Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Washing in the sun?

I am on the horns of a dilema. Just moved in with the girlfriend, and we live in the city (street parking!!). Anyway, she has a hose bib in the front of her rowhouse, so I can wash the car IF I can get the spot right in front of the house (or relatively close). My only problem is, after about 9 in the morning until about 7ish at night, the street is in FULL sun. No trees for shade (except one a little down the street). What can I do to wash and wax/polish the car? My parents live about 1/2 hour away in the burbs with a nice long driveway, but I don`t want to drive there all the time just to do a little cleaning. Thanks for any suggestions.

-Neil

Boss_429
    Wash before 9 AM, or after 7 PM, or on cloudy days! Don`t know what else to tell you on that one, unless you want to buy one of those portable canopies? Or, you could try and find a new girlfriend with a "shaddy" driveway, or better yet, a garage!

As for the polishes/waxes, you`ll need a product you can apply and remove in the sun, like Poorboys!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup...Exactly..You can wash early in the day..Nowhere near noon hour of course..But I think if you wash before 9am or after 7pm..the sun isn`t hot enough on those hours to dry the water before you get to do a wipe down..

As for polish? You can apply ZAINO in the sun at noon my friend ..and it won`t matter one bit.
    I just did my friends Black Mustang and applied a second coat of Zaino around 2pm. It was over 30 degrees Celcius too.

I don`t have Poorboys product here so I can`t speak for it.
    But I`m sure it`s just as good from what i have read about it.

Or you can always move back out
    The gas pedal always listens..
    The brake pedal doesn`t...
    Drive`em safe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the input. I`ll will have to double check exactlywhen the sun comes over the house and hope it`s not too early. I`ll have to look at my waxes. They are mostly Meg`s. I am looking at getting a house (with a garage) by the end of the year. Unfortunately, that doesn`t help me right now. I guess for heavy duty work, I go to the parents. For washing and light work, I guess I`ll get up early or do it after work during the week.

Thanks,
    Neil

Post Thanks / Like

Early !!!!

I washed my wife`s car 6:30 AM this morning ... Yes my neighbors think I`m nuts !!!
    No buff to tuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats nothing Clean Dean, i started detailing a car at 4:30am yesterday!!!!!!! It was still pitch black outside so no one was even up to think i was nuts hahah. BUt back to the topic.......go to home depot and get a canopy for like 200 bucks. Park the car under it and get started on the interior while the exterior has time to cool down. And do not use the sunlight as a method to dry the car, you will have water spots all over the car.......just give it a wipe down.
    -Danny

Post Thanks / Like
    Hehhaha..I`ve been caught washing at 4am
    I `ve been caught removing Zaino at 5h30 am
    I`ve been caught applying Zaino at 2am..
    Let`s just say..people think I have nothing better to do. My tenant who still goes out to clubs often comes home and sees me in my garage doing something to the car or truck..all the time..
    little do they know the hard work and effort it takes and patience to get these finishes as they are...
    But hey...I have a good work schedule...
    shift work has it`s payoffs.
    The gas pedal always listens..
    The brake pedal doesn`t...
    Drive`em safe.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The answer to your question is Spray and Wipe...it`s a waterless wash..no hoses..no buckets....no mess use it any time any where .....many of my customers are apartment dwellers with no assigned spot and no shade to speak of....

You guys are nuts....the only thing I see at 4:30 am is my inner eye lids....
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Boss_429
    Poorboy,

Roughly speaking, how much S & W would it take to clean a truck like my SuperCrew?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Boss,

Well Natty can tell you some good stories of him getting use to it,

but this is what I think....since we all know the condition of your truck when waxed is this side of immaculate, and i know your going to say I do a lot of outdoor parking and drive on roads so far out of civilzation that only a horse and buggy might have been there before...lol

No really...I think to start you`ll use about 6-10 ounces depaending if you do your wheels and tires too.

When you get really use to using it and they can`t grab it out of you hand..roflmao....You`ll go down to one to two light mists per panel , which should translate to about 3-5 ounces...(with wheels...without tires)

that`s what I think

Others with trucks on this site are Natty and JimS that can give you estimates too....(Natty uses too much:p )

Boss_429
    Thanks Poorboy!

As for my truck being immaculate.................... not hardly! Being an everyday driver, and kept outside 24/7/365, it takes a lot of abuse. Where I live, I have to deal with a lot of pollen, morning dew........... and everything else Mother Nature can throw at it. About the only time it looks "immaculate" is in the afternoon on the day I detail it.

Having said all that, I`ll probably also use too much of the S & W............ just to be on the safe side! Although, initially, I plan on using it for QDing when dusty, rather than washing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Boss ...I knew you would say that is was used and abused..lol

Anyone who has taken a jeweler`s loop to the finish has an immaculate finish underneath what ever dirt there is...roflmao

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would love to use S&W, I just dont think I can afford to use it!
    http://tassadar.ezekial.net

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Question

Originally posted by Tassadar
    I would love to use S&W, I just dont think I can afford to use it!
    Right now, I don`t remember what you drive, but if you don`t have one of those monstrosities that some of these guys drive, (trucks, I think they call them), you can probably clean a moderately dirty vehicle with 2 to 4 oz. of S&W. It does take a couple of times to refine your system, but once you do, a little goes a long way. About $1 to $1.50 per wash is pretty cheap. Based on buying S&W by the gallon, I think you can get by for that.

Charles

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    I drive a 1990 Stang, my little white baby!

But is it cost effective vs. normal shampoo?
    http://tassadar.ezekial.net

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information