Thread: leather

ShineTyme Detailing
    Post Thanks / Like

leather

i was cleaning a car for a friend the other day and i dripped some of megs vinly and leather cleaner ( i think its #40) onto the leather, i went to wipe it off right away and it looks like it almost bleached the leather? has anyone else had this problem? the leather was tan. Do you think the leather was just that dirty? I dont know if 40 is safe on leather or not.

Post Thanks / Like
    #40 is for Vinyl and Rubber - how old is the car? is the leather coated? If so then more than likely yah it is that dirty (if you dripped and wiped right away - I don`t think even bleach would work that fast). If you have some leather cleaner give it a swipe - it may just be that icky
    You have activated my special ability....

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Meguiar`s Professional Product Guide doesn`t say anything about using #40 on leather.
    They call it a Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner.
    While it might not do anything for leather, I`m surprised that it did any damage. It is hard to imagine that the leather was that dirty, though.
    It doesn`t sound like it was a good thing.
    :dunno
    Charles

ShineTyme Detailing
    Post Thanks / Like
    Um, well i did notice that when i went over it realy qucik with lexol leather cleaner it make the spots less noticable, so , maybe the seats just need to be cleaned pretty badly. It was 2000 ford explorer by the way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by HBblazer
    Um, well i did notice that when i went over it realy qucik with lexol leather cleaner it make the spots less noticable, so , maybe the seats just need to be cleaned pretty badly. It was 2000 ford explorer by the way.
    Are you sure it is "leather" and not a leatherette material?

I only ask because I am not sure how many Ford Explorers have actual leather seats.

Anthony
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by HBblazer
    It sounds like it was just a case of too much product dripping onto a concentrated area.

You`re probably right about the seats just needing to be cleaned. Lighter colored leather seems to show signs of becoming soiled very quickly. I recently detailed a three month old Cadillac SUV with light beige leather and had to clean a few soiled areas already.

Thread Information