Thread: Buffing problem

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like

Buffing problem

I detailed a friend`s 2002 Midnight Blue Mustang today. And it was going well, the car was starting to really shine. However, I was crunched for time, and was forced to use Megs GC Wax. So I have washed the car, clayed it, washed it again. The clay picked up an UNGODLY ammount of dirt off the roof, so I knew the car had been mistreated for some time.

Then all hell broke loose. It was getting dark, so I was forced to buff the wax...using a FLASHLIGHT for light. It was nearly impossible. And to top it off, I went through 4 TC cloths to get it buffed in. It took me an entire hour to do it.

Can anyone tell me why the car was so hard to get wax onto? Does it seriously need some Megs SR 2.0 to cut down to the clearcoat?

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anytime I have had a problem removing a product it was because of one of two things.
    1. Letting it dry too long.
    2. Using too much of the product.

Using too much product was a very hard habit for me to break, and I think that is true for a lot of people.
    Possibly you could try a section, applying a very small amount and then see how it looks. Follow the mfg`s instructions. Use a damp applicator if it is called for. Gold Class didn`t seem like a difficult wax to use the few times I tried it.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    I use to use GC, the only time I had problems was when I didn`t let the wax set up long enough or the humidity was high. Also, were you outside? If so it could`ve been that dew was forming on the car as you were trying to remove the wax. I also found that when the wax didn`t have time to set up the towel would become "gummy", did it do this?

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was waxing outside, and it was VERY humid. I dont think I was using too much, I was actually afraid I was using too little. I basically used a line of wax that went halfway down the door, I dont consider that too much.

But that stuff would just not buff in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you apply it to the whole car and allow it to set up or did you work it one section at a time? Describe your method of application.

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    I applied to the entire car, then buffed it in.

I used a clean TC cloth to apply and buff. But I went through several towels to buff, it kept getting clogged up, or atleast thats the best way I can describe it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Tassadar
    I applied to the entire car, then buffed it in.

I used a clean TC cloth to apply and buff. But I went through several towels to buff, it kept getting clogged up, or atleast thats the best way I can describe it.
    So the towel got a little "gummy" right? It has happened to me in high humidity conditions. I still think that maybe dew had something to do with it. Either way the wax did not have enough time to set up.

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    How long after applying the wax should I wait?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Tassadar
    How long after applying the wax should I wait?
    It depends on the wax, humidity, temperature,etc. I would say with the GC under normal conditions 20 minutes would be plenty. I have had to wait as long as an hour(in the summer the humidity in memphis is UNREAL). A good way to tell is to take a CLEAN finger and make a mark in the wax, if it smears it needs longer, if the area wipes clean(no streaks or smears), then it is ready for removal.

Thread Information