97 bonneville/98 Z71
    Post Thanks / Like

hiding flaws vs removing them

If there are scratches or very minor flaws on a vehicle putting just a wax or polish over it by hand will only just hide the problem correct? Once the wax or whatever product you`re using wears off, you would see the scratch or flaw again? The only way to really remove swirls or flaws is to buff it out with a pc or rotary? Thanks people.
    "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again." John 3:3

I'll figure it out....
    Post Thanks / Like
    yes.

Obsessive Compulsive Detailer Jngrbrdman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The only way to remove swirls and flaws is to buff it out. There is no other option. If you are going to remove a scar, then is covering it with make up going to work? This is the same thing for paint. You have to remove it. If you are removing a scratch on the top of a table then you have to sand it down till the scratch isn`t there anymore. Paint is no different. Filling it with oils or other fillers isn`t a permenant solution. I have a real issue with the verbage on the NXT packaging where it says "Eliminates swirls by filling them". Uhmmm... how do you eliminate swirls by filling them? Its like saying that you are eliminating your hunger by eating. Its not really eliminated if it is going to come back. Once the oils and fillers come out, then that nasty swirl is going to rear its ugly head again.
    ~ ~ www.OCDetails.com ~ ~
    Faster isn`t better. BETTER is better no matter how long it takes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I`m a believer in removing, not covering defects as much as possible even though it can be rather frustrating. I suppose some could call this being a purist.I`m still challenged by some scratches on my scrap fenders. I`ve used all kinds of polishes with my rotary on them. I still have a lot to learn with the rotary.

All of that said ,I suppose circumstances where it would be wiser to hide defects rather then attempt to totally remove them would be when polishing frail,old,rare, single stage, etc paint:something that just cant stand much polishing. In this case best to gloss it up with fillers than risk buring the paint away forever. On modern finishes I`m going to try to stick with actual removal at least until I get just way too frustrated.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Bill D

All of that said ,I suppose circumstances where it would be wiser to hide defects rather then attempt to totally remove them would be when polishing frail,old,rare, single stage, etc paint:something that just cant stand much polishing. In this case best to gloss it up with fillers than risk buring the paint away forever. On modern finishes I`m going to try to stick with actual removal at least until I get just way too frustrated.
    There are times on modern finishes that it is best to hide them as well. On some neglected finishes, there are scratches that if removed would leave either a dangerously thin layer of clear or none at all. Rather than risk destroying the protection and shine that the clear provides, it is sometimes better to just fill the imperfections. That was really hard for me to say cause I strive for the "perfect finish".

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, I did mean not all finishes have to be old in order for them not to have their defects totally removed. He he, yeah, that`s hard for me to say but best to have imperfect paint if the risk of removal is too great :eek
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

97 bonneville/98 Z71
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Jngrbrdman
    The only way to remove swirls and flaws is to buff it out. There is no other option. If you are going to remove a scar, then is covering it with make up going to work? This is the same thing for paint. You have to remove it. If you are removing a scratch on the top of a table then you have to sand it down till the scratch isn`t there anymore. Paint is no different. Filling it with oils or other fillers isn`t a permenant solution. I have a real issue with the verbage on the NXT packaging where it says "Eliminates swirls by filling them". Uhmmm... how do you eliminate swirls by filling them? Its like saying that you are eliminating your hunger by eating. Its not really eliminated if it is going to come back. Once the oils and fillers come out, then that nasty swirl is going to rear its ugly head again.
    Very well said.
    "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again." John 3:3

Boss_429
    Originally posted by kimwallace
    There are times on modern finishes that it is best to hide them as well. On some neglected finishes, there are scratches that if removed would leave either a dangerously thin layer of clear or none at all. Rather than risk destroying the protection and shine that the clear provides, it is sometimes better to just fill the imperfections. That was really hard for me to say cause I strive for the "perfect finish".
    I agree completely. If you are working on your personal vehicle, or on a vehicle that is "taken care of", you may feel comfortable that removing the ocassional scratch/imperfection with some serious buffing will be fine. However, If you feel comfortable with knowing that you have pretty good idea of what scratches/imperfections can be removed safely, and how to remove them safely, and you won`t have to do it frequently........... then go for it (I do ).

When working on a vehicle that is not always taken care of, or that may require frequent buffing to remove the imperfections, it might be best to work at partially removing them (knock the edges off) and then hide the rest............ with an understanding with the owner/customer as to "why" you are only hidding the marks.

The same goes if you are not comfortable analyizing what it will take to remove the imperfections.............. hence the theory "Start with the least abrasive product first"!

Thread Information