Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy poor results on my black BMW-swirls

Well, With the advice I got from this board, I started my first detail job on my 95 BMW. It`s black and has tons of spiderwebs. (I think that`s what they`re called - they reflect the sun and look like spiderwebs!)

Anyway, I decided to just test out the decklid. Here`s what I did:
    1) wash
    2) claybar
    3) 3M Swirl Mark Remover
    4) Meg`s show car glaze
    5) Megs #26

To my dissapointment, the spiderwebs are still there. Keep in mind that I did all of this by hand , but used pretty good pressure. The good part is that the shine and polished look is great when the sun isn`t reflecting on it!!!!

I was told that I should use megs DACP before the SMR. Will this help?

I really don`t want to buy a Rotary buffer and have decided that if that`s what I have to do to make the car look good, I`ll probably just send it to a pro (I really want to try to make this work myself though)

If I have to send it to a pro, can anyone recommend someone in the San Francisco Bay Area? I live in San Jose and work in Redwood City. Anyone willing to take part of the payment in about $150 worth of new detailing product?????

Thanks,
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    If the DACP doesn`t work, I would send it to a pro, then maintain it with the products you have. I would also try to find out what in the washing process is causing the swirls. Just my .02. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Others may disagree, but I don`t think you can really detail a dark vehicle without the PC at the very least. Maybe if you spend hours hand-polishing and even then. My Galactic Blue VW Jetta convinced me to go with a buffer and the results are 100 times superior to hand polishing. Give it up and spring for the $200 for the buffer and a decent supply of pads or just live with swirls.

You down with UPP?
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with ACE. Your results with the PC will be night and day compared to hand application. Remember that if you buy the PC you will get many years of use out of it and if you get into detailing then you can easily make up the cost and then some by doing others vehicles for $$$. If you do not want to spend the loot for the PC then you may be better off paying a detailer to do the work for you. I personally would consider the long term cost projection of haveing my auto detailed by a pro at $150 a pop or a 2-3 hundred dollar investment and learning to do it myself and learning a marketable skill at the same time.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC)

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a black BMW and before I had a PC here is what I did with great results, but bare in mind that my paint was in decent shape to start with.

Wash and dry
    Clay bar
    polish
    swril remover 3M
    glaze
    wax
    You can see that the car turned out well.

One thing that I saw in your post was you did not polish the car that helps to set up the paint for the swril remover. All the products that you are using are fine.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Thread Information