Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

anyone know what causes wax/sealant to do this

i know its hard to see from these pictures, but sometimes when i am buffing off wax or sealant it causes the surface to have a strange dotted look (kindof like mesh shorts). it has happened in both sun and shade, and with both carnauba and sealant. it happens where i touch with the towel (microfiber or terry cloth), then spreads to where ever the towel touches. it will happen not when buffing off the "light haze" but just after the haze is gone when your rubbing it once more to make sure you got it all. it almost looks like it could be an imprint of the texture of the towels surface??? sorry if this sounds a little confusing but its hard to describe what it looks like, and i was curious what was causing it. any help is much appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    i know it looks like dirt or something on the paint, but its not, the paint is clean except for the sealant.

Post Thanks / Like

_

another picture

Post Thanks / Like
    man ive never had that happen .. could something be on your towels or applicator? are you possibly getting dressing from another area on your rag and when you go over the paint the second time its getting on there. what kind of products are you using?..:bigscream :phone: :phone: :phone:
    back in buisness baby

Post Thanks / Like
    nope nothing on towels or applicators. even if i switch from the towel that i used to buff the "light haze" off with to a new one, it still appears sometimes. not dressing or degreaser, or other chemicals, unless the polish is causing some weird reaction with the wax. It has even happened when i have completely finished a car and it looks great, then i go to brush off some powder or dust with a microfiber, and the weird pattern starts appearing. it doesnt happen all the time, but enough to make me curious. it has happened with turtlewax color polishes, meguirs #9(i think) polish, and poorboys propolish, mothers pure carnuaba (other carnaubas too, but i have used so many i cant remember them all), and exp. next time it happens i will try to take a better picture, i think if i can get a good pic of it, someone will know what it is

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you using MF? I used to get those marks from polishes when I used terry cloths.
    "A car doesn`t have to be the fastest or most powerful to be the love of your life" -Temperacerguy

Post Thanks / Like
    it has happened when i have used microfibers too, but never with polish. it has always happened after i put on the wax or sealant. could it be the polish making the texture, then when i put the wax on top it just makes the texture visable?

Post Thanks / Like
    i shouldnt say texture, cause it doesnt feel like anything, it is smooth. its more of a visual blemish

Post Thanks / Like
    does this only happen on this car?. ive had some clouding occur on my black vehicle when i tried polish, glaze then polymer sealer. the glaze was the problem.
    back in buisness baby

Post Thanks / Like
    it has happened on multiple cars (all dark colored), which means it is probably caused by something i am doing. i dont use glaze so that cant be it. its not a cloudy look, but if you were to take a hunk of pure carnauba paste wax and wrap a pair of mesh shorts around it and then press down on the paint like your using a stamp, that might cause a similar looking result
    Last edited by srj1984; 05-29-2004 at 12:52 AM.

Glorified cleaning lady M23Accord's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    It happens to me when it is very humid outside. Was it humid that day?
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

Post Thanks / Like
    To me, it looks like there was a light mist of rubber/vinyl protectant that landed on the paint and partially wiped off.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Don
    To me, it looks like there was a light mist of rubber/vinyl protectant that landed on the paint and partially wiped off.
    Yep same thought here I get that sometimes after I spray dressing in the wheel wells and the mist gets on the side panels I gotta whipe really good to get it off.
    www.exotiXboard.com

Post Thanks / Like
    it does look similar to tire dressing overspray, but i dont think thats it. when it has happened it has happened all over, like hood or spoiler, spots where overspray shouldnt hit. i know from the crappy pics that it looks like it is something additional on the surface, but there isnt, it almost looks like it could be spots where maybe towel fibers pulled off the wax leaving little holes in the wax layer, and then the color shade difference could be what i`m seeing? well thats my best stab at it, i`ll try to get some better pictures of it though

Post Thanks / Like
    oh whoops, m23accord it wasnt humid the last time it happened probably around 50%. i cant say for the previous times though cause it was a long time ago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information