Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Wet sanding and buffing loose paint

I have a 2000 mustang im getting ready to do that had a few little benders. I was wondering if it was safe to wet sand or buff over spider webbed or chipped paint any suggestions would really help

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    wish I could help but truth is I`ve never wet sanded. I know Steve (Poorboy) has done plenty of wet and dry sanding. Hopefully he or one of the other experienced folks here will chime in.

Good luck!!!

Natty
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

I'm just a man.
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is a tough one. I`d say if you have previous experience wet sanding try it but use a block! you do not want to dig into the chips at all so don`t do it by hand! The reason i find it so hard is you can`t tell if your going through the paint because it will have collor in it from where the paint is chiped. The advice I`d give is: if your trying it is to go VERY VERY SLOW using no harsher than 1500, use a block, stop wipe the surface and check for spots where you went through and if the scratches are gone. Just remember if you go through all is not lost as long as you stop RIGHT AWAY! Good luck. I`m sure someone can tell you about sanding on spiderwebbing. I`ve never had to.
    The Koop Is BIZZZAAAK

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Natty,

I thought you were sleeping

if the paint has a lot of chips and spider-webbing going on..you are probably wasting your time...if its just your nose(of the vehicle) then not that bad...

what kind of spider-webbing are we talking about?
    the stuff that looks like paint cracking...don`t touch..period..you will advance the spidering(is that a word?)

if you`re talking about spider webbing in the finish that look like buffing marks, then I would use 2000 and if you are inexperienced at this ....do it dry and very lightly to level off the finish..this way you can see exactly where you are at all times

it`s called wet/dry paper for that reason...you will though use much more paper and it`s expensive if the vehicle is large....
    I`ve done a bunch both ways...wet is good between layers of paint or when trying to remove overspray(lots) or even after many coats of clear to level them off....only problem with a newbee is that sometime they tend to sand too far and then it`s a paint job...

as far as chips go..be gentle around them and try to actually fill them before sanding..worst that canthen happen is you`ll take it all back out...

hoped it helped
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

I'm just a man.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good point poorboy! Get some touch up paint and try and fill the chips b4 you start. I would suggest getting it at a good body shop who will match your exactly color though.

Also what did you mean by between paint layers? clear and base?
    The Koop Is BIZZZAAAK

Post Thanks / Like
    Koop believe it or not ...not all paint work is basecoat/clearcoat..

I meant between layers of paint...i.e. Laquer or even one stage paints that can be layered.....I guess I`m use to the Classic Cars...

I would advise not sanding between base and clear...you can trap some sanding marks in that will drive you crazy later on...

I'm just a man.
    Post Thanks / Like
    heh heh i know it`s not all base clear. I work in a body shop. I`ve had my fair share of time behind the gun. I have to admit though i`ve only used single stage twice though. And laqures!!!!! AHHHH no i`ll never touch em. I personaly think they are hideous and are not durrable at all. Why would one want to wet sand between layers of single stage?

PS for a perfect show car finnish i do sand off some of my first layer of clear with 500 and then re clear! Leaves minimal orange peal and you won`t get any waves in the paint at all.
    The Koop Is BIZZZAAAK

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    What a great site! I mean look at the invaluable source of experienced knowledge here. Koop with his body shop experience, PB with his body shop and classic/street rod knowledge, all the pro detailers and enthusiasts with many years of detailing.

DC really has grown into quite a resource. Kudos to you folks who regularly share your wealth of knowledge and experience to help out others. Also props to Dwayne for starting the site and growing it into what it is today.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

Natty

P.S. no matter how much sense it makes or how well it works taking dry sandpaper to an automotive finish scares the beejeezus out of me! (had to work that word in again )
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

Post Thanks / Like
    Koop, most times I`ve done and seen sanding between one stage is when there is someone trying to do custom work and blend colors, sometimes three or four and then there is actually more than one stage I guess...
    Yes Laquer is a PITA, but to keep a classic Rolls Royce or Porsche or even some Sweet old Caddy`s or LaSalles as original as possible, they came with Laquer and owners, who I must say are not money conscience, want it perfectly original.
    I did a Caddy a few years ago on it`s way to the Caddilliac/Lasalle Nationals, the car was mostly original except the paint...the painter not knowing that the car was going to be in this type of competition, clearcoated the whole car, including the 1/2 vinyl roof At that point it was too late...I had the car pristine and then of course it rained and the owner had to do the final detailing at the show...he got 99 points, lost 1 point for the clearcoat..but still won..some people just won`t move forward with technology...it is much easier to maintain than Laquer too.
    Yes Natty it is great that Dwayne has allowed an open forum to get good information to those who want it....even if we`re talking about products he doesn`t handle(yet).

I'm just a man.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Poorboy
    Koop, most times I`ve done and seen sanding between one stage is when there is someone trying to do custom work and blend colors, sometimes three or four and then there is actually more than one stage I guess...
    Yes Laquer is a PITA, but to keep a classic Rolls Royce or Porsche or even some Sweet old Caddy`s or LaSalles as original as possible, they came with Laquer and owners, who I must say are not money conscience, want it perfectly original.
    I did a Caddy a few years ago on it`s way to the Caddilliac/Lasalle Nationals, the car was mostly original except the paint...the painter not knowing that the car was going to be in this type of competition, clearcoated the whole car, including the 1/2 vinyl roof At that point it was too late...I had the car pristine and then of course it rained and the owner had to do the final detailing at the show...he got 99 points, lost 1 point for the clearcoat..but still won..some people just won`t move forward with technology...it is much easier to maintain than Laquer too.
    Yes Natty it is great that Dwayne has allowed an open forum to get good information to those who want it....even if we`re talking about products he doesn`t handle(yet).
    That`s a really cool idea with mixing colors of single! Do you have any pics? I`d love to see that. Also i can understand the fact that some people want to keep there cars ORIGINAL!, but i still hate laquers. And where all rolls royces laquer? The phantom 2 i saw not too long ago sure didn`t look like it was but I could be wrong. It has happend b4.
    The Koop Is BIZZZAAAK

Post Thanks / Like
    Koop ...I was and am not much of a picture guy....usually I`m the one who says..I wish we took a picture .....as it`s rolling away

I`m not sure what year they stopped using Laquer....I believe they are all clearcoated now...but used to deal and detail the older ones....

They were a real PITA too...every one of them have cracks in the stress points around the quarters...similar to early camaro by the back window/quarter

Off the topic.. but...my favorite customer saying is ,"Do you think that`ll come out?"

I'm just a man.
    Post Thanks / Like
    answer: sure it will how much money you got!
    The Koop Is BIZZZAAAK

Post Thanks / Like
    Koop I mean they ask that before you even start..lol

almost time to tailgate tacscar-tim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    <i>origanally posted by poorboy</i>
    <b>Off the topic.. but...my favorite customer saying is ,"Do you think that`ll come out?"</b>
    lol... i always say "i doubt it, but i`ll see what i can do". that way when it does come out they think your a hero. if not... oh well.

Post Thanks / Like
    good point Tim I think that`s two today there has to be limits..lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information