Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like

Take a look here

Alright, I want some people to look at this, and critique it. I spent 6 hours on this car (Its my Mothers) and it was never truly cleaned (Gas Station Automatic washes).

1st: Meguiars Gold Class Car Wash
    2nd: Clay Bar w/Meguiars QD for lube
    3rd: Wash again (cleaned wheels at this stage using Eagle One A2Z)
    4th: Meguiars Gold Class Wax
    5th: Let haze and buff, then checked buffing with LED flashlight
    6th: Cleaned Interior (Vacuumed before starting, used Vinylex, Meguiars Leather Conditioner)
    7th: Meguiars QD
    8th: Cleaned Windows w/ Eagle One 20/20
    9th: Final sweep over entire exterior with cloth

Now, not using any different materials (Such as my Meguiars Mirror Glaze products), could I have done any better. Also, I apologize about the vagueness of the pictures, I took the pictures at midnight, and taking the car outside was not an option (Parents asleep above the garage )

wayne
    "Now, not using any different materials (Such as my Meguiars Mirror Glaze products), could I have done any better."

If the end results are as good as the pics and the car is clean, protected and you and "mom" are satisfied, then, I would say no

On the other hand, I am always looking for ways of improving and can always find "something" that can be improved on for the "next go `round".

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well I have a setup of Meguiars Mirror Glaze (#6, #7, #26). If I were to have used those (And im assumiing that the #6 is going to be a pretty abrasive compound) I would imagine that it woul be shinning much much deeper, or am I mistaken?

Jayhawk fan.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi!

When you say #6 you mean the cleaner wax? I wouldnt consider this a compound. It is like a turtle wax or a simmilar product that cleans the surface of bonded contaminates and gives a shine. It is not really what you would need for this job unless you were in a hurry and didnt want the greatest depth and shine.

The Glaze and the Wax are decent though and if you had used the #7 followed by the #26 you wouldnt have been unhappy.

The Gold Class wax IS suprisingly reflective. I tried it and I was impressed at the shine! It is a super shine BUT it doesnt last. I noticed that it doesnt last long on the paint. I am used to a high quality carnauba or a good synthetic that lasts alot longer for protection. If you dont mind repeating the waxing process every few weeks its a very shiny wax but for a more durable option you could try the #26 or EVEN some of the products you see us talking about here. Synthetics like Zaino, Klasse, or Collinite Insulator are nice and so are high quality carnaubas like Blitz or P21S.

If you want to have fun go to the store connected to this forum and get the P21S cleansing lotion and the P21S wax. You will enjoy it!

Best regards,
    John

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    OKay I went out and bought the Meguiars Swirl Remover 2.0(Meguiars is the highest quality stuff I can buy locally) and am getting ready to do another car.

So I am considering doing the following in this order

1xSwirl Remover, 1x#6 Cleaner, 2x#26 Hi-Tech, 1x #7 Glaze Polish

Does this sound like a good setup for waxing? It will be preceded by a wash,clay,wash.

wayne
    Just curious, have you considered ordering from 4-Star? The stuff they sell will pay for itself in time wasted on repeat polishing/waxing using Meguiars. IMO, Meguiars makes good polishes/compounds, etc, but the durability on their wax is not very long and considering the amount of work put into "prepping" a car for a "wax job", I like something very durable such as Klase, Collinite or Zaino.
    also, it helps to use a "non-staining product like Zaino, Klasse or P21S to save time detailing.
    Just my .02

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well of course I have looked at it, but it comes down to the fact that I am 16, and my parents are skeptical of letting me order things like this over the internet.

However, given the fact that my latest Pep Boys run cost me just over $100, they might be more open to it next time.

It would be really really really nice if Premium carried bulk of Lexol products.

But what about that setup I just described in my last post, does it sound good?

Incase anyone cared, more pics of the BMW and one of the Mustang that I have referred to.

wayne
    I would use #7 before #26, as #7 has NO durabilityto it and is usually used by body shops on new paint before paint has cured enough to apply wax or sealant.
    I do not personally see the point in using #6 in this application..., save yourself a step

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Okay so if I use the Swirl remover, the #7, and the #26...how many coats should I use of each?

wayne
    #9- as many as needed
    #7- until you are satisfied with "the look"
    #26- one coat, it does not layer like a synthetic.

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well considering about 50% of the car has been recently repainted, I am not sure how much to use of the #9.

I am thinking 1 coat, and see how it looks. I know this is going to take me more than a day to do, so is it safe to leave the car overnight with nothing more than the #9 on it? Or do I need to get the #7 on it before I stop.

wayne
    The new #9 2.0 is best used with a machine application. It will not "hurt" to leave it overnight if parked in a garage or covered.
    It is always best to finish, as dust and other contaminants could get on the finish before finishing and cause micro-marring or swirls/loght scratching.
    Of course, you can rewash the car the next day, but that is creating work. Why not just wait until you have a day off and apply, starting that morning and finishing later that day.
    Also, do not rub in "circles", it is best to use back and forth movements in the direction of the air flow of the car....

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not an option to take a day off (Must go to school), I have to have it ready to go by 6AM Wednesday.

Thread Information