Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wax 101

Post Thanks / Like

Wax 101

Hi,

I`m somewhat new in detailing and want to learn. I have a couple of questions if you can explain:

* What is the difference between wax and polish? Do I use one after another? Can you give some examples with certain products.

* What is the difference between carnauba wax and synthetic wax. Is there an advantage between one or the other. Does one last longer or shines more than another. I was told never to use synthetic wax but I`ve read synthetic wax (aka: Poorboy/Zaino) shines better and last longer than carnauba.

Post Thanks / Like
    Polish cleans and gives the gloss to car paint finish and wax protects the finish from the elements.

Answer to second question- They both protect, however, a sealant (synthetic wax) usually last and protects longer.

Ron
    Ron - always trying to improve and perfect my trade

Click here to visit my gallery

Boss_429
    tiffanyp,

Yep, don`t let some of the terms that some manufacturers use get you confused. For example, Zaino is called "Show Car Polish", but is really a synthetic protective coating (sealant, or synthetic wax if you like). Carnauba wax is a natural protective coating (or wax) made from carnauba.

Some polishes.................. Poorboy`s SSR series, Meguiar`s #9, Meguiar`s SFP (Swirl Free Polish), 3M Finesse It II, and many others.

Some synthetic protective coatings - Poorboy`s EX-P, 4 Star UPP, Meguiar`s NXT, Zaino, Klasse, BlackFire and more.

Some natural protective coatings - P21S/S100, Natty`s Wax, Pinnacle Souveran, Meguiar`s #26, just to name a few.

97 bonneville/98 Z71
    Post Thanks / Like
    A synthetic/polymer will last longer, but will not give that deep rich look.

A carnuba product will give more of a deep, rich look to the paint, hide minor flaws more, but not last as long as a synthetic/ploymer.

Most people will use a synthetic/polymer topped with a carnuba for the best of both.
    "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again." John 3:3

Post Thanks / Like
    There are also hybrid synthetic/carnauba products. The main example that comes to mind is Poorboy`s EX.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies. I think I`m going to follow III idea and use synthetic topped with a carnauba. In your experience, does the PB EX-P shines better than Zaino Z2 with ZFX?

Need Help Here.:wait

:jump

Boss_429
    Originally posted by tiffanyp
    Thanks for the replies. I think I`m going to follow III idea and use synthetic topped with a carnauba. In your experience, does the PB EX-P shines better than Zaino Z2 with ZFX?

Need Help Here.:wait

:jump
    "Better" is in the eyes of the user. The EX-P will have a different look.

What color(s) vehicle(s) will you be using the stuff one?

Post Thanks / Like
    Colors will be Black and Steel Grey (dark gunmetal look).

TIA!:angel

Boss_429

TIA!:angel
    Hmmmmm.......... both dark colors............ I would think that EX-P, topped with carnauba would look a bit better............ certainly a bit different. I have a Dark Shadow Gray truck that I used Zaino Z5, and Z2 on. I`ve switched to synthetic/carnauba combos, as I think it looks better. On my previous white vehicle, I really liked Zaino. On my wifes black SUV, I really prefer a glaze/carnauba.

Anyhow, again................. you`ll need to be your own judge.

Post Thanks / Like
    For those colors, I would try Vanilla Moose topped with regular EX. I find that combo provides a very rich, wet, and deep gloss on dark greys. Should do the same for black.

Post Thanks / Like
    Where can I get Vanilla Moose? I seem to keep loosing the store every time I find it .... :dunno
    Fasten Your Seat Belt! It helps keep the aliens from sucking you out of the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by dalmore
    Where can I get Vanilla Moose? I seem to keep loosing the store every time I find it .... :dunno
    Vanilla Moose is manufactured by ClearKote -
    ClearKote Website

I purchased my ClearKote products through one of their distributors, Specialty Motoring -
    Specialty Motoring Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by III
    A synthetic/polymer will last longer, but will not give that deep rich look.

A carnuba product will give more of a deep, rich look to the paint, hide minor flaws more, but not last as long as a synthetic/ploymer.

Most people will use a synthetic/polymer topped with a carnuba for the best of both.
    Meguiar`s #20 Polymer Sealant topped with #26 Yellow Wax would also accomplish this task.

Here`s a link to the Meguiar`s sitemap: http://www.meguiars.com/sitemap/

Just my thoughts...

Post Thanks / Like
    My suggestion is what I did a year ago when I got started. I went to www.poorboysworld.com, got the phone number and called. Steve is the owner. He`s had years of bodyshop and detailing shop experience and he developed the Poorboy line of detailing products. He`ll be happy to guide you, as he did me, won`t sell you anything you don`t need and will always provide great products and service.

Sticking with his line of products helped me to avoid all the confusion of what products do what and where to get them. Talk to him and be sure to get some Spray & Wipe.
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by mirrorfinishman
    Meguiar`s #20 Polymer Sealant topped with #26 Yellow Wax would also accomplish this task.

Here`s a link to the Meguiar`s sitemap: http://www.meguiars.com/sitemap/

Just my thoughts...
    MFM,

Great advice. I`m a little on the slow side, welcome back!
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information