 Sealant (if I can locate it by tomorrow morning)
    I went straight to the Wax.....

6. Meg`s Gold Class Wax (1 coat, maybe 2).
    You need a topper on top on that Glaze, Meguiars Wax, Blitz, S100 Souvran....something...

should look good....let us know..
    jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I would cut the sealant right out of the process. Also, that #7 will work by hand, but without a PC your arm might be numb by the time you are done.

One last thing is the wax. There is a difference between megs Gold Class Wax and megs mirror glaze wax #26.

GC wax - Has cleaning properties. Is meant for someone who isn`t going to do all that prep work. Up side = often looks very nice on dark colors.

#26 - This is a pure wax with no cleaning properties. The paint must be properly preped before it can be applied. This is a peronal favorite.

Since you will be using #9 and #7, I would recommend switing to #26.

Hope that helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Skip the Dawn wash, your paint cleaner will remove everything.

Use either the Deep Cyrstal Paint Cleaner or the #9, they are essentially the same type of product, I would go with the #9 because it is a higher quality product.

#20 - if you are worried about having months of protection this is a good idea if you can find it.

Gold Class Wax - I am not a fan of this wax due to it`s durability and lack of depth and doesn`t enhance the #7 like other products do.

If I was you I would use this combo:

Gold Class car wash
    S100 (at your local harley store)

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Thomasfl
    Skip the Dawn wash, your paint cleaner will remove everything.

i agree the paint cleaner will remover the other layers but you must wash the car before you use this product, if not your rubbing alot of uneccessary dirt and whatever around the paint with your pad...
    my 2c`s.
    jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Thanks for the input. Detailing postponed until tomorrow, can`t get access to the garage today.

I think I will jetison the GC Wax... from what I`ve gleaned in the forum, not as durable as #26.

What is the best method of application for #9? Was planning on using an orbital buffer and foam pad, or should I use a more aggressive bonnet?

And what to use to apply the #7 and #26, terry-cloth?

Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would use a foam polishing pad for #9 with a buffer, finishing pad for #7 on buffer or a foam pad by hand. Lastly, you are simply putting a topper on with #26, so use a foam pad by hand.

Reason being terry cloths are more aggressive than foam pads. When polishing you use terry... but for any layering or wax foam pads are the best choice.

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven`t been at this that long, but I think that many new detailers read the posts by very experienced people about using 4 or 5 products and figure that`s the way to go. I think that when you`re just starting out you should keep it simple. In your case, maybe 2 passes with #9 using a firm foam pad on the buffer followed by either #20 or #26 by hand. This should give you a better result than 90% of the cars on the road. As you become more experienced, you can try using several products on a panel or 2 just to see how they work. Also, if you`re serious about detailing, buy a PC and read this article.

How to use the PC

Boss_429
    ACE,

Good points! Some of us that have been at this a long time tend to forget that. I think the intent of some of us "fanatics" is to get carried away! Still, anyone that hangs around these forums for more than a day soon realizes that a great finish lies in the paint prep........ and paint prep is in the cleaing and polishing. Having said that, the routine you described (#9, #7, #26) is an excellent one, and far more than 99% of the population would ever dream of doing.

Thread Information