Post Thanks / Like

Porter Cable 7424

Would appreciate a little feedback as to which pads to buy to go with my new 7424 PC. It only came with the the 6" foam polishing pad and the hook and loop backing pad.

While I`m waiting on cutting pads, how effective will the white foam pad that came with it be? Will it polish better than my Gem?

Also, was I correct in taking out the 5" counterweight and replacing it with the 6"? (I wish they would have included an allen wrench for the backing plate - I had a hell of a time finding the right size).

Thanks,
    Onthespot
    "I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself."

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    The pads I use:
    PC white pad - Meguiars #9
    Meguiar`s polishing pad - SEC
    Meguiar`s polishing pad - AIO
    Meguiar`s finishing pad - UPP

Fortunately for me, my paint is in good shape on my vehicles. so more aggressive pads and products have not been necessary.

I think several people use cutting pads with #9 and with Meguiar`s DACP.

I also think some people use a finishing pad with AIO.

The white pad that comes with the PC is nothing great, but it doesn`t seem to be total junk either. Mine has been used several times with #9, and is still in very good condition.

My PC, (7336), came with the 6" CW, so I don`t know anything about performance with the 5" CW. Your "allen" screws may have been Torx screws. That might have caused some of the sizing problem for you.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Charles, Thanks for the information...

Onthespot
    "I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself."

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Check into the 7424 pad kit here at the DC online store. If you buy within the next couple days DC members get 10% off by entering the discount code on the checkout form.

Natty
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Natty:
    I think he already has the hook & loop backing plate.

Onthespot:
    If your hook & loop backing plate is 6", you might not want to use Meguiar`s 6.5" pads. Lake Country pads are 7.5" and give more clearance around the backing plate. 4 Star either has them or is in the process of adding them to their product line.
    I have the Meguiar`s 5" backing plate and use the Meguiar`s 6.5" pads. Great combination.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by NattyBumppo
    Check into the 7424 pad kit here at the DC online store. If you buy within the next couple days DC members get 10% off by entering the discount code on the checkout form.

Natty
    Just place`d my order....Free shipping..10 percent discount...had to do it...........only ..no Poorboys products yet..will have to wait for next discount window....
    jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you everyone for the feedback and advice. After careful consideration, I decided to call `Top Of The Line` today. They sell 6" velcro-back foam pads at a fairly reasonable price. I got 2 white finishing, 2 black polishing, and 2 yellow cutting pads for $49.50.

Incidentally, the white foam polishing pad that comes with the PC doesn`t do the job to my satisfaction. I had another boat today, and attempted to polish with my PC, and it just wasn`t cutting it. I ended up holding my heavy Gem Orbital once again, and hand polishing where I couldn`t reach with the Orbital...

Onthespot

Here`s a before picture if anyone is interested...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Here`s the after picture... Older boat.. I guess you just have to do the best you can with what you have to work with:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information