Post Thanks / Like

Could it be having too high of expection about PI-III 5937 ?

Did my girlfriend`s ride today........thorough washing ---> claying--------> then 3M`s 05937 machine glaze, which is supposed to produce high gloss, and remove swirls.

Well, for one, it did remove the swirl marks, it did a real good job taking swirls out. I looked with a projector kind of lamp 10 minutes ago as it is drak outside, and no swilrs in sight....wow !:jump

Now about the shine, hum ohw can i put it.....let`s just say i expected high gloss and got medium gloss out of using 05937, i used every methods, went up and down using the rotary(not DA) left right, low speed, then higher speed, light pressure then no pressure, all of em methods i ve tried, but in vain, the finish was at it s best the first time, not matter what i did afterwards........even tried to spritz the pad and not do it. Of course, no sealants have been applied to it yet, but still im a tad disapointed......my hoped were way high, prolly too high in fact lol.:beat

Do any of you know of a product that gives a MUCH better gloss then 05937? Or it s pretty much the best i can get in polishing products ?Notice, i said do you know of a product that produce a MUCH better gloss, as if there s one that is just a wee bit shinieri guess i`ll stick with 3M.

Also i noticed the buffer literally glides on the surface using the product(prolly as many others in fact), i mena as long as there is enough to buff, then it gets squirrely, and anyway it s time to stop buffing as it flashed off. I didnt find it caked that much, as i use it sparingly.

i forgot to say i first drench the pad with water, wrung it out, then proceeded to polishing, this way i find there s an even distribution of polish on the pad, instead of it absorbing all of the polish in just one spot, thus the rest of the pad is dry.

P.S. does 39009 yields a superior shine os opposed to 5937 ?

Post Thanks / Like
    The machine glaze doesnt produce an awesome shine but I feel its the best swirl remover. Put some Poorboys EX w/ carnuba then P21S over it and you will have the shine you are looking for. I am going to post some pics later today that will show you what that combo looks like
    Elite Mobile Detailing - Formally SacMotorsports
    www.elitedetails.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the 3M MG for its non filling qualities and while it might not leave the highest post polish gloss, it leaves virtually no residue and no fillers. 3M FI 11 probably leaves behind a higher gloss but on a dark car you may have hazing with it and have to step down to a lower abrasive after the FI 11. The MG will allow you to go right to a sealer or wax or what ever after you`re done with it. I put up some pics of my 97 850 that has four apps of ex and then S100 over that if you want to get an idea what it might look like on black.
    Are you working the MG until it`s pretty much gone? If you`re having to wipe a lot off then maybe you`re leaving some product behind as to why the shine doesn`t come up too good, just a thought.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking kbtr6

kbtr6, I work the MG till there`s nothing, i mean up until there s still some MG on the surface, the polishin pad literally glides on it, but when it flashes off, the pad starts to get squirrely, and grips on the surface.......as soon as it does that i stop buffing.

It leaves no residues, or if any it s nothing worth mentioning IMO.

Your pic prolly are in the gallery section.......i`ll go have a look...........if not, just send em to me via email

Oh come to think of it, do you spritz your pad with the MG......and on the sides of your car, or if you will in tight spots where the pad doesnt fully sits, do you use an up and down motion with the rotary along that line, or just move along it without up and down motion ?

Best regards

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t have a rotary, yet, I have a PC 7336 but I start out working at a right angle to the panel and finish up in the direction of air flow or front to rear. I spritz the pad as I start each panel or for a second run. I`ve found that the MG will gum up pads at a fairly good rate regardless how little I use so it helps to clean the pad often to keep build up to a minimum. It sounds like you`re working it ok and if you`re not having a streaking problem with regard to residue then maybe your expectations for a post polish gloss are higher than the MG can deliver. The product itself was formulated to prepare the surface for a follow up product to increase gloss and offer protection. I`d say if you`re happy with the swirl removing capabilities then stay with it and work up the gloss factor after the fact. You can also experiment with other polishes too of course and see what you end up with. I`ve had good luck with the 3M Fine Cut Rubbing Compound and a very mild pad for removing "common swirls" and was happy with the look before adding a sealant or wax.

Post Thanks / Like
    When using 3M FI-II Machine Polish 39003 with a yellow LC cutting pad on the PC, I follow with 3M SMR 39009 and a white LC pad, and then P21S GEPC also with a white LC pad.

Following-up with the 39009 and then the GEPC leaves a very nice high gloss prior to applying your choice of wax/sealant.

I haven`t used 5937, but my initial reaction would be to follow-up with 39009 and then P21S GEPC.

Thread Information